Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 09:33 PM

56 posts, read 391,768 times

Advertisements

Please tell me what you love about these places and tell me what you don't like very much. I mostly hear all good things about these areas even the schools get good reviews.
Where I live I love that I have good neighbors atleast the ones that are connected to me. I don't like that we are in the city so we are in row homes meaning we are connected. I don't like that we argue over parking spaces. when I put my window up I can't sleep because my street sounds like 95.
Tell me about Irmo, Lexington, and Richland I will be moving to SC next year.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2007, 12:24 AM

6,830 posts, read 16,488,425 times
Irmo is a nice suburban town about 10-12 miles from downtown Columbia. There is alot of shopping in the area, the schools have a good rep and it is close to Lake Murray. Houses away from the lake are reasonably priced. Lexington County and Richland County are very different, so it depends on what you're looking for. Irmo actually straddles the county line and is about half in each county.

As far as counties I prefer Richland. It is more urban (but far from crowded), much more liberal and much more diverse. Lexington County is more conservative and not as diverse. You can find highly rated schools in both counties, so that is a wash. It all really depends on what you're looking for in a home.

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions. I've also got pics of the area on my website:

Last edited by Yac; 06-04-2007 at 12:36 PM.. Reason: link removed, advertising not allowed

Old 07-03-2007, 02:08 AM

3 posts, read 10,901 times
I agree with the previous post that Richland county is more diverse and Lexington more conservative. One thing to be aware of is the public schools in both areas. Each county is divided into several schools within a district. This was different from where I lived in Ohio where a district has a few elementary schools, one middle and one high school. If education is a concern for you, do your homework. Research demographics and VISIT the schools, attend a school function.

I was very concerned with public schools and chose Gilbert. I am still undecided if this was the best choice in the area. I have been told Chapin (near Irmo) and Dutch Fork are considerably better. Gilbert seems fairly friendly, but a little behind the times.

Education aside, Lexington and Irmo both have convenient shopping and dining. Irmo is more urban. Traffic on 26 can be insane and 20 is only slightly better.

If you are looking for a rural community, Lexington still has a lot to offer. Many roads are dirt and dead end. From rural Lexington county you can be in Irmo in 20 minutes. It is not uncommon to find 2+ acre lots in Lexington county. Be aware that taxes just went up in school district 1 and additional increases related to a new fire dept are in the works.

Richland has mainly paved roads and an overall more diversified population.

In my opinion, both areas have great ammeneties but Richland county has more to offer the city slicker.

Good luck.

Old 07-03-2007, 02:21 AM

737 posts, read 1,646,918 times
Depends on what you really want to know I grew up literally on the border of Richland and Lexington counties in the St. Andrews area of Columbia & a stones throw from Irmo. It's a great area to raise a family in, close to lake murray, downtown, and the interstate. I grew up in Richland Co. but my family now currently lives in Lexington Co. I think one of the best things about that area and Columbia in general is the live and let live attitude.

As far as schools you can't go wrong with Irmo, Dutch Fork, or Chapin.

Old 07-21-2007, 02:34 AM

44 posts, read 163,289 times
The 10-12 miles from Colubmia, what does that amount to in travel time during traffic hours? Is it 20 minutes, 40 minutes?

I live in CT where we deal with I-95, and what can be a 20 minute ride at night time, can amount to an hour or more ride during rush hour.

Just curious how the traffic is into/out of Colubmia towards Irmo.

Patty in CT

Old 07-21-2007, 11:05 AM

6,830 posts, read 16,488,425 times
During rush hour it will take 20-30 minutes to get downtown from Irmo - outside of high traffic times it will take 15 minutes tops. I can make it from my home just norht of downtown to the Harbison Blvd exit on I-26 in 12 minutes. The traffic is bad once you get off the interstate onto Harbison, though. (that is where Columbiana Mall is located)

Old 07-22-2007, 02:01 AM

44 posts, read 163,289 times
Wow, only 5-15 minutes longer when dealing with rush hour traffic? Where I live, what should be a 20 minute drive on I-95 on off-peak hours usually takes more than an hour during the rush hour traffic both a.m. and p.m.

Patty in CT

Old 07-29-2007, 08:38 PM

8 posts, read 55,241 times
I live in the northeast area which is a fairly newer and rapidly growing area. The schools here are great. Here is a website that includes lot so of helpful info on both public and private schools (GreatSchools.net). I have found it very insightful in my relocation endeavors. There are lots of subdivisons here in about almost every price range and you are pretty much guaranteed to find any type of property you are looking for. There is a new shopping center (Village of Sandhills) that was completed not so long ago and has many upscale retail shops and fine dining. Hope all the info helps.

Old 07-19-2009, 07:37 PM

4 posts, read 19,079 times
I'm moving to Columbia in two weeks. What is the best district to buy a house in as far as schools?Richland two,lexington, or irmo?

Old 07-19-2009, 07:40 PM

4 posts, read 19,079 times
How is the richland school district?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area