Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2011, 03:18 PM

115 posts, read 244,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
Starting in March, soldiers, civilian workers and some family members will begin relocating to Fort Benning. The pace is expected to pick up in May as schools let out and more families with children make their way to the Columbus area.

By mid-September, Fort Benning is projected to have in its ranks as many as 28,000 more troops, civilian staffers (both Department of the Army and contractors) and spouses with children.

It is going to be a big year for Columbus!!!
Thats good for columbus, but Augusta's Ft gordon has always had a troop presence of around or over 30,000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2011, 04:15 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,667,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-town706 View Post
Thats good for columbus, but Augusta's Ft gordon has always had a troop presence of around or over 30,000.
This is in addition to the current post population. It is like picking up Fort Gordon and adding it to Fort Benning.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:17 AM

7 posts, read 11,337 times
Here are a few statements that clear the air on the BRAC situation locally as posted in local Ledger.
1--There are only 250 more staffers needed to get the training facility up to full strength at about 1,500 workerswhen the dust settles on the massive BRAC expansion at the end of this year,
2--the post’s working population will have swollen from just over 45,000 in mid-2005 to nearly 57,000
3--About 1,500 of the construction workers are expected to go away in 2012 or 2013 as infrastructure is completed on the post.
I think the city once again has been sold another pipe dream but the greed locally is so strong that business owners cannot think logically.

Another Ft Gordon...?
I agree with other posters that the unemployment rate will skyrocket locally with the surge of dependents looking for work locally and will wreck the city tax rates along with a massive crime uptick.The trojan horse is coming Columbus.

Old 01-03-2011, 12:23 PM

52 posts, read 94,807 times
Does it really matter what city is the second larges, that doesnt make it second best. Is there some sort of prize for being 2nd.I've never heard anyone being happy being #2. This state has been dominated and will continue to be dominated by 1 I repeat 1 city.

Old 01-03-2011, 02:04 PM

115 posts, read 244,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outsideperspective View Post
Does it really matter what city is the second larges, that doesnt make it second best. Is there some sort of prize for being 2nd.I've never heard anyone being happy being #2. This state has been dominated and will continue to be dominated by 1 I repeat 1 city.
If your talking about Atlanta than yes but Augusta is growing into its own. I compare Atlanta to L.A. and Augusta as to San francisco or San Diego as far as Georgia is concerned.

Old 01-03-2011, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbelle1970 View Post
Here are a few statements that clear the air on the BRAC situation locally as posted in local Ledger.
1--There are only 250 more staffers needed to get the training facility up to full strength at about 1,500 workerswhen the dust settles on the massive BRAC expansion at the end of this year,
2--the post’s working population will have swollen from just over 45,000 in mid-2005 to nearly 57,000
3--About 1,500 of the construction workers are expected to go away in 2012 or 2013 as infrastructure is completed on the post.
I think the city once again has been sold another pipe dream but the greed locally is so strong that business owners cannot think logically.

Another Ft Gordon...?
I agree with other posters that the unemployment rate will skyrocket locally with the surge of dependents looking for work locally and will wreck the city tax rates along with a massive crime uptick.The trojan horse is coming Columbus.
You forgot some really good info from the article

BEFORE BRAC
$110 million:
Monthly salaries generated at Fort Benning (annual total of $1.32 billion)
$250 million: Monthly regional contracts with businesses at post ($3 billion annually)
$4.3 billion: Current total economic impact of post on the area

AFTER BRAC
$35 million:
Additional annual contract/salary impact ($420 million per year)
$986.3 million: Increase in annual sales in region
$246.2 million: Increase in annual salaries/income on post
$5.97 billion: Projected total economic impact of post after BRAC expansion ($1.65 billion more than before BRAC)

Fort Benning has estimates that 70% of the new incoming population will live, eat, and shop off post in Columbus. The University of Georgia's Selig Center predicts between 4,000 and 6,000 additional jobs will be created off post to handle the growing demand. According to the local chamber, there will be 4 spinoff jobs created for every 1 new job associated with Fort Benning. Looks like Columbus is in a good place to me!!! Provide all of the facts next time .

Old 01-03-2011, 07:56 PM

Quote:
You forgot some really good info from the article

BEFORE BRAC
$110 million: Monthly salaries generated at Fort Benning (annual total of $1.32 billion)
$250 million: Monthly regional contracts with businesses at post ($3 billion annually)
$4.3 billion: Current total economic impact of post on the area

AFTER BRAC
$35 million: Additional annual contract/salary impact ($420 million per year)
$986.3 million: Increase in annual sales in region
$246.2 million: Increase in annual salaries/income on post
$5.97 billion: Projected total economic impact of post after BRAC expansion ($1.65 billion more than before BRAC)

Fort Benning has estimates that 70% of the new incoming population will live, eat, and shop off post in Columbus. The University of Georgia's Selig Center predicts between 4,000 and 6,000 additional jobs will be created off post to handle the growing demand. According to the local chamber, there will be 4 spinoff jobs created for every 1 new job associated with Fort Benning. Looks like Columbus is in a good place to me!!! Provide all of the facts next time .
These are more estimates of possibilities not facts.Selig has struck out nearly every year but I guess eventually they will screw up and get one right.My question to you is where is the 30k surge when the article only shows an increase of working payrolled folks of only 12k ?We are all waiting............

Old 01-03-2011, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbelle1970 View Post
These are more estimates of possibilities not facts.Selig has struck out nearly every year but I guess eventually they will screw up and get one right.My question to you is where is the 30k surge when the article only shows an increase of working payrolled folks of only 12k ?We are all waiting............
Feel pretty confident with the economists and chamber on their estimations .

Old 01-04-2011, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Feel pretty confident with the economists and chamber on their estimations .
Where are the 30k?

Old 01-04-2011, 09:02 AM

On their way. Population surge isn't expected to begin until March.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA