Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 07:37 PM

150 posts, read 395,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy_DRK View Post
What established identity does Columbus have besides being a town with a military base? What's attracting many people to relocate or visit Columbus outside of the surrounding rural areas besides Ft. Benning? Nothing.
1. Military locating anywhere is a good thing. These are citizens that are considered responsible, many with families, and they will spend their money here.
2. What's attracting and will attract people here are top companies like Aflac, and TSYS. TSYS posted an 8% profit today for the second qu alone. The Whitewater Project will turn the Chattahoochee River into a world class whitewater course and bring thousands from around the country to Columbus by 2012. BRAC alone, with the relocation of thousands of troops, is already showing itself as a good move with the construction of Fort Benning Technology Park off I-185 and the National Infantry Museum.

So the real question is have you visited Columbus recently? It's face is changing everyday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 03:10 AM

25 posts, read 52,816 times
Still another post mentioning the military. That's my point. You guys cant mention anything about Columbus without mentioning Ft. Benning. It's the only identity of the city. Ask someone in NY if they're going to Columbus, Georgia to visit Aflac or experience a "world class" whitewater course. You guys kidding me? Columbus would only be this exciting for someone who grew up in a rural county.

I said an IDENTITY. You guys think the name Columbus, Georgia rings bells with people nationwide because of a whitewater course or TSYS???? lol Columbus has no identity outside of Ft. Benning.

I bet you guys believe that when people first think about AFLAC they think of "Columbus, GA" before the duck.

Old 07-27-2011, 05:31 AM

5,616 posts, read 8,645,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danmandr View Post
1. Military locating anywhere is a good thing. These are citizens that are considered responsible, many with families, and they will spend their money here.
2. What's attracting and will attract people here are top companies like Aflac, and TSYS. TSYS posted an 8% profit today for the second qu alone. The Whitewater Project will turn the Chattahoochee River into a world class whitewater course and bring thousands from around the country to Columbus by 2012. BRAC alone, with the relocation of thousands of troops, is already showing itself as a good move with the construction of Fort Benning Technology Park off I-185 and the National Infantry Museum.

So the real question is have you visited Columbus recently? It's face is changing everyday.
Excellent post!

Old 08-01-2011, 08:21 PM

783 posts, read 1,161,419 times
Quote:
What established identity does Columbus have besides having a military base nearby
Well, Columbus-Phenix City is not really a place with an identity that would attract tourists or whatever, if that's what you're looking for, but the identity, the character, of the town and surrounding areas is strong and unique.

A true Southern City with connections to a past of military influx, so many of the natives (myself included) are not even descended from the natives... yet this is what has made the town, the identity, the /character/ of this town unique from other cities of same size and ilk around the south. This may have begun directly after the Civil War with Reconstruction, usually considered to be a bad time, but it was a growing time, a literal time of rethinking and rebuilding, then not long after that, the founding of Camp Benning... hmmm, I feel an essay coming on, and Columbus-Phenix City deserves that, or an epic novel or two.

Which brings us to Carson McCullers. Pick up any of her books and be transported to Columbus during the era of change, early to mid 20th Century:

Carson McCullers - Wikinfo

Carson McCullers (February 19, 1917 – September 29, 1967) was an American writer. She wrote novels, short stories, and two plays, as well as essays and some poetry. Her first novel The Heart is a Lonely Hunter explores the spiritual isolation of misfits and outcasts of the South. Her other novels have similar themes and are all set in the South. She was born Lula Carson Smith in Columbus, Georgia in 1917 of middle class parentage. Her mother was the granddaughter of a plantation owner and Confederate War hero. Her father, similar to Wilbur Kelly in The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter, was a well-to-do watchmaker and jeweler of French Huguenot extraction.

--
Shadowville Speedway & other songs:
Will Dockery | Columbus, GA | Rock / Blues / Folk Rock | Music, Lyrics, Songs, and Videos | ReverbNation

Old 08-01-2011, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmandr View Post

Jeeze, as John Lennon said:

"I tell them there's no problems, only solutions."

--
Shadowville Speedway & other songs:
http://www.reverbnation.com/willdockery

Old 08-10-2011, 02:08 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,960,654 times
Columbus has some great buffets. At least they did a few years ago when I was there.

Old 08-15-2011, 04:38 PM

5 posts, read 6,749 times
Quote:
Still another post mentioning the military. That's my point. You guys cant mention anything about Columbus without mentioning Ft. Benning. It's the only identity of the city. Ask someone in NY if they're going to Columbus, Georgia to visit Aflac or experience a "world class" whitewater course. You guys kidding me? Columbus would only be this exciting for someone who grew up in a rural county.

I said an IDENTITY. You guys think the name Columbus, Georgia rings bells with people nationwide because of a whitewater course or TSYS???? lol Columbus has no identity outside of Ft. Benning.

I bet you guys believe that when people first think about AFLAC they think of "Columbus, GA" before the duck.
The "identity" associated with any town is based only upon a historical reputation, main industry, or popular attraction. Fort Benning is known around the world as the home if the US Army Infantry, the US Army's Jump School, and many American leader's have walked the halls of the Officer Candidate School. It seems to me that's quite enough to wrap a town's identity around, though being the home and final resting place of John Stith Pemberton (creator of Coca-Cola) may be of more international significance in some circles.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:22 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,645,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaPony View Post
The "identity" associated with any town is based only upon a historical reputation, main industry, or popular attraction. Fort Benning is known around the world as the home if the US Army Infantry, the US Army's Jump School, and many American leader's have walked the halls of the Officer Candidate School. It seems to me that's quite enough to wrap a town's identity around, though being the home and final resting place of John Stith Pemberton (creator of Coca-Cola) may be of more international significance in some circles.
Good post.

Old 08-22-2011, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
Definitely think it is possible. The growth of Lee County and the continued growth of Columbus will push Columbus to new heights. BRAC's growth will have impact for years as companies locate to the area to support Fort Benning. Might not make it as far as MSA, but it will definitely make it by next year as far as city population. Columbus will regain its #2 status very soon.
I agree, things are looking up all around this area!

Old 08-22-2011, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaPony View Post
Great points, the military influence, as I've written before, is what definitely gives our area a unique edge as far as "Identity", which seperates us from the typical southern town identity, but in a very differnt way than, say, Atlanta has managed this.

Throw in such cultural icons as Ma Rainey & Carson McCullers & there's plenty of variety & unique identity being projected from Columbus & surrounding areas.

--
Red Lipped Stranger / Will Dockery & The Shadowville All-Stars:
http://youtu.be/qBhcN1WK144
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
View detailed profiles of: