Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 12:09 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,655,794 times

Advertisements

Much more urban??? Not quite. That's a good mid-day laugh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 12:13 PM

934 posts, read 1,347,403 times
I laughed too when I seen the comparison.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:16 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,655,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by River_Dawg View Post
I laughed too when I seen the comparison.
Just love the fact that you made mention of Columbus surpassing Augusta in population. Do me a favor, read through the threads and see what I have posted regarding what is happening/proposed for this area. There is nothing in Augusta that comes close to it.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:35 PM

Lets be honest, people are not flocking to Columbus. They have orders to be stationed at Fort Benning. I'm sure whatever the residents can't find or on base they will venture off base to Columbus.

Old 06-19-2012, 03:20 PM

78 posts, read 132,764 times
That video of Augusta really doesn't look all that different than Columbus. In fact, the first part looks eerily similar to our Veterans Parkway and the second part isn't much different than our Uptown.

Who cares anyway? Let's face it, outside of Atlanta, Georgia is sorely lacking in terms of second tier cities. We should be supporting each other in these places to make the state as a whole more attractive to outside businesses and families. There is a huge void that BOTH cities can help fill. If it wasn't for the Masters and Paula Deen, I'm not sure many people would be able to name another Georgia city or reason for coming here. That needs to change, and both Columbus and Augusta can lead the way.

I'm excited about the potential projects that have been rumored here in Columbus. I hope most, if not all, of these plans come to fruition. The mayor seems to be committed to pushing Columbus into the 21st century and helping us shake off the "sleepy Southern milltown" vibe.

Old 06-19-2012, 03:32 PM

You make great points. I waiting for the Fall Line Freeway to connect us. Maybe then we will be able to compare our respective cities more accurately. But there is a difference.

Old 06-19-2012, 03:53 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,508 posts, read 15,107,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
Just love the fact that you made mention of Columbus surpassing Augusta in population. Do me a favor, read through the threads and see what I have posted regarding what is happening/proposed for this area. There is nothing in Augusta that comes close to it.
You've been saying the comment since 2006-2007, and Columbus still has the smaller population between the two.. Even if BRAC allows Columbus to become larger than A/RC, Muscogee will still have to surpass Richmond County in population next... There's nothing special in Columbus which is crushing Augusta....

Old 06-19-2012, 06:49 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,913,242 times
I honestly don't think Columbus will pass Augusta in terms of city numbers due in part that most of the big name projects have only began construction. Lets face it, I doubt all those new residents will settle outside of Augusta. Augusta has too much steam, and it will only take 1 more mega project to seal the deal, and the Augusta Corporate Park is very lonely this time of the year.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:58 PM

2,663 posts, read 4,846,349 times

I agree with CCGoofBall they are both similar,but lets not kid ourselves though. Columbus does have the upper hand on the urban theme. South Commons is much bigger than any other entertainment district outside of Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA