Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2012, 07:39 AM

192 posts, read 385,375 times

Advertisements

Are there any good Asian markets in Columbus?

I suppose wishing for a Super H Mart would be a pipe dream? I'm already mourning that there are no Trader Joe's, Aldi, Kroger, Whole Foods and QuikTrip's in Columbus (I'm re-locating from the Atlanta area, probably around the beginning of June).

I usually do the bulk of my grocery shopping at Aldi, and then supplement with Whole Foods or a local farmer's market and Kroger. Aldi saves me a TON of money on groceries, and I'm really quite surprised that there isn't one in Columbus yet.

Anyway, I also enjoy trying new recipes that require a stop at an Asian market for specialty items. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 09:30 AM

5,616 posts, read 8,653,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabernet View Post
Are there any good Asian markets in Columbus?

I suppose wishing for a Super H Mart would be a pipe dream? I'm already mourning that there are no Trader Joe's, Aldi, Kroger, Whole Foods and QuikTrip's in Columbus (I'm re-locating from the Atlanta area, probably around the beginning of June).

I usually do the bulk of my grocery shopping at Aldi, and then supplement with Whole Foods or a local farmer's market and Kroger. Aldi saves me a TON of money on groceries, and I'm really quite surprised that there isn't one in Columbus yet.

Anyway, I also enjoy trying new recipes that require a stop at an Asian market for specialty items. Any suggestions?
Aldi is rumored to be coming to Columbus in the Midland area. We have The Fresh Market. Whole Foods is rumored as well.

Check out these Asian places:

1) Ker's Seafood Market & Oriental Grocery
2) Oriental Foods and gifts
3) Hodoree Oriental Grocery Store

Old 03-06-2012, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
Aldi is rumored to be coming to Columbus in the Midland area. We have The Fresh Market. Whole Foods is rumored as well.

Check out these Asian places:

1) Ker's Seafood Market & Oriental Grocery
2) Oriental Foods and gifts
3) Hodoree Oriental Grocery Store
That's great news! Thanks for your reply!

Old 03-06-2012, 06:52 PM

Quote:
That's great news! Thanks for your reply!
Welcome! When are you visiting the city again?

Old 03-07-2012, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
Welcome! When are you visiting the city again?
I'm actually driving down tomorrow afternoon (Thursday), having a meeting with some folks at NCR already down there Friday, and then looking at more apartments and driving back to Atlanta on Sunday.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:37 AM

Quote:
I'm actually driving down tomorrow afternoon (Thursday), having a meeting with some folks at NCR already down there Friday, and then looking at more apartments and driving back to Atlanta on Sunday.
Awesome enjoy your trip tomorrow!

Old 03-12-2012, 07:56 AM

Just thought I'd report back on our visit this past weekend. It was a much nicer trip this past weekend than our first visit. Besides still being somewhat in shock about being re-located the last visit - it rained the entire time we were there, which didn't help our mood much, or leave us with a favorable impression. And it didn't help when the server at dinner the first night asked us why we would consider moving to Columbus when she couldn't wait to leave! LOL

In any case, the two of us are middle aged (I'm 45, he's 51) and we realized that though we love the Atlanta area, we don't take advantage of the city like we did when we were younger. Now we work, come home and relax during the week and do our running around on the weekends. We don't club any more, so that's not important to us.

The things we'll miss are the places we've grown accustomed to, as I listed in my original post. But - hearing that Aldi may be coming to the Midland area is great news! Now if we can just get Trader Joe's and Whole Foods to come to Columbus, I would be a happy woman! LOL

This past weekend was a little longer - we drove down on Thursday, and I had a meeting that morning and we had the afternoon free. We went to The Front Porch of the South, and I bought a really cute wall hanging for the new place and some ramekins I've been looking for. And we found Columbus Park Crossing which was really nice.

This visit, my boyfriend kept saying "I like how clean Columbus seems this time".

Saturday, we looked at 4 different apartments, then went down to Broadway and had lunch at the Cannon Pub. Went back to the hotel afterwards, and decided it was too nice to stay in the room on such a beautiful day and we needed to get the dog out for a little while, so we searched for some local parks and found that Cooper Park was closest to where we were staying, and so we headed over there.

What a nice park! I can see us planning to spend many lazy Saturday's there and cooking out and just enjoying the day there!

So - I guess I say that we're ready for this move! Just need to get my package paperwork signed and find out the date for the move! We've narrowed down our apartment choices between two Greystone properties and Hamilton Station (the newer phase).

We did like one of the Whisperwood 3 bedroom layouts, but quickly realized that while we love kids, there were a LOT of kids playing and screaming out in the parking lots when we were there, and that we would prefer a more mature complex. LOL

Old 03-12-2012, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Just thought I'd report back on our visit this past weekend. It was a much nicer trip this past weekend than our first visit. Besides still being somewhat in shock about being re-located the last visit - it rained the entire time we were there, which didn't help our mood much, or leave us with a favorable impression. And it didn't help when the server at dinner the first night asked us why we would consider moving to Columbus when she couldn't wait to leave! LOL

In any case, the two of us are middle aged (I'm 45, he's 51) and we realized that though we love the Atlanta area, we don't take advantage of the city like we did when we were younger. Now we work, come home and relax during the week and do our running around on the weekends. We don't club any more, so that's not important to us.

The things we'll miss are the places we've grown accustomed to, as I listed in my original post. But - hearing that Aldi may be coming to the Midland area is great news! Now if we can just get Trader Joe's and Whole Foods to come to Columbus, I would be a happy woman! LOL

This past weekend was a little longer - we drove down on Thursday, and I had a meeting that morning and we had the afternoon free. We went to The Front Porch of the South, and I bought a really cute wall hanging for the new place and some ramekins I've been looking for. And we found Columbus Park Crossing which was really nice.

This visit, my boyfriend kept saying "I like how clean Columbus seems this time".

Saturday, we looked at 4 different apartments, then went down to Broadway and had lunch at the Cannon Pub. Went back to the hotel afterwards, and decided it was too nice to stay in the room on such a beautiful day and we needed to get the dog out for a little while, so we searched for some local parks and found that Cooper Park was closest to where we were staying, and so we headed over there.

What a nice park! I can see us planning to spend many lazy Saturday's there and cooking out and just enjoying the day there!

So - I guess I say that we're ready for this move! Just need to get my package paperwork signed and find out the date for the move! We've narrowed down our apartment choices between two Greystone properties and Hamilton Station (the newer phase).

We did like one of the Whisperwood 3 bedroom layouts, but quickly realized that while we love kids, there were a LOT of kids playing and screaming out in the parking lots when we were there, and that we would prefer a more mature complex. LOL
Glad to hear your trip went well. If you like parks or are looking for a nice place to go for a walk, check out Weracoba Park in Midtown. Very old section of the city that is similar to Grant Park or Piedmont Park in Atlanta. Nicer in my opinion compared to Cooper Creek. Also the RiverWalk downtown is a very nice place to ride bikes or take your dog for a walk.

Columbus has just about everything any major Atlanta suburb will have along with many of the city amenities that you are looking for. If you like downtown living, consider renting an apartment downtown at the Eagle & Phenix Mill that is being redeveloped. It is within walking distance of all of the Broadway restaurants and entertainment options. It will overlook the Chattahoochee and new whitewater course that will be finished early next year.

Lake Bottom Park/ Weracoba Park < Sports < Visitors < Columbus Georgia Convention & Visitors Bureau - Georgia travel, antique shops, hotels, restaurants, shopping, tours, Ft. Benning

Eagle & Phenix Mills,*riverfront loft condominiums*located in Uptown Columbus, Georgia.

When are you guys planning on moving? If you have any other questions I will be more than happy to help!

Old 03-12-2012, 01:55 PM

Thanks! Looks like we'll be moving at the end of May. I'll have to check out that other park that you recommended.

I'm not really interested in living downtown, but I do appreciate the recommendations. :-)

We've got a lot of de-cluttering to do between now and then, and a lot to get finalized before the move - but we're more excited about it now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA