Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2014, 02:22 PM

97 posts, read 134,443 times

Advertisements

Why is everyone so excited about Costco? Not that I dislike them, just personally never liked the concept of Costco or Sams. But if it were to happen, the best location would have to be Midland. There isn't enough room at CPC for something that big (unless it goes beside Sam's Club, which I don't think that would work out). No other part of Columbus has been growing and has the land to support it.

I could definitely see something that big plus additional restaurants at the old Swift site. Maybe Taco Mac?? The biggest problem I am seeing with Columbus now is that there is no entertainment, other than whitewater and movie theaters. What is there to do other than eat and shop really?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2014, 03:34 PM

967 posts, read 1,073,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog23 View Post
I really hope Costco is willing to budge on their policy of wanting free land, because I honestly don't think ANY of the local real estate companies/land owners are going to be willing to give away valuable commercial real estate, regardless of whether it would eventually attract other upscale tenants. Is that an all-or-nothing policy with Costco? Because if it is, it will probably be years before we get a Costco here. Has any other retail company ever succeeded in obtaining free development land in Columbus (serious question)?
From the original mention of Costco asking for lands for $1 a year, it said it was word on the street. That may have been just a rumor and not really a fact. Let's hope it's not really the case.

Old 09-30-2014, 03:57 PM

967 posts, read 1,073,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by admedlin View Post
Why is everyone so excited about Costco? Not that I dislike them, just personally never liked the concept of Costco or Sams. But if it were to happen, the best location would have to be Midland. There isn't enough room at CPC for something that big (unless it goes beside Sam's Club, which I don't think that would work out). No other part of Columbus has been growing and has the land to support it.

I could definitely see something that big plus additional restaurants at the old Swift site. Maybe Taco Mac?? The biggest problem I am seeing with Columbus now is that there is no entertainment, other than whitewater and movie theaters. What is there to do other than eat and shop really?
I do agree in that I think we could use some more entertainment options. On the other hand we do have some other options such as various events downtown, Hockey games, events at the Civic Center, a number of theaters, and if you are willing to drive a little ways, there are events at Callaway Gardens, Auburn football in Auburn, FDR state Park. The things I'd reall like to see are some kinds of amusement parks, or water parks added to the area, as well as more big name entertainers and musicians brought to the area. I think in recent years it's improved somewhat but I think more could be done. I did see mention of an indoor water park as part of the Brick Yard project as well as a country music themed celebrity venue. I'm not much for country music but I still think it would be a much needed addition.

To comment on Costco, I'd prefer Costco to Sams. I have a Sams membership now, but I'd switch over the moment Costco arrived. I think from reading comments a lot of people want more options for groceries other than Wal-Mart. I think it's one of the reasons I'm excited about Aldi which is soon to open.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:45 PM

2,663 posts, read 4,844,120 times
Columbus,Ga not having entertainment is one of the biggest lies EVER.

The Springer
The River Center
Hollywood Connection Arcade
Whitewater
South Commons
National infantry Museum
Calloway Gardens
Westville (coming soon)
IMAX
Art and history museum (second largest in GA)
The Zipline
Lake Oliver Marina

Old 10-01-2014, 12:04 AM

147 posts, read 232,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by admedlin View Post

I think that one of the primary reasons people are pushing for a Costco is because, if they do decide to build one here, it will be one of the first truly "upscale" nationally-known retailers to come to Columbus. So it would almost set a precedent confirming to other upscale retailers that yes, Columbus CAN support more expensive retail options. Up until this point, Columbus seems to have historically struggled to attract these kinds of retailers, so hopefully things will be changing direction soon. I do think it's surprising that Montgomery can attract not only a Costco, but also other upscale retailers such as Banana Republic, Williams & Sonoma, etc. I mean, what kind of demographic advantage does Montgomery have over Columbus?!

Old 10-01-2014, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog23 View Post
I think that one of the primary reasons people are pushing for a Costco is because, if they do decide to build one here, it will be one of the first truly "upscale" nationally-known retailers to come to Columbus. So it would almost set a precedent confirming to other upscale retailers that yes, Columbus CAN support more expensive retail options. Up until this point, Columbus seems to have historically struggled to attract these kinds of retailers, so hopefully things will be changing direction soon. I do think it's surprising that Montgomery can attract not only a Costco, but also other upscale retailers such as Banana Republic, Williams & Sonoma, etc. I mean, what kind of demographic advantage does Montgomery have over Columbus?!
Quote:
I mean, what kind of demographic advantage does Montgomery have over Columbus?!
One word,LOCATION!

Not to mention Alabama land is cheaper to build on than Georgia's.

Old 10-01-2014, 06:40 AM

153 posts, read 274,770 times
Location is definitely a factor,but there could be several other reasons. I am not saying that Columbus has ALL of these issues working against it,but there is likely more than one problem. There are more factors, but the ones listed are the most important. I did not include city proper population because it is not a main deciding factor.
  • corridor traffic counts(high traffic volume,daily and annual)
  • interstate connection
  • metro area size
  • urban population
  • trade area size
  • tourism
  • visitor spending
  • median household income
  • targeted audience(age,race,gender,interest,etc)
  • proximity to major/mid-major cities
  • cost of living(used to determine amount of disposable income)
  • diversity
  • surrounding(current high end retail/office space/high density residential/restaurants in the area)
  • population density(10 mile radius,30 mile radius)

Old 10-01-2014, 07:26 AM

97 posts, read 134,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbuskidd92 View Post
Columbus,Ga not having entertainment is one of the biggest lies EVER.

The Springer
The River Center
Hollywood Connection Arcade
Whitewater
South Commons
National infantry Museum
Calloway Gardens
Westville (coming soon)
IMAX
Art and history museum (second largest in GA)
The Zipline
Lake Oliver Marina
I guess what I mean for lack of entertainment is for a "younger" crowd. Most college kids and early 20's don't really want to go to the Springer, River Center, Infantry Museum, most of Callaway Gardens, museums, most of that list. Not that they are bad venues, just not very entertaining.

What I'm thinking is Dave & Busters or similar, outdoor concert areas big enough to attract big name artists, water park, etc. Maybe just my opinion. I'm not going to move because of this, but better options may attract younger business people and entrepreneurs.

Old 10-01-2014, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenHigh05 View Post
Location is definitely a factor,but there could be several other reasons. I am not saying that Columbus has ALL of these issues working against it,but there is likely more than one problem. There are more factors, but the ones listed are the most important. I did not include city proper population because it is not a main deciding factor.
  • corridor traffic counts(high traffic volume,daily and annual)
  • interstate connection
  • metro area size
  • urban population
  • trade area size
  • tourism
  • visitor spending
  • median household income
  • targeted audience(age,race,gender,interest,etc)
  • proximity to major/mid-major cities
  • cost of living(used to determine amount of disposable income)
  • diversity
  • surrounding(current high end retail/office space/high density residential/restaurants in the area)
  • population density(10 mile radius,30 mile radius)
Quote:
corridor traffic counts(high traffic volume,daily and annual)
interstate connection
metro area size
urban population
trade area size
tourism
visitor spending
median household income
targeted audience(age,race,gender,interest,etc)
proximity to major/mid-major cities
cost of living(used to determine amount of disposable income)
diversity
surrounding(current high end retail/office space/high density residential/restaurants in the area)
population density(10 mile radius,30 mile radius)
Rate this post positively
You can't be saying all this while comparing Columbus to Montgomery.

Old 10-01-2014, 08:54 AM

69 posts, read 121,394 times
Just my opinion, but I see a Costco going up in Auburn/Opelika before (or instead of) Columbus. I would be fine with that, but I'm in Smiths and we go that way for most everything now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA