Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 07:05 PM

1,415 posts, read 1,095,507 times

Advertisements

Fulton County Brown Field Airport, realign the east-west runway to parallel the river (longer runway), and expand Marta links to the Airport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2012, 11:31 AM

5,616 posts, read 8,661,029 times
Regardless, Columbus should still move forward with expanding the airport and adding more flight destinations.

Old 10-03-2012, 06:56 AM

196 posts, read 231,831 times
The problem with the airport in Columbus is that it is more expensive than ATL. If so much money is spent and wasted to expand the Columbus airport, that money will have to be recouped somehow and I imagine it would be through taxes or maintaining high ticket costs.

Myself and everyone I knew just drove to ATL and flew out of there because it was cheaper, even if you threw in the additional cost of the shuttle bus.

Old 10-03-2012, 02:00 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,624,036 times
It's a study and it will bring an economic boost to the area. Every other airport in GA is more expensive than Hartsfield-Jackson so that's not really a point. I think it's to lessen the air traffic at HJ and Columbus isn't in a bad spot.

Old 10-04-2012, 01:55 AM

Yeah, but what is going to change? People will still drive to ATL because it is cheaper.

Old 10-04-2012, 02:17 AM

2,856 posts, read 4,624,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cozzy View Post
Yeah, but what is going to change? People will still drive to ATL because it is cheaper.

If Atlanta is looking at Columbus for a possible second airport then #1) Flight prices will most likely resemble the prices at HJ #2 It will bring revenue into the Columbus area. If the airport is bought to Columbus I don't think too many people will drive to Atlanta because the purpose is to keep air traffic down at HJ.

Old 10-04-2012, 02:46 AM

Eh, that remains to be seen. Renovation money and overhead due to expansion has to come from somewhere.

I guess we will find out soon enough if Columbus just wasted $300,000 FOR A SURVEY of a high speed rail system to make this work as well.

Old 10-04-2012, 06:46 AM

Flights to Columbus are not that much more than Atlanta. Direct flights to Dallas are about the same. Columbus is dreaming big and is really doing something to separate itself from the other 2nd tier cities in the Southeast. The amount construction that is already going on in this economy is crazy. With SPLOST passed, continued growth in the housing and retail market, and the potential for a major airport expansion and high speed rail, Columbus will be the city that all 2nd tier cities will envy.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:10 AM

I searched a couple destinations and averaged about $100 more per person in Columbus than Atlanta. That can be significant if you have a family.

Remember, the main reason for the expansion is because of the military. Without them, Columbus would be nowhere, so it is not like the city has really done anything itself to create this. It is just expanding to meet the generosity of the government dropping a base there and needing troops for an Army.

I don't really sense the envy.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozzy View Post
I searched a couple destinations and averaged about $100 more per person in Columbus than Atlanta. That can be significant if you have a family.

Remember, the main reason for the expansion is because of the military. Without them, Columbus would be nowhere, so it is not like the city has really done anything itself to create this. It is just expanding to meet the generosity of the government dropping a base there and needing troops for an Army.

I don't really sense the envy.
You apparently know very little about Columbus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA