Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2014, 01:02 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,639,438 times

Advertisements

Great news from Sixel Consulting Group on the expansion of new airlines and routes out of Columbus. The company finally compiled their analysis of expanding air service out of CSG. With the new grant given to the airport, hopefully this will lead to more airlines and future routes. Here are their findings:

1) Columbus Catchment Area Population - 610,924

2) The Greater Columbus Catchment Area Population - 1.2 million

3) Passengers coming from the Columbus MSA - 55%

4) Passengers coming from the Auburn MSA - 24%

5) CSG only retains 9% or 109,000 of the regions passenger opportunity. This leads to huge potential for
additional airlines and routes.

6) 90.5% or 1,092,812 passengers use Hartsfield-Jackson

Primary service target will be focused on Charlotte and Orlando. Next focus will be flights to Chicago, Washington D.C., and Dallas/Fort Worth.

CSG recently received a $750,000 service grant. This will be used to attract American Airlines to the city. Can you imagine having flights to these cities in the future? CSG is a decent size airport with huge potential. Looking forward to future announcements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2014, 01:08 PM

967 posts, read 1,071,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
Great news from Sixel Consulting Group on the expansion of new airlines and routes out of Columbus. The company finally compiled their analysis of expanding air service out of CSG. With the new grant given to the airport, hopefully this will lead to more airlines and future routes. Here are their findings:

1) Greater Columbus Catchment Area Population - 610,924

2) The Greater Columbus Catchment Area Population - 1.2 million

3) Passengers coming from the Columbus MSA - 55%

4) Passengers coming from the Auburn MSA - 24%

5) CSG only retains 9% or 109,000 of the regions passenger opportunity. This leads to huge potential for
additional airlines and routes.

6) 90.5% or 1,092,812 passengers use Hartsfield-Jackson

Primary service target will be focused on Charlotte and Orlando. Next focus will be flights to Chicago, Washington D.C., and Dallas/Fort Worth.

CSG recently received a $750,000 service grant. This will be used to attract American Airlines to the city. Can you imagine having flights to these cities in the future? CSG is a decent size airport with huge potential. Looking forward to future announcements.
That's great! #5 is no surprise, I know our airport is currently underutilized. I know in the past I there were times I would have used the Charlotte, Orlando and Chicago flights had they been available. It will be great to see the airport really taking off! (pun very much intended)

Old 01-03-2015, 09:54 AM

18 posts, read 21,951 times
I've mentioned this before. And I really don't think it will ever ever happen...but Columbus should partner with Ft. Benning, Phenix City, Auburn, and Opelika to build a larger regional airport in Western Alabama. The current CSG airfield is landlocked (and could be better served as a retail/commercial development) and it's more of a hike than it needs to be in order to attract more people from the Auburn/Opelika area.

Old 01-08-2015, 10:42 AM

69 posts, read 121,251 times
They HAD an excellent CSG-DFW route with two flights in and out per day until last June. When they first started (2010 I think), they promised to keep them if both flights were close to capacity. EVERY time I tried to book a flight or flew that route, it was full or almost full. They STILL did away with them. There are SO many families that use DFW with families here at Benning and that was the reason they started that route.

I don't trust them now. I feel like I got burned.

Old 01-08-2015, 11:12 AM

5,616 posts, read 8,639,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Rose View Post
They HAD an excellent CSG-DFW route with two flights in and out per day until last June. When they first started (2010 I think), they promised to keep them if both flights were close to capacity. EVERY time I tried to book a flight or flew that route, it was full or almost full. They STILL did away with them. There are SO many families that use DFW with families here at Benning and that was the reason they started that route.

I don't trust them now. I feel like I got burned.
It's unfortunate because of the merger. The Columbus route was very successful. American was actually talking about adding a 3rd flight but the merger happened. I can see them coming back. I would like to see Southwest come in. That would open Columbus up to a lot of routes.

Old 01-09-2015, 12:49 PM

105 posts, read 149,194 times
Would love to see Columbus get more airlines and routes. Your airport is very nice and has a lot of opportunity for growth. With large corporate base, Fort Benning, and Auburn just down the road, Columbus would do well. Definitely more of an opportunity for you guys compared to Macon or Augusta.

Old 01-09-2015, 12:55 PM

69 posts, read 121,251 times
Quote:
I would like to see Southwest come in. That would open Columbus up to a lot of routes.
I agree!

Old 01-11-2015, 05:20 PM

286 posts, read 437,819 times
The Columbus airport would attract even more airlines If they would lower there ticket prices. The Columbus airport is expensive for flights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA