Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 03:04 PM

322 posts, read 602,726 times

Advertisements

While I agree some of the "High Rise Condos" and "just put a Bass Pro there" and the constant "Bring us Costco & Whole Foods" is a bit unfounded - I'll never bash someone for wanting more in Columbus. I also can't tolerate someone who's head is so buried in the sand that they can't see the strides we've made.

We are getting better every day - regardless of metrics and statistics - anyone who's lived in Columbus and engages in the community knows we are better than we were just a year ago, but realistic people see what we can become. We have and are continuing to improve our city. Will we have pitfalls and setbacks - yes, but we will also have triumphs. And in case you haven't seen it, we've won more than we've lost of late.

But that's not enough, we do need more people and more ideas to invest in Columbus - in my mind your part of the solution or part of the problem. These forums are meant to discuss how to solve the problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2015, 05:22 PM

463 posts, read 519,287 times
Man I couldn't have worded it any better.

Old 06-15-2015, 02:49 PM

178 posts, read 209,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldRiverRd View Post
While I agree some of the "High Rise Condos" and "just put a Bass Pro there" and the constant "Bring us Costco & Whole Foods" is a bit unfounded - I'll never bash someone for wanting more in Columbus. I also can't tolerate someone who's head is so buried in the sand that they can't see the strides we've made.

We are getting better every day - regardless of metrics and statistics - anyone who's lived in Columbus and engages in the community knows we are better than we were just a year ago, but realistic people see what we can become. We have and are continuing to improve our city. Will we have pitfalls and setbacks - yes, but we will also have triumphs. And in case you haven't seen it, we've won more than we've lost of late.

But that's not enough, we do need more people and more ideas to invest in Columbus - in my mind your part of the solution or part of the problem. These forums are meant to discuss how to solve the problems.
Sadly you have to identify the problems first before you can work on solutions.
Most local folks are content with settling for less and it shows in so many ways.

Old 06-15-2015, 02:52 PM

I agree with you. What are some ideas you have?

Old 06-15-2015, 03:12 PM

178 posts, read 209,640 times
Columbus is not growing in good jobs/wages and without a steady gain nothing else can grow and last.
The majority of city workers whether young/old or retired are barely getting by with many still living with their parents etc.
I have spoken to several long time sales folks who say that they have no shortage of folks wanting anything and everything from cars/homes/home furnishings etc and they turn away almost 85 percent who cannot even qualify for financing!
That is a problem to be solved that has never been addressed by local leaders because it involves real work and effort.

Old 06-15-2015, 06:56 PM

322 posts, read 602,726 times
No offense, but your talking about the same problems essentially plaguing 80% of small to mid sized cities. Believe me, we need more jobs - a wide range of jobs. I believe the city should be more aggressive in offering incentives, but there's a limit to what the public sector can do.

We don't have interstate and we aren't getting a billion dollar port - but dispite a few thousand people who've moved, the community is growing.

Old 06-15-2015, 07:58 PM

2,663 posts, read 4,842,808 times
Look like the Howard Johnson hotel will be gone. There is a notice to rezone sign right in front of the building.

Old 06-15-2015, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldRiverRd View Post
No offense, but your talking about the same problems essentially plaguing 80% of small to mid sized cities. Believe me, we need more jobs - a wide range of jobs. I believe the city should be more aggressive in offering incentives, but there's a limit to what the public sector can do.

We don't have interstate and we aren't getting a billion dollar port - but dispite a few thousand people who've moved, the community is growing.
I really believe it doesn't matter what we say, or how compelling an argument you make this person is not going to even consider any other point of view. It's really a shame.

Old 06-15-2015, 08:20 PM

124 posts, read 206,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbuskidd92 View Post
Look like the Howard Johnson hotel will be gone. There is a notice to rezone sign right in front of the building.
Great if your talking about the howard johnson motel in downtown. It needs to be demolished and gotten rid of it has many bad reviews and a very low star rating. Something should have been done about this hotel a longtime ago a two star rating for a motel is very bad.

Last edited by columbusgametro; 06-15-2015 at 08:50 PM..

Old 06-16-2015, 07:33 AM

1,405 posts, read 1,851,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbuskidd92 View Post
What's the rezoning to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA