Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2015, 07:42 PM

49 posts, read 53,184 times

Advertisements

Work is underway to clean up and clean out two abandoned riverfront powerhouses that were once part of the Eagle & Phenix Dam. The powerhouses are just south of the 13th Street bridge, behind the Eagle & Phenix residential complex.

http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/news/...e32477223.html

Could a restaurant come out from this revitalization?

Last edited by Kid_of-Wynnton; 08-26-2015 at 07:42 PM.. Reason: Link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2015, 04:54 AM

5,616 posts, read 8,642,473 times
That's my thought. A restaurant overlooking the rapids would be amazing!

Old 08-27-2015, 07:40 AM

1,405 posts, read 1,850,006 times
I've heard 11th & Bay owner is looking to open something closer to Epic-style there, but I've also heard a champagne bar might open there. Seems odd to clean it out before selling it and Uptown Columbus footing the bill (but maybe they're not)

Old 08-27-2015, 11:55 AM

49 posts, read 53,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyers3 View Post
I've heard 11th & Bay owner is looking to open something closer to Epic-style there, but I've also heard a champagne bar might open there. Seems odd to clean it out before selling it and Uptown Columbus footing the bill (but maybe they're not)
A sell could happen next week. (according to the ledger)

Old 09-13-2015, 09:35 PM

36 posts, read 61,093 times
Many years back, our downtown boosters, and economic development planners & promoters tried to court celebrity restaurateurs like Alan Jackson & Ray Charles to build their celebrity restaurants in Columbus since they were considering a spot somewhere in Georgia. Ray Charles passed away. Alan Jackson gave it a thought. But since our Riverfront was still quite empty and somewhat inhospitable at the time, Alan Jackson sought places like Pigeon Forge, Mrytle Beach, or Branson Mo. which had established tourism markets. I believe he settled on Pigeon Forge. Since the Riverwalk is very popular now, and no longer inhospitable, and since whitewater visitors continually pour in by the bus loads, I'd say it's safe to say that putting a restaurant on the river is no longer a bad idea. In fact, there are 2 there now! Epic, and 11th & Bay!
So if anyone wants to give Alan Jackson a tap on the shoulder, have him revisit the thought of putting a celebrity restaurant on the river, RIGHT ON TOP of the Chattahoochee's Whitewater course. Since Whitewater itself is an attraction for Columbus and West Georgia, why not make a celebrity restaurant an attraction in itself as well. Heck! If you get someone like Alan Jackson, he could name his restaurant on the river "Alan Jackson's Way Down Yonder on The Chattahoochee Grill" and put it directly on top of the Chattahoochee itself inside the Old Historic Powerhouse! That in itself would be an attraction besides just Whitewater! kinda like a Hard Rock Cafe or Planet Hollywood! It's just an idea I've had for years. The Powerhouse would be PERFECT for a celebrity restaurant! BTW, the LOWER LEVEL of the Powerhouse should be for the Whitewater rafters to grab a quick cheap bite to eat, and a Gatorade! They work up a hunger and thirst on the rapids! Right now there are temporary ice cream vendors and temporary whitewater outfitters set up outside on the island below the Powerhouse. Maybe put permanent whitewater outfitters down there and sell souvenir T-Shirts on the lower level inside the base of the Powerhouse. The Riverwalk Island at the Powerhouse is attached to the Riverwalk via the pedestrian footbridge, so it continually sees foot traffic. It could be a combined dining, retail, and whitewater tourist complex...right on the water! Maybe even put a few Boardwalk style arcade games, Merry-Go-Round, or puppet shows for the kids! Go all out! Never halfway! You already have the tourist traffic! Use it to your advantage!

Old 09-18-2015, 06:28 AM

967 posts, read 1,071,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobshopper View Post
Many years back, our downtown boosters, and economic development planners & promoters tried to court celebrity restaurateurs like Alan Jackson & Ray Charles to build their celebrity restaurants in Columbus since they were considering a spot somewhere in Georgia. Ray Charles passed away. Alan Jackson gave it a thought. But since our Riverfront was still quite empty and somewhat inhospitable at the time, Alan Jackson sought places like Pigeon Forge, Mrytle Beach, or Branson Mo. which had established tourism markets. I believe he settled on Pigeon Forge. Since the Riverwalk is very popular now, and no longer inhospitable, and since whitewater visitors continually pour in by the bus loads, I'd say it's safe to say that putting a restaurant on the river is no longer a bad idea. In fact, there are 2 there now! Epic, and 11th & Bay!
So if anyone wants to give Alan Jackson a tap on the shoulder, have him revisit the thought of putting a celebrity restaurant on the river, RIGHT ON TOP of the Chattahoochee's Whitewater course. Since Whitewater itself is an attraction for Columbus and West Georgia, why not make a celebrity restaurant an attraction in itself as well. Heck! If you get someone like Alan Jackson, he could name his restaurant on the river "Alan Jackson's Way Down Yonder on The Chattahoochee Grill" and put it directly on top of the Chattahoochee itself inside the Old Historic Powerhouse! That in itself would be an attraction besides just Whitewater! kinda like a Hard Rock Cafe or Planet Hollywood! It's just an idea I've had for years. The Powerhouse would be PERFECT for a celebrity restaurant! BTW, the LOWER LEVEL of the Powerhouse should be for the Whitewater rafters to grab a quick cheap bite to eat, and a Gatorade! They work up a hunger and thirst on the rapids! Right now there are temporary ice cream vendors and temporary whitewater outfitters set up outside on the island below the Powerhouse. Maybe put permanent whitewater outfitters down there and sell souvenir T-Shirts on the lower level inside the base of the Powerhouse. The Riverwalk Island at the Powerhouse is attached to the Riverwalk via the pedestrian footbridge, so it continually sees foot traffic. It could be a combined dining, retail, and whitewater tourist complex...right on the water! Maybe even put a few Boardwalk style arcade games, Merry-Go-Round, or puppet shows for the kids! Go all out! Never halfway! You already have the tourist traffic! Use it to your advantage!
Great ideas there, I wouldn't be suprised if we see some things like that added downtown sometime soon

Old 09-21-2015, 02:33 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,642,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWColumbus View Post
Great ideas there, I wouldn't be suprised if we see some things like that added downtown sometime soon
What we need is another large hotel downtown.

Old 09-21-2015, 05:45 PM

1,405 posts, read 1,850,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
What we need is another large hotel downtown.
A new hotel will come with time, unfortunately it probably won't be the grand convention hotel that we all want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
View detailed profiles of: