Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2019, 05:19 AM

5,616 posts, read 8,655,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYoungProfessional View Post
I agree. It looks like your typical suburban Hampton Inn IMO although 100 times better than what’s been sitting there for years. I wish it would have been taller also but have to come to terms with this not being a “centerpiece” downtown hotel we initially hoped for. I was in Locust Grove today at the Tanger; it’s not much different than the new Hampton sitting next to the outlet. Maybe the AC project will pull through with a more elaborate design in terms of character and height. Overall, the development is welcomed and I’m glad to finally see movement on a centralized downtown hotel!....I sure hope they didn’t destroy the small skyline we have by demolishing the Goverment Center.
I don’t think the government center will be demolished. Don’t see it happening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2019, 12:12 PM

27 posts, read 28,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
Me either i want the government center tower too stay, it's the tallest structure we have in downtown and if it's ever demolished it will be a sad day for downtown columbus. and what little downtown skyline columbus has will be nomore. I pray the government center stays.

Old 03-11-2019, 02:00 PM

297 posts, read 260,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygamble168 View Post
Me either i want the government center tower too stay, it's the tallest structure we have in downtown and if it's ever demolished it will be a sad day for downtown columbus. and what little downtown skyline columbus has will be nomore. I pray the government center stays.
Agreed!!!

Old 03-11-2019, 02:50 PM

2,250 posts, read 2,167,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
Sadly the tower is coming down. They now seeing if being consolidated won't hold them back from moving because of the county seat.

Old 03-11-2019, 03:48 PM

297 posts, read 260,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountain-of-youth View Post
Sadly the tower is coming down. They now seeing if being consolidated won't hold them back from moving because of the county seat.
Has the final decision been made? I know the Historic Columbus Foundation was making a case against demolition, hopefully they have some influence. It’s hard for me to even believe so many people are a supporting this.

Old 03-11-2019, 05:12 PM

2,250 posts, read 2,167,235 times
Quote:
Has the final decision been made? I know the Historic Columbus Foundation was making a case against demolition, hopefully they have some influence. It’s hard for me to even believe so many people are a supporting this.
Not yet. Next up is the rendering and pricing for each option.

Old 03-11-2019, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountain-of-youth View Post
You have no evidence that it will be. It has not been decided.

Old 03-11-2019, 09:52 PM

340 posts, read 321,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygamble168 View Post
what a shame not tall enough only 5 stories, this looks like a hotel you would find on victory drive or north columbus, it's ashame downtown columbus will never have a descent skyline. phenix city might have a better chance of building a skyline than columbus, columbus skyline will just get smaller as the government center is demolished.
At least you didn't get the very underwhelming Hampton Inn comming to Atlanta. They have made design changes since the one in the article, but it is still pretty rough.
https://atlanta.curbed.com/2018/3/12...r-construction

Old 03-13-2019, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric 0_0 View Post
At least you didn't get the very underwhelming Hampton Inn comming to Atlanta. They have made design changes since the one in the article, but it is still pretty rough.
https://atlanta.curbed.com/2018/3/12...r-construction
I wish it had more floors. Something around 8-10 would have been nice. Less of a footprint which could have left more land for future development.

Old 03-13-2019, 09:23 AM

1,406 posts, read 1,856,432 times
Quote:
I agree. It looks like your typical suburban Hampton Inn IMO although 100 times better than what’s been sitting there for years. I wish it would have been taller also but have to come to terms with this not being a “centerpiece” downtown hotel we initially hoped for. I was in Locust Grove today at the Tanger; it’s not much different than the new Hampton sitting next to the outlet. Maybe the AC project will pull through with a more elaborate design in terms of character and height. Overall, the development is welcomed and I’m glad to finally see movement on a centralized downtown hotel!....I sure hope they didn’t destroy the small skyline we have by demolishing the Goverment Center.
I don't think this was ever mean't to be a "centerpiece" hotel. If anything, the Marriott will become the centerpiece, if and when they can add the 100+ extra rooms to this hotel, and connect it to Trade Center.

If you look-up Hampton Inn Saraland, AL, you'll see what this prototype looks like built. This is the first one in Alabama built, and Columbus will be the first in Georgia. I assume the facade board will have lots of comments and make them change some of the Broadway-facing entrance and materials. They have opinions too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA