Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2019, 12:48 PM

176 posts, read 157,015 times

Advertisements

I hope they do find a location in Columbus. I have are a rumor the store in Montgomery has not done well and that staggered some growth into middle sized markets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2019, 01:00 PM

2,250 posts, read 2,161,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1999 View Post
I hope they do find a location in Columbus. I have are a rumor the store in Montgomery has not done well and that staggered some growth into middle sized markets.
I blame every developer not named WC Bradley for the way this city is marketed when it comes to retail and housing.

Old 02-03-2019, 01:02 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,699,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1999 View Post
Plus, there is the semi-failed store in Morrow, that's now a shell of its former self.

As far as the Costco in Coweta County, there are somewhat unique circumstances.

1. The Sam's Club across from it is one of the highest grossing stores in the SE (if not country), so it's a proven market.

2. That Costco is actually intended for Peachtree City. They were trying their damndest to get into PTC proper before the recession, but received a ton of NIMBY pushback. A ton of folks there will go all the way up to Morrow or Atlanta, simply for the experience/quality they offer. Since the original plans for Fischer Crossing as a shopping center failed, they jumped at the opportunity to use that land for their store instead.

They've never been been thrilled about Newnan, because it's more middle class (for now) and has a couple significant low income census tracts. Plus, it already has BJ's.

3. Over 1,000 new homes are going up within a few mile radius of this proposed Costco. I'm sure they're aware of this too (more future customers to pull in).

The Costco proposed in Macon is definitely a surprise though.

Old 02-04-2019, 08:47 AM

3,406 posts, read 1,902,377 times
Bigger Columbus mail being processed through smaller Macon still remains a mystery to me!! POLITICS??

Old 02-04-2019, 08:49 AM

967 posts, read 1,072,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbusboy8 View Post
Bigger Columbus mail being processed through smaller Macon still remains a mystery to me!! POLITICS??

I always thought it was done due to Macon's central location in Georgia.

Old 02-04-2019, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWColumbus View Post
I always thought it was done due to Macon's central location in Georgia.
Not sure why Macon's central location within Georgia would be a factor, since Columbus mail more likely goes
to more far-reaching destinations around the world than mail leaving Macon. Oh well, it is what it is...

Old 02-09-2019, 03:52 PM

427 posts, read 550,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWColumbus View Post
I'm beginning to think more and more that Costco could be a possibility. I know a rep from there said they weren't interested in Columbus but he also said they weren't interested in domestic expansion in the south and yet I'm hearing news of them coming to Newnan and Macon. Last I checked the Macon area had both smaller numbers and a lesser income than the Columbus area. Also while it's part of the Atlanta metro I'd estimate that less people would be likely to visit the Newnan location than one in Columbus. If these new Costcos I've been hearing about are true that seems directly contradictory to what the Costco rep said previously. I'm thinking they had a change of heart about southern expansions. I'm not saying they will be the big box store as part of Midland Commons, but it should be totally dismissed either. The other options I could see would be another Target or BJs and I still think BJs is the most likely choice.
Yeah uhm.... Costco in Columbus is not going to happen. It is a big numbers game to them (Costco) and they don’t like ours. You can still sign the petition if you want, but I will not help lol

Old 02-09-2019, 06:00 PM

I ain't gonna beg and grovel for a Costco, or any other company, to come here! If they can't see opportunity here, so be it.

It's their loss...

Old 02-22-2019, 01:16 PM

14 posts, read 12,951 times
They have almost completely cleared the land where this development will be built. It is much larger than I thought.

Old 02-22-2019, 02:20 PM

1,054 posts, read 880,580 times
The total site is larger than the adjacent retail site, Walmart to IHOP.

But it's got three or four phases to it. I think the grocery store is phase I. Most of that land will sit idle for quite a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA