Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 09:19 AM

2,250 posts, read 2,164,870 times

Advertisements

I-14 might be dead for now,but at least we have US 80,US 27 and US 280. Those three major highways has landed the city a lot of jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2017, 09:19 AM

297 posts, read 259,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountain-of-youth View Post
Have you seen the original plans for i-85? It would have went from 14th Street to 4th Ave and then on to Manchester Expressway.
I've never seen the original plans, but that does seem like an odd route IMO.

Old 10-31-2017, 09:24 AM

967 posts, read 1,073,764 times
Quote:
I-185 should have been expanded to talleshaase in the 90s
Agreed on that, I think there is a need for an interstate going south and east/west out of Columbus. It would make travel through Georgia much easier by providing alternate routes that don't route through Atlanta and it's traffic. It also would help alleviate some of the traffic from 75 and in Atlanta by providing different routes through the state. I'd also like to see a direct limited access route going from Columbus to Auburn and Opelika. At least all that is my dream lol. I'd say the focus at first should be on an east/west route. For Columbus, It would give us a more direct route out west and over to I-75.

Old 10-31-2017, 09:25 AM

2,250 posts, read 2,164,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYoungProfessional View Post
I've never seen the original plans, but that does seem like an odd route IMO.
There's an old interstate map online that shows everything. I-185 was originally supposed stop to in Savannah.

Old 10-31-2017, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
Columbus has done well without a major interstate but would boom if we really had one coming through here.
Absolutely! That's the missing link around the area! I hope another proposal comes up for the extension of I-185. GA 520/US 27 is already limited access through Ft.Benning down to Cusseta; wouldnt take much at all to upgrade that portion to interstate quality. Albany city leaders were pushing this idea about 10 years ago, I wionder what could happen with multiple cities pushing for it collectively (Columbus, Albany, Tallahassee). All 3 could greatly benefit from this if it were to develop.

Old 10-31-2017, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Have you seen the original plans for i-85? It would have went from 14th Street to 4th Ave and then on to Manchester Expressway.
Do you have a link to the original plans? I think it would be interesting to see if there is one out there. I tried a quick google search and didn't find much.

Old 10-31-2017, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYoungProfessional View Post
Absolutely! That's the missing link around the area! I hope another proposal comes up for the extension of I-185. GA 520/US 27 is already limited access through Ft.Benning down to Cusseta; wouldnt take much at all to upgrade that portion to interstate quality. Albany city leaders were pushing this idea about 10 years ago, I wionder what could happen with multiple cities pushing for it collectively (Columbus, Albany, Tallahassee). All 3 could greatly benefit from this if it were to develop.

Multiple cities would definitely be a lot harder to ignore than 1 city. It always felt strange that 185 just ends at Ft. Benning.

I agree that it's the missing piece. It would definitely make it a lot easier to bring more business here.

Someone on here a while back made a comment that when they were looking to have 85 come through Columbus, business owners fought against it because they thought it would bring more companies and more wage competition to the area.

Old 10-31-2017, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWColumbus View Post
Multiple cities would definitely be a lot harder to ignore than 1 city. It always felt strange that 185 just ends at Ft. Benning.

I agree that it's the missing piece. It would definitely make it a lot easier to bring more business here.

Someone on here a while back made a comment that when they were looking to have 85 come through Columbus, business owners fought against it because they thought it would bring more companies and more wage competition to the area.
I was completely shocked when I first found out that the interstate just ended. It wasn't something I really looked at or paid attention to beforehand but it just seemed very odd at that time.

But definitely multiple cities could potentially pull this off opposed to going after it alone; All 3 of these primary areas have a significant amount to gain economically and all would all be able to put up a strong backing for it.

I like the east-west I-14 proposal as well, but the I-185 extension just seems more practical IMO. Plus, our southern counterparts (Albany, Tallahassee) would fight just as hard as they are somewhat "underserved" as it relates to interstate connectivity as well. Our eastern-western counterparts (Macon, Montgomery), lets just say they aren't hurting for interstate access both with 2 primary's and 1 secondary serving their respective areas.

Old 11-01-2017, 06:55 AM

Why Columbus could not attract an Amazon distribution center | Columbus Ledger-Enquirer

This is a perfect example of the affects of Columbus's lack of an interstate.

Old 11-01-2017, 07:14 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,245,104 times
Quote:
I-185 should have been expanded to Tallahassee in the 1990's.
Extending Interstate 185 to Tallahassee, Florida, remains a wise idea and a necessity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA