Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 12:25 PM

19 posts, read 19,616 times

Advertisements

1.Lack of jobs for college grads. The vast majority of jobs in Columbus pay like $10 an hour. The local chamber of commerce only focuses on retail, food service, temporary industrial and distribution centers and ignores professional jobs.

2. Lack of educated young people/ hipsters/ young professionals. At least this means that poor and working class people don't have to worry about being gentrified out of their neighborhood.

3. Columbus is very boring. There is very little to do besides shopping and dining and you have to make a day trip to Atlanta or Florida to do anything fun.

4. If you're not a conservative christian you won't have much in common with the people here. Even the democrats here are socially conservative.

5. Very limited dating scene for people who aren't in school, especially for single professionals. The majority of single women, even those in their 20s have kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2017, 01:45 PM

297 posts, read 259,960 times
If you hate Columbus that much, I would probably suggest leaving....there are many options available

Old 10-29-2017, 06:25 PM

161 posts, read 170,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatecolumbusga View Post
1.Lack of jobs for college grads. The vast majority of jobs in Columbus pay like $10 an hour. The local chamber of commerce only focuses on retail, food service, temporary industrial and distribution centers and ignores professional jobs.

2. Lack of educated young people/ hipsters/ young professionals. At least this means that poor and working class people don't have to worry about being gentrified out of their neighborhood.

3. Columbus is very boring. There is very little to do besides shopping and dining and you have to make a day trip to Atlanta or Florida to do anything fun.

4. If you're not a conservative christian you won't have much in common with the people here. Even the democrats here are socially conservative.

5. Very limited dating scene for people who aren't in school, especially for single professionals. The majority of single women, even those in their 20s have kids.
Columbus has 50+ 80k or above IT and Tech jobs open currently. I suggest you focus on developing a skill set that is marketable and you job options will become more promising. Focusing all of your “I hate columbus” into energy bettering yourself would be time well spent.

Old 10-30-2017, 12:07 PM

I'm saving up to move to Atlanta to study software engineering. Here's an analogy to explain why i'd rather live in a big city than a small town. If you could stay in a 5 star hotel vs a sketchy Motel 6 for the same price, which would you choose?

Old 10-30-2017, 12:23 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,653,289 times
Quote:
I'm saving up to move to Atlanta to study software engineering. Here's an analogy to explain why i'd rather live in a big city than a small town. If you could stay in a 5 star hotel vs a sketchy Motel 6 for the same price, which would you choose?
You have a lot to learn about Atlanta and the cost of living there. You obviously have never lived there.

Old 10-30-2017, 06:21 PM

161 posts, read 170,624 times
Quote:
Software Engineering is being rapidly outsourced, you might reconsider and look into Cyber Security. It is one of the fastest growing areas with years of demand ahead. Good luck in Atlanta, it is far from a 5 star hotel. I hire numerous Sr Professional that want out of Atl.

Old 10-30-2017, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
You have a lot to learn about Atlanta and the cost of living there. You obviously have never lived there.
If you're in Columbus and you want to live in a neighborhood where you're not the only person who's single and without kids you have to pay Atlanta prices to live in Uptown Columbus. You could rent an apartment in an upper middle class suburb like Alpharetta or Dunwoody or even an older building in Midtown or Buckhead for what it costs to live in Uptown Columbus.

Old 10-30-2017, 08:44 PM

Quote:
If you're in Columbus and you want to live in a neighborhood where you're not the only person who's single and without kids you have to pay Atlanta prices to live in Uptown Columbus. You could rent an apartment in an upper middle class suburb like Alpharetta or Dunwoody or even an older building in Midtown or Buckhead for what it costs to live in Uptown Columbus.
No not really. I own a property in Dunwoody and it rents for $2400 per month. Every apartment in the vincity is around $2k for something nice and updated. You don't know what you are talking about. My fiancées 1br studio apartment in Brookhaven was $1400 per month a year ago. Alpharetta isn't cheap either. Check out Avalon prices and tell me what you think.

Old 10-31-2017, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
No not really. I own a property in Dunwoody and it rents for $2400 per month. Every apartment in the vincity is around $2k for something nice and updated. You don't know what you are talking about. My fiancées 1br studio apartment in Brookhaven was $1400 per month a year ago. Alpharetta isn't cheap either. Check out Avalon prices and tell me what you think.
You obviously don't know how to look for apartments. The only place where a 1 bedroom apartment costs $2,000 a month is in the northeast
and west coast. Columbus is fine if you're an older conservative christian who's married with kids but I prefer to live somewhere more lively and progressive.

Examples of apartments I'd like to live in on apartments.com

Columbus
Eagle and Phenix Mill 1 bedroom 940-1250
11th street lofts 1 bedroom Starting at 1148

Alpharetta
Lakeside at Milton Park 1 bedroom Starting at 1030

Dunwoody
Lofts at Perimeter Center 1 bedroom Starting at 1129

Last edited by ihatecolumbusga; 10-31-2017 at 07:38 AM..

Old 10-31-2017, 09:00 AM

Quote:
You obviously don't know how to look for apartments. The only place where a 1 bedroom apartment costs $2,000 a month is in the northeast
and west coast. Columbus is fine if you're an older conservative christian who's married with kids but I prefer to live somewhere more lively and progressive.

Examples of apartments I'd like to live in on apartments.com

Columbus
Eagle and Phenix Mill 1 bedroom 940-1250
11th street lofts 1 bedroom Starting at 1148

Alpharetta
Lakeside at Milton Park 1 bedroom Starting at 1030

Dunwoody
Lofts at Perimeter Center 1 bedroom Starting at 1129
LOL I developed apartments for years around Atlanta, Charlotte and Birmingham. I am part owner of two apartments, one in Lagrange and the other in Warner Robins. So yea I kind of know what I'm talking about. Also own several properties in Columbus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA