Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2018, 08:44 AM

3,408 posts, read 1,901,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYoungProfessional View Post
Agreed! At most I would hope that the city will partner with CSU to renovate/upgrade Memorial (If and when they get a football team) to use as its home stadium. Other than that, CSU actually has a pretty nice campus present day IMO.
CSU's Main campus, and Riverfront campus are both beautiful and very nice as they are now. I'm sure that the other side of University Ave. will become part of a future expanded main campus.

An upgraded Memorial Stadium would be PERFECT for a CSU football team! Some SMALLER colleges in Georgia already have football teams, so it's just a matter of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2018, 10:38 AM

297 posts, read 259,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbusboy8 View Post
An upgraded Memorial Stadium would be PERFECT for a CSU football team! Some SMALLER colleges in Georgia already have football teams, so it's just a matter of time.
Many smaller colleges/universities (some with enrollment way lower than CSU) have football programs. I honestly just don’t think it’s a priority of the university. I remember this being a conversation over 10 years ago and it still being one. One thing I can say about CSU is that they execute on just about everything that they prioritize at any given time; I just don’t feel that football is one of them. Adding a football program would make the university even more attractive and further stimulate growth IMO. I’m optimistic, as that is one thing missing in Columbus specifically (even though Auburn is close by). I think a hometown football would do extremely well on all fronts for the university as well as for the community.

Old 03-28-2018, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYoungProfessional View Post
Many smaller colleges/universities (some with enrollment way lower than CSU) have football programs. I honestly just don’t think it’s a priority of the university. I remember this being a conversation over 10 years ago and it still being one. One thing I can say about CSU is that they execute on just about everything that they prioritize at any given time; I just don’t feel that football is one of them. Adding a football program would make the university even more attractive and further stimulate growth IMO. I’m optimistic, as that is one thing missing in Columbus specifically (even though Auburn is close by). I think a hometown football would do extremely well on all fronts for the university as well as for the community.

I agree with you on ALL counts!! Local high schools produce great college football players, including many who move on to the NFL. There is a lot of talent here that could feed CSU and produce a competitive team!

Old 03-28-2018, 10:56 AM

2,250 posts, read 2,160,062 times
We also need the Bradley to bless downtown with a grocery store. Hopefully a whole foods.

Old 03-28-2018, 11:20 AM

1,690 posts, read 2,794,905 times
I took my kids down to the ice skating rink yesterday. Wow- I was really surprised at how nice it was! If my back wasn't screwed up right now, I would've been out there too. I can't wait to take them again.

Old 03-28-2018, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeetheUSA View Post
I took my kids down to the ice skating rink yesterday. Wow- I was really surprised at how nice it was! If my back wasn't screwed up right now, I would've been out there too. I can't wait to take them again.
I "see," SEEtheUSA, that you and your family are settling in nicely in Waverly Hall, and are getting out and about in Columbus! Be sure to check out my "MANY Things to Do in Columbus, GA" thread in this forum for a LOT of other local places to explore! Just recently, my wife, Mom, and I visited the Columbus Botanical Garden on Weems Rd. It had been about a year since our last visit, and we were amazed at how much nicer it has become. If you go, take a picnic basket and visit the Sam Wellborn Camellia Garden. It's beautiful!

Old 03-28-2018, 02:34 PM

1,054 posts, read 880,353 times
The CBG has really come into its own. I've been a member and (sporadic) volunteer there basically since year 1. If anyone reading this enjoys going to botanical gardens, absolutely consider becoming an individual or household member.

A household membership costs $50/year and gets us unlimited free entry, a Better Homes and Garden sub, 10% discount at area nurseries, AND free admission at tons of other gardens. I've probably saved a couple hundred dollars at Atlanta Botanical Gardens alone (warning to those of y'all in North Columbus or Harris Co. there's a 90 mile exclusion they do check and enforce), not to mention a dozen or so others around the country.

I'm an entry level member of a few other groups around the area and the Garden is by far the highest ROI out of the bunch.

Old 03-28-2018, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayHey View Post
The CBG has really come into its own. I've been a member and (sporadic) volunteer there basically since year 1. If anyone reading this enjoys going to botanical gardens, absolutely consider becoming an individual or household member.

A household membership costs $50/year and gets us unlimited free entry, a Better Homes and Garden sub, 10% discount at area nurseries, AND free admission at tons of other gardens. I've probably saved a couple hundred dollars at Atlanta Botanical Gardens alone (warning to those of y'all in North Columbus or Harris Co. there's a 90 mile exclusion they do check and enforce), not to mention a dozen or so others around the country.

I'm an entry level member of a few other groups around the area and the Garden is by far the highest ROI out of the bunch.
Thanks for your input, and for your service as a CBG volunteer, sporadic, or not. CBG is such a relaxing and enjoyable place. Your suggestion of becoming a member is a good one, and provides excellent value! The day we were there we met Sam Wellborn, who was there as part of a Garden fund-raising campaign. He's a very interesting man, and a true supporter of all things Columbus. He'd make a good mayor!

Old 03-29-2018, 12:07 PM

41 posts, read 29,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountain-of-youth View Post
We also need the Bradley to bless downtown with a grocery store. Hopefully a whole foods.
There should be an Aldi downtown. Not in the conventional sense but that blends in with the urban atmosphere with parking hidden behind the store.

Old 03-29-2018, 12:53 PM

41 posts, read 29,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbusboy8 View Post
CSU's Main campus, and Riverfront campus are both beautiful and very nice as they are now. I'm sure that the other side of University Ave. will become part of a future expanded main campus.

The main campus, if you merged some of the buldings would be an excellent high school campus. What public school has an indoor pool as part of its athletic facilities? These are common elsewhere in the country. Plus being right next to the mall it'd keep that place on live support.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA