Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2009, 08:39 AM

74 posts, read 202,164 times

Advertisements

Which cable systems are most people in the Columbus are happy with? So since I'm moving, I thought it'd be a good time to consider the different services. I can get Mediacom, Charter or Knology. I'll be getting expanded basic cable and internet. I'd consider satellite except for the Internet thing. I have a cellular internet card right now. It's not bad, but I'd like a little more speed... The main thing is to be able to see the Braves on basic or expanded basic cable.

I read the rules of the forum and didn't see anything re: mentioning specific company names, just no posting of consumer complaints. So, if you suggest a good service, just mention why you like them, don't mention bad experiences. I couldn't figure out how to message a moderator. So if there's an issue with this post, please just let me know. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboutmetro View Post
Which cable systems are most people in the Columbus are happy with? So since I'm moving, I thought it'd be a good time to consider the different services. I can get Mediacom, Charter or Knology. I'll be getting expanded basic cable and internet. I'd consider satellite except for the Internet thing. I have a cellular internet card right now. It's not bad, but I'd like a little more speed... The main thing is to be able to see the Braves on basic or expanded basic cable.

I read the rules of the forum and didn't see anything re: mentioning specific company names, just no posting of consumer complaints. So, if you suggest a good service, just mention why you like them, don't mention bad experiences. I couldn't figure out how to message a moderator. So if there's an issue with this post, please just let me know. Thanks.
For anyone's info, I received an e-mail from Knology that the Peachtree Channel was moved to their digital package. So how's everyone's experience with Mediacom?

Old 05-15-2009, 06:07 PM

244 posts, read 865,712 times
We have Knology and we're very happy with them. I checked the complaint records for the cable companies with the PSC and Charter had the most by far. Knology had very little so we decided to go with them.

Old 05-20-2009, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saharaga View Post
We have Knology and we're very happy with them. I checked the complaint records for the cable companies with the PSC and Charter had the most by far. Knology had very little so we decided to go with them.
Do you have a link to that website? Does it have it broken down by area, or anything. I'm definitely not defending Charter, but it could be because Knology has a very small system compared to Charter. It would be good to know a ratio of complaints to subscriber.

Old 05-21-2009, 08:22 AM

244 posts, read 865,712 times
You'll have to contact the Public Service Commission to get the number of complaints for each cable company but when I checked it out back in 2007, Charter had over 70 complaints for the previous year and Knology had around 5 or so. If I recall correctly, Mediacomm was almost as bad as Charter. The PSC does not publish information for the cable companies since they are not regulated but they do take cable complaints from consumers so they'll be able to tell you how many complaints they've gotten.

I honestly did give Charter a chance since they sent so many promotions to our house but when I called to get more details, the more questions I asked, the more the offer seemed to morph into something completely different. That's a red flag for me so I hung up and called Knology. No hassles. They gave me the promotion they advertised, our installation went off without a hitch, and the few times we've had to call, they addressed our issues promptly.

Knology's BBB Rating...http://columbusga.bbb.org/WWWRoot/Re...493&firm=10270

Last edited by saharaga; 05-21-2009 at 08:31 AM..

Old 05-21-2009, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saharaga View Post
You'll have to contact the Public Service Commission to get the number of complaints for each cable company but when I checked it out back in 2007, Charter had over 70 complaints for the previous year and Knology had around 5 or so. If I recall correctly, Mediacomm was almost as bad as Charter. The PSC does not publish information for the cable companies since they are not regulated but they do take cable complaints from consumers so they'll be able to tell you how many complaints they've gotten.

I honestly did give Charter a chance since they sent so many promotions to our house but when I called to get more details, the more questions I asked, the more the offer seemed to morph into something completely different. That's a red flag for me so I hung up and called Knology. No hassles. They gave me the promotion they advertised, our installation went off without a hitch, and the few times we've had to call, they addressed our issues promptly.

Knology's BBB Rating...Columbus, GA: Check Out a Business or Charity
Thanks Sahara.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:32 AM

Also, I've considered satellite. I have a wireless internet card from a cell provider now. It's o.k. But I'd like more speed. Does anyone have any experience with Internet services provided by the satellite companies like DirectTV?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA