Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2010, 08:14 PM

30 posts, read 72,650 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I've been on a couple of forums with a desire to M.O.V.E. away from my hometown. I am a single AA Mom with a middle & high schooler. We live in a diverse neighborhood, but my children attend suburban schools (predominately white) with "high" rankings. My daughter is interested in modeling/acting and my son plays football and is in gifted classes.

I am tired of living in a city that has high crime (we've had our 1st murder in 2010 already!) narrow-mindedness, and lack of activities for my children. The unemployment rate here is very high and the depression is catching. I'm an optimist who loves life so this is not the place I want to be anymore. I know what may be enjoyable & livable to some may be the opposite for others, so I understand if some of the responses will be deemed bias.

As mentioned above, I don't know EXACTLY where I want to reside, but good schools (with parent/teacher communication, high acedemics), diversity, activities for children, and shopping malls is a must. Our city may lack in jobs, amenities/activities, but we have a lot of grocery stores (5 Super WalMarts, Aldis, Kroger, Meijer) shopping centers, and restaurants! It would also be nice to go to a nice comedy/jazz club every now and again too.

We are also christians (COGIC) so a good church is a plus as well. I am seeking a 3-bed to rent in the $750-800 range if that helps.

I've been on the Triangle, Indy, & Pittsburgh forums and I got the most advice/opinions from the Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill area. (Thanks!)

I want to hear from the Georgians about the Savannah area. It will be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Nin Tai; 01-02-2010 at 09:08 PM.. Reason: Savannah Thread
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2010, 09:53 AM

94 posts, read 362,618 times
Well, if you don't want high crime, mark- out the Savannah area. I would consider Columbus, Augusta, or if you are a small town girl, check out Valdosta. I lived in Savannah and my house was robbed in a supposedly GOOD area, so, yeah. Columbus's schools are fantastic considering that Britt David Elementary was numero uno in the state and Columbus high was third, but has scored numero uno in the past years, and it is a Liberal Arts Magnet. Savannah's schools SUCK, for the lack of a better word, trust me! So, hoped that helped!!

Old 01-03-2010, 05:37 PM

50 posts, read 216,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nin Tai View Post
I am tired of living in a city that has high crime (we've had our 1st murder in 2010 already!) narrow-mindedness, and lack of activities for my children.

This is exactly what you'll find in Columbus as well!

Old 01-04-2010, 12:59 PM

30 posts, read 72,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer_195 View Post
Well, if you don't want high crime, mark- out the Savannah area. I would consider Columbus, Augusta, or if you are a small town girl, check out Valdosta. I lived in Savannah and my house was robbed in a supposedly GOOD area, so, yeah. Columbus's schools are fantastic considering that Britt David Elementary was numero uno in the state and Columbus high was third, but has scored numero uno in the past years, and it is a Liberal Arts Magnet. Savannah's schools SUCK, for the lack of a better word, trust me! So, hoped that helped!!

Thanks for your response! Wow, some of the threads I read said Columbus had the high crime?? I definitely don't want that being our crime rate is high too unless you live in the 'burbs. I will check out the schools you've listed, but can you give me a middle school and the "nicest" area?
Thanks!

Old 01-05-2010, 11:53 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,240,040 times
Howdy. Used to substitute teach in Muscogee county so have some experience with all the high schools and most of the middle schools.

I'm not going to lie to you and say Columbus doesn't have a lot of crime but it's mostly contained in the predictably bad neighborhoods. There are some nice middle class black neighborhoods in Columbus but the schools unfortunately don't do as well as the suburban schools you're used to.

So yeah recommend sticking to the northside especially since you don't know the city as well. Also your child will have to be admitted into Columbus versus just showing up so give it a try but you know your son if he's not into hitting the books Columbus might not be the school for him.

Middle school: Veterans Memorial, Blackmon Road and Midland. Midland is going to be the most diverse. The assistant principal is a swell guy but he does not take any crap. Daniel is really diverse too but I just liked Midland more. Daniel has some of the richest kids in town going to school with some of the poorest so if that type of background is important to you then that's something to consider. Arnold is a mixed bag but has a good magnet program. I know Veterans Memorial has drama classes.

High school: All the schools have some type of magnet program. Most recommended Northside and Shaw. Hardaway is a mixed bag these days. I subbed there and had some rough classes and also some awesome classes. I wouldn't go out of my way to send my kid there but if he was assigned there I wouldn't go out of my way to send him to another school. I never had behaviorial problems at Kendrick if anything those kids cracked me up but also kinda apathetic about their work but not as rough as other high schools on the southside. Carver is a rough school but the magnet program is really small so the kids seemed to form a strong connection because they had all of their core classes together and the class sizes were small too.

Columbus is nice and a better city than it was when I was growing up so I say go for it. But have a job secured before coming down here though.

Old 01-10-2010, 06:35 PM

201 posts, read 350,232 times
I agree....the majority of the crime in Columbus in contained to certain areas. This is probably true in all areas. I have been living in Phenix City (across the river from Columbus) for almost 6 years and the only issue I had was when I went to the Russell County Courthouse & someone broke into my car. I wasn't being very smart & left my purse in my car & it did not occur to me that criminals actually go the Courthouse. LOL. Sometimes I think we bring things upon ourselves. We have to be smart about what we do because there definitely are sorry people in the world.

Old 01-22-2010, 11:17 AM

21 posts, read 61,693 times
http://harriscounty.ga.schoolwebpage...hp?sectionid=1Harris County north of Columbus.
Pine Mt.
We have a great HS and MS.
Our MS Football team just went undefeated for GA.
The head Coach for Alabama came yesterday to look at one of our boys @ HCHS.

We have www.callawaygardens.com
The Little White House near by in www.warmspringsga.com
www.kingspasture.com This is a great church where there is a lot going on. They have a large number of teens here. Great youth pastor also.
Pine Mountain is a beautiful little small town.

Last edited by knoxgarden; 01-22-2010 at 06:03 PM.. Reason: removed copyrighted material; violation of TOS

Old 03-30-2010, 10:15 PM

594 posts, read 3,436,111 times
Does anybody know what can i do to get on housing in columbus.I was looking at baker village in south columbus but im kinda scared in a way because im white and south columbus is a high crime area.Because everytime you turn the news on you always here about someone always being robbed or shot or killed in south columbus.So if anyone has any advice about what i can do to get on housing in a good area of columbus i would apperciate it.thanks

Old 05-04-2010, 03:51 AM

4 posts, read 8,660 times
I hope you will get well settled over here...All the best for that!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA