U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2010, 01:31 AM

122 posts, read 385,430 times

Advertisements

I'm looking into moving to the Columbus area in the next few weeks or month and am curious about commute times. I have family in Zanesville and Roseville. It looks like I may have a place to stay in the Roseville area which will be virtually rent free for me which would be a private apartment to myself.

I am planning on finding a job in the Columbus area. I'm unsure where yet as I have not begun to apply yet, but I am wondering the the commute from Roseville to Columbus would be?

I understand it's going to be a very long commute and a lot of gas/wear and tear costs on my car, but as I will be living virtually rent free, I don't think this will be much of an issue cost wise. How would the commute be in summer vs. winter? Rush Hour vs. Non-Rush Hour?

I don't mind driving (but have never driven in snow) and I am not a stranger of long commutes. For the past 5 years, I've had commutes between 20-35 miles one way with time frames of 30-60 minutes. I'm expecting the commute to Columbus to be between 60-80 miles and between 1-1 1/2 hour each way... does that sound about right?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2010, 05:36 AM

147 posts, read 609,852 times
When I lived in Columbus my daughter had in laws in the Zanesville area. From Zanesville into the I 270 outerbelt on the east side is about 40 miles. If you are coming in during the morning rush you will start to get into traffic in the Buckeye Lake/Hebron area. From 270 into downtown is another 5/6 miles and can be an adventure during rush hour. It can take 15/30 minutes for that leg of the commute under normal rush hour circumstances. If you get a job on the west side its another 5/6 miles out to the 270 on the west side. I 270 can also have some heavy traffic, mostly in the Westerville area, and the Worthington/Dublin area. If there is road construction anywhere it will add time to your commute. Learn to drive in the snow. Central Ohio ODOT is notoriously slow about getting the salt trucks out, at least they were when I lived there.

Old 06-19-2010, 07:53 PM

7,525 posts, read 5,384,358 times
When I lived in Columbus I regularly drove on business between Gahanna and Zanesville, 70 to 270. Drive time was about an hour.

Old 06-19-2010, 08:45 PM

122 posts, read 385,430 times
Thanks for the input. It looks like I will be staying in Roseville for sure now. This gives me an idea of what to expect. I'm not looking forward to the commute, but at least I know it's doable at least. A lot more job options in Columbus than there are in this small beach community of 40,000 people I live in now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>