Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2010, 07:49 PM

50 posts, read 201,991 times

Advertisements

My husband and I might be relocating to Columbus. We are in our early 50's and have grown children who do not live with us but occasionally visit. We want to be in a safe area, but an area where we will be able to meet and befriend people of all ages. We are leaving a place where none of the neighbors are "neighborly" and we hate it. Is there anyplace that has a REAL neighborhood? I mean people who talk to each other, that you can give your house key to, maybe hang out, cookouts etc. Do places like that still exist? Our price range is between $150,000. and $230,000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 08:32 PM

1,412 posts, read 4,485,386 times
Just curious how many topics will you make on this similar conversation? You received some nice feedback in this thread. Communities like you describe do exist, but not normally in the city or even the burbs. Small towns have that feel. Perhaps you would be happier in SE Ohio?

//www.city-data.com/forum/colum...area-safe.html

Old 06-29-2010, 09:00 PM

Funny you say that. I grew up in SE ohio and would love to find a place like that.

Are we not allowed to start more than one topic on this forum? I asked about a specific area of one house I was looking at in one topic, and in another topic I gave information about my family and the type of place we are looking to live.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:20 AM

Ohh what part? I lived in Vinton County and Athens County. I was just thinking topics were so similar no worries.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:28 PM

205 posts, read 653,930 times
I will say that we moved to New Albany a little less than a year ago and have been blown away by the "neighborly" attitudes. When we first moved in all of our surrounding neighbors came by to introduce themselves (some with baked goods even!). We've lived in Los Angeles and Detroit prior and never had anything like that happen before. We've become good friends with several of our neighbors and get together for backyard fun as well as meet up at (or walk up to) area bars and restaurants. Columbus in general has been nothing but welcoming and friendly and that is saying alot considering we come from Wolverine territory.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:07 PM

A relief to hear this, behindenemylines.

Momotaro....I grew up in Athens. Would go back in a second. Miss it! I go back at least 2 or 3 times a year to visit friends. Did you live in Athens?

Old 07-01-2010, 08:38 PM

WE did live in Athens, me and my Wife would move back instantly as well.

Old 07-08-2010, 06:14 PM

154 posts, read 504,083 times
Coco, what a great place. Maybe we should move to the same neighborhood. We are looking for the exact same thing. I am tired of not talking to my neighbors everywhere I live. Where are these great neighborhoods if they exist anymore? If there are any neighborhood like this then sign me up! I keep hearing that New Albany is pretty open to newcomers and neighborly. But I am worried that the real estate market is declining.

Old 07-09-2010, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAChick View Post
Coco, what a great place. Maybe we should move to the same neighborhood. We are looking for the exact same thing. I am tired of not talking to my neighbors everywhere I live. Where are these great neighborhoods if they exist anymore? If there are any neighborhood like this then sign me up! I keep hearing that New Albany is pretty open to newcomers and neighborly. But I am worried that the real estate market is declining.

New Albany itself is growing, and usually that is a good sign.

Old 07-09-2010, 07:24 PM

66 posts, read 204,160 times
I would recommend new albany as well, or even Johnstown. If you like the more urban type areas, go for somewhere like Grandview Heights. Hope that helps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus