U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2010, 02:02 PM

9 posts, read 12,409 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I am sorry to have anyone continuously repeat this information but when you view the other posts much of the info can get lost in some of the sub-conversations that start.

We are possibly moving to the area and working at OSU we are trying to find the best neighborhoods for our children. Schools and safety are obviously are number one priority. I have looked at the Reynoldsburg, Pickerington, Marysville and Westerville areas to just name a few. Are these nice neighborhoods and am I missing any others? I would like info on the commute as well. 30 minutes or so is not a problem but don't want to be an hour on a regular basis.

On a lighter note, don't give me any crap about my username. I already know what is awaiting me there but in this day and age you have to go where the jobs are. I have been there on work and Columbus itself is actually a pretty nice city.

Thanks
Scott
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 02:05 PM

Oh yeah. We are looking around 200K or less for a house.

Old 09-22-2010, 07:08 AM

66 posts, read 195,024 times
If you are working at OSU, you might want to look into Grandview, it's very close, has good schools and you might be able to find something for under 200K - and it would be about a 5-10 minute commute w/traffiic.

Old 09-22-2010, 01:25 PM

Thank you for the info but everything for sale there is over 300K. Any other thoughts???

Old 09-22-2010, 02:21 PM

205 posts, read 626,913 times
You will note from my name that I am a Wolverine fan living in Columbus. Moved here a little over a year ago.

I would recommend you look in Gahanna. New Albany does have a few nice homes under $200k in the Plain-Local school district, too. Westerville is another good choice but depending upon whereabouts in Westerville your commute could get up there. Marysville seems to be out of the question for your commute. Not sure Reynoldsburg schools are as good as New Albany, Westerville or Gahanna. I don't know much about Pickerington.

Commutes in Columbus are much better than in Michigan (Metro Detroit anyway). The weather is a bit better and people are generally friendlier - even when they know you are a Wolverine fan.

Old 09-22-2010, 03:55 PM

Thanks for all of the tips. I will look into the areas mentioned. It is nice to know we northerners from unmentioned state are not alone.

Thanks again

Old 09-22-2010, 05:26 PM

19 posts, read 38,509 times
I hate all of you

Actually, Hilliard might be an overlooked option for you. Prices shouldn't be too bad, the schools are decent, and it's a quick hop to OSU.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:03 PM

94 posts, read 341,713 times
We live in the part of Westerville closer to Polaris (Westerville does extend further south closer to 270), but I use the OSU library frequently and it typically takes between 20- 30 minutes to get to OSU. Even when I leave the library at 5:00 pm, the longest it has taken to get home is 40 minutes with traffic (although traffic here in Columbus is nothing compared to where we lived before - Atlanta and Charlotte).

We've really enjoyed living in Westerville - there are great parks, a wonderful community center, lovely historic downtown area, bike trails and it is convenient to the shopping at Polaris and Easton. We live off of Maxtown/Polaris Pkwy and can get to 71 or 270 in less than 10 minutes, so that means we're about 20-25 minutes to just about anywhere we usually go: downtown museums, zoo, airport, etc.

In terms of searching for houses, I would suggest working with a realtor to set up an MLS search with your search parameters and have it emailed daily . . . that way you are also updated as prices are dropped or the status of a property changes. The realtor we used to buy our house actually has a new search set up for us for properties under 200k in the Westerville and Worthington school districts because we're looking for an investment property to rent out, and there are properties in that price range that come up daily.

Good luck on the move!

Old 09-23-2010, 11:01 AM

33 posts, read 73,107 times
Also try Worthington. I live in the Colonial Hills neighborhood and love it. There are houses there in your price range. It is about 15 - 20 minute drive to OSU, depending on traffic. Good thing about Worthinton is that you have many different options of getting you there. You can take 315, 71 or High Street to OSU. Good luck!

Old 09-23-2010, 11:04 AM

205 posts, read 626,913 times
Buy a home. Sell your home. Find an agent. Find a mortgage. Real Living Columbus. is a good place to search for homes in Columbus. I like it because you can search by school district or even by sub.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus