U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2007, 09:05 AM

1 posts, read 3,375 times

Advertisements

Hi I'm from Cleveland and I just got a job in Columbus that starts July 30th and am having a hard time figuring out where to live. My job is in Upper Arlington so I have been looking for 1/2 bedroom apartments/townhomes there and also in Grandview and Dublin, that is where I have been told to look. I was just wondering if anyone knew of specific complexes in these cities i should look at. I am coming down this weekend and would really like to have an idea of which to look at. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to respond to this or e-mail me at daydreamer0118@aol.com.
Thanks in advance
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2007, 04:27 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,522,961 times
Grandview Heights may be another good alternative for you. You will be closer to the entertainment scene (Arena District/Short North), and I think there is more rentals in that area than UA. Anywhere near Grandview Ave & 3rd Ave will allow you walking access to grocery/restaurants/bars. Grandview always, to me, had a bit of a Cleveland feel to it too so you may feel quite comfortable there!

Old 07-13-2007, 12:51 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,469,900 times
Grandview and Dublin are almost polar opposities, Dublin is more suburban and further from downtown and is also almost all new build.

Grandview is near downtown and nice areas of central city columbus.
Do realize that most of columbus' burbs have areas around them that are actually the city limits of columbus but locals or people refer to those areas as the suburban name, simply because columbus is so spread out.

So there is a lot of rentals around Grandview, most of the rentals are not in grandview city limits but just north of the city limits in columbus.
There is an apartment complex called the Meridian on 5th ave near Olentangy River Rd. I would look there, or at Village West an apartment complex in Victorian Village behind the Giant Eagle (Victorian Village is a nice area of columbus just north of downtown and east of Grandview)

Most likely you were referred to Dublin, UA, Grandview, because it is easier to just list off suburban names than to find specific sections of columbus that you may like.

Old 07-14-2007, 09:26 PM

1,409 posts, read 4,700,654 times
Howdy daydreamer, and welcome to Columbus!

If you prefer an area that feels more like home, I'd definitely recommend Grandview or the areas near it. Having lived in both Columbus and Cleveland myself, Grandview strikes me as the most similar to Cleveland, out of all the Columbus places I've hung out in.

Grandview is actually one of three adjacent areas that you'll hear old-timers refer to collectively as the "Tri-Village"—Grandview, Marble Cliff, and Old Arlington (the latter of which used to comprise all of Arlington, before it expanded in the '50s and became "Upper").

5th Avenue and Grandview Avenue are the primary commercial axes of the Tri-Village area—much of which actually lies in Columbus proper (see streetcreed's comment above). Off of these main drags, hundreds of apartments and townhouses can be found: mostly older and loaded with character, some newer but built to actually fit in to their surroundings. You can't really go wrong either way

Dublin is good if you're looking strictly for newer dwellings and surroundings. Almost everything in Dublin was built in the past 30 years since Muirfield started there. It's very spread out and suburban in feel.

In Grandview, development is very dense and you can walk to most places. In fact, parking is such a hassle there you might even be better off without a car. In Dublin, you can't walk to anything and COTA buses are rare—thus you'd need a car to go anywhere!

Old 07-15-2007, 01:07 AM

150 posts, read 955,879 times
Thumbs down Don't live at The Meridian!

I agree with LASam!

I also feel compelled to warn you, the Meridian looks nice, but it really isn't. There seem to be a lot of heavy partiers, and it wasn't uncommon to find vomit in the halls. Seriously. It sort of comes with living so close to campus, so although it was gross, I dealt with it. I never saw any of my neighbors and my individual hallway was quiet, although it wasn't clean.

However, I have never had so many parking hassles.

If you prefer not to have a vehicle towed, you don't want to live there. My husband and I lived there for one year while in grad school, and my Jeep was towed out of the parking garage because someone stole my parking permit (out of my vehicle, in a "secure" garage). Never mind that the complex had my license plate number on file, and I was a resident. The response from management was, "you are responsible for securing your permit." Oh, and the charge for a new permit was $50. After the permit was stolen a second time I called the "parent company" and they arranged to have stickers made for Jeeps and convertibles, and they did not charge me.

Another time we had gotten back from vacation and were unloading our luggage from the car. It took two trips, so we had our flashers on with the trunk open, parked in a spot reserved for 7am to 7pm parking only (it was 10pm and the parking area was otherwise empty). Wouldn't you know, in the time it took to make one trip in, drop the luggage inside and walk back out, the car had been towed. We were literally gone for less than three minutes. We quickly drove to the tow place in our other vehicle, and we were there well before our car! I guess our alternative would have been to park in the garage and haul two weeks worth of luggage down 3 flights of stairs and then back up one flight, as the elevators are sketchy.

The parking garage is "secure," but they leave it open all day long and then the remotes don't work half the time at night, which is troublesome, because if you can't get in, you'll likely get towed! If you have company visiting, they'll probably be towed as well. The Meridian must have a sweet deal with the towing company.

We're not the only ones to which this happened. I would advise you to talk to other residents before renting. The leasing staff will tell you whatever you want to hear, and as soon as you sign the lease, they ignore you (until it's time to renew).

Finally, my last month there, I went to pay my rent on a Saturday (1st of the month) and they had closed early and remained closed Sunday and Monday for a holiday. I didn't leave my rent in the dropbox because it's not very secure (there's even a sign saying they're not repsonsible for anything left in the box). So, I called and left a voicemail message, and as soon as they opened Tuesday morning I took my rent in. The leasing "professional" refused to take it without a $50 late fee, which is not even legal, if you look at Ohio landlord tenant law. I had never paid late in the 12 months of living there, and I explained the circumstances (including vmail message documenting it), but they refused to waive the $50 fee. Now that's customer service!

There are more bad things, but I think I've made my point. I just hate to see new people get suckered into signing that 13-month lease! Perhaps if rent were $400 per month, some of these things would be tolerable, but if you're paying the price for a "luxury" apartment, well, you should get what you pay for!

Since Cleveland is close enough to go to Columbus for a visit, I would urge you to check out privately owned apartments, or go down the street to The Quarry, or maybe even Bermuda Bay.

If you do want to live at The Meridian, check out CL for people looking to sublet...it seems like someone always wants out!

Good luck with your move, and I hope you enjoy Columbus and your new job!

Old 07-26-2007, 09:00 AM

30 posts, read 162,159 times
craigslist.org
rent.com
apartment.com

Dublin is one of those places where you have million dollar homes, but then you also have a pretty run down section of town. The taxes are REALLY high there. I have a condo in New Albany, probably one of the best places to live in Columbus - my condo is about $190 to 200k. That SAME condo, same floorplan, same look on the exterior even, is selling for $230 in Dublin.

I've lived in Columbus for almost a year now and it's still difficult for me to figure out where to buy a house. I heard Upper Arlington wasn't a bad place at all. It seems pretty nice, I've been there a few times for various appointments. It's the same with every other cuburb around Columbus though, good neighborhoods and bad. That's the worst part of Columbus in general, you can't just find a nice suburb and randomly pick a house thinking you'll be in a good neighborhood. You have to do a lot of searching. BUT because there's so much variety here, you can definitely find the perfect place for you!

Old 10-01-2009, 03:23 PM

1 posts, read 2,380 times
Hello,,,i have 3 kids and im in need of a 2 or 3 bedroom apt or house thats under $600 a month and that might have a move in special,,,,low on money,,,got scamed on a house from craigs list,,,,,,,,,please help
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus