Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2011, 11:34 PM

4 posts, read 11,679 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to the Columbus area soon. As I am doing apartment searches, I am noticing a lot of talk of high gas bills and apartments making you pay for your water. Do most apartment buildings in the area provide at least one of those services or am I mistaken?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 10:03 PM

111 posts, read 405,624 times
I can only talk from personal experience where I rented:

Campus area-usually bundled, wasn't too terrible, especially split with roommates

Grandview/Marble Cliff-Paid electric (had electric heat/window unit air) and water, gas was included (stove) (electric was about 50-90 a month, depending on the temp, and water was about 15) <<rent was much higher than below, one person

SW side-Pay gas (central heat/air), water/sewer, electric (split between two of us...gas=30-40/month, water/sewer=20-30 a month depending on melt/runoff water, electric=30-50 a month) however, rent is much cheaper than the close to downtown apartment

So just take this as an example...I would focus on the combo price of utility bills+rent when considering. Think about how much space you have to heat, how new the windows are, keeping in mind the weather will fluctuate quite a bit and there are plenty of advantages/disadvantages between gas and electric heat/air depending on who you ask and what time of the year it is! =)

Personally we prefer the gas heat/central air. It has so far been cheaper. But we usually put plastic up in the winter and use windows a lot in the summer.

One more thing...some areas in Columbus will charge for trash pick-up and city parking permits (especially in the more urban areas), so factor that in too! Any questions, let me know. I'm not sure how clear this response was...ack
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus