U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2011, 04:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,610 times

Advertisements

I am an elementary school teacher relocating to Columbus, OH from Columbus, GA. How promising is the job market for teachers?
I am reading mixed reviews about finding a job. I have two years experience and will be starting grad school @ OSU this fall part time but am actively looking for a full time position.
I would be fine with subbing for a year if that is what it takes to get my foot in the door (which is the case here typically) if I could work 5 days a week.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2011, 06:56 PM

133 posts, read 567,987 times
Hello-

I can only describe the teacher market here with one word: BAD. Districts are laying off teachers left and right due to budget cuts. And now with SB5 passing, we don't know what will happen. I have friends with experience and a Master's degree who can't find jobs. I know people that worked one year and lost their job. My husband employs teachers who got laid off or can't find work....it goes on and on and it's really sad! I'm actually in grad school working on my teaching certification, and when I met with my academic advisor last summer, she looked me right in the eye and told me if I planned on staying in Ohio that I'm wasting my time and money. But I have always dreamed of becoming a teacher, soooo...I'm going to finish school and then my husband and I will move wherever I can find a job. All we can do is pray that things get better.

But you can visit each district's website and see what openings are available. Typically, they post new jobs over the summer going into the new school year. And yes, subbing would be a great idea to get your foot in the door. If my school schedule wasn't so hectic I'd try it!

Best of luck, and welcome!

Old 03-31-2011, 11:17 AM

1 posts, read 1,498 times
Hi Alicia,

Columbus is a nice place to live. People living in North, North-West and North East are especially good for teachers. School districts related to Dublin, Polaris and Gahanna are nice and kids are hard working. I have been living in Columbus for the past 5 years and never faced any problem. Although, I am single and don't have any kid, lot of my friends do have and even though it becomes cold here in winters, they don't want to relocate from Columbus just because of school education here.

Hope this will help you in making up your mind.

Thanks,
Nick
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>