Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2011, 05:25 PM

5,976 posts, read 13,112,439 times

Advertisements

On another thread in the general forum or city vs. city, a poster posted a list of which metro areas gained the most legal immigrants in the last ten years for every cultural region of the world.

And it is cool that an Ohio city made one of the top 15 for one of the categories.

Columbus came in 13th for total Sub-Saharan African immigrants.

What is about Columbus that attracted such a large number? I'm sure Ohio state has something to do with it. Any other ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2011, 05:54 PM

33 posts, read 93,570 times
I think the "American Dream" of living in cheap suburban areas on the north or far eastside is what attracts them. Plus the abbundance of low paying ($10-12) jobs you can find all over the city at major corporations like The Limited. That's what attacks blacks and Africans alike to the city. Theirs Alot more diversity in Columbus then the experts on city-data would lead you to believe.

Old 05-07-2011, 06:47 AM

125 posts, read 262,670 times
For whatever reason, Columbus became a popular destination for Somali refugees once the civil war broke out in '91 and the reputation spread. Refugees continue to migrate to the city, as Columbus has the 2nd largest Somali population in the nation.

Old 05-08-2011, 05:37 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,559,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blowingdown View Post
For whatever reason, Columbus became a popular destination for Somali refugees once the civil war broke out in '91 and the reputation spread. Refugees continue to migrate to the city, as Columbus has the 2nd largest Somali population in the nation.
Immigration trends like this have always fascinated me. Columbus, Minneapolis and Lewiston-Auburn, Maine have become the three most significant destinations for Somali refugees. It seems random, but it likely has to do with someone's family moving to a particular place first, and then others follow.

Old 05-09-2011, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
Immigration trends like this have always fascinated me. Columbus, Minneapolis and Lewiston-Auburn, Maine have become the three most significant destinations for Somali refugees. It seems random, but it likely has to do with someone's family moving to a particular place first, and then others follow.
Wow, Lewiston-Auburn I would never have thought. I mean Minneapolis and Columbus, are at least large cities with good economies, but Lewiston-Auburn does seem kind of random.

Old 05-09-2011, 11:04 AM

8,632 posts, read 12,990,645 times
What does Columbus,OH rank among the total continent of African immigrants? The Sub-Saharan region doesn't cover the whole continent, which can be misleading.

Old 05-09-2011, 11:29 AM

249 posts, read 609,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
What does Columbus,OH rank among the total continent of African immigrants? The Sub-Saharan region doesn't cover the whole continent, which can be misleading.

Sub-Sahara is a majority of the continent of Africa, so whats your point?

Old 05-09-2011, 01:06 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,990,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooks50 View Post
Sub-Sahara is a majority of the continent of Africa, so whats your point?
Its not the whole continent represented, thats my point! I personally think they put to much emphasis on the term Sub-Saharan when referencing Africa but thats a entirely different topic on to itself and I will probably have to stop here because this topic may be to deep for this specific type of thread.

Old 05-09-2011, 01:12 PM

93,188 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Wow, Lewiston-Auburn I would never have thought. I mean Minneapolis and Columbus, are at least large cities with good economies, but Lewiston-Auburn does seem kind of random.
A lot of the Maine refugees came by way of Atlanta.

Old 05-10-2011, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
1. Sub-Saharan Africa is most of Africa

2. And more importantly, they are COMPLETELY totally two different cultural regions. North Africa is in every way an extension of the middle east. Moroccro through Egypt is ethnically and culturally Arab, as well as Berber.

Sub-Saharan Africa is what we think of Africa. Physiologically "black" with all related languages and certain cultural features that many of them have in common.

The Sahara was such a significant barrier throughout history that it limited exchange except along very narrow routes like along the Nile.

Its like you wouldn't call a ethnic Russian an Asian person, because they live in the Asian Siberia portion of Russia. Likewise Mexico is has just about everything in common more with Colombia than Canada, even though they are technically on separate continents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus