Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2011, 12:49 PM

8 posts, read 9,958 times

Advertisements

Hi there! My husband has just been notified that we will be moving to Ohio. We can go anywhere in the state as he will be mostly working from home. I have no idea where to start, but Columbus seems like the best fit from what I've managed to google.

We have 4 small children and would likely want to continue sending them to Catholic school.

We're active and like lots of things to do (zoos, amusement parks, parks, swimming etc.)

At the same time, I like a little space and wouldn't mind a wooded back yard. I don't like my neighbors knowing all my comings and goings, which is something I hate about florida.

I'm looking for family friendly, with an active church community.

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 07:14 AM

2,107 posts, read 5,089,364 times
Not knowing your budget, but looking at the other places you mentioned in the other thread, I'd consider Hillard, Dublin, Delaware, Lewis Center (b/w Delaware and Polaris complex), and add Gahanna over Reynoldsburg to your list. For being close to the zoo and waterpark, I'd look more around the North and West sides of town. Not saying their are not activities east or south of Cbus, just that the world-renowned zoo and its waterpark are on the Northwest side of town.

Another option, since you are looking at catholic schools, would be inner-suburban neighborhoods. Those include Clintoville (which is actually part of Columbus), Upper Arlington, and Worthington. These areas are more mature, so trees are more prevalent. Most of the outer suburbs, unless it's a higher end neighborhood, strip the trees (if there were any to begin with), and build on flat open farmland.

It's kind of hard to recommend areas without a budget target since there are many areas of Columbus across numerous price points.

Old 06-02-2011, 03:37 PM

7 posts, read 15,435 times
Check areas with Columbus taxes, which will be less than surrounding areas. Since schools aren't an issue (most Catholic schools are fine).

Old 06-02-2011, 03:54 PM

111 posts, read 346,672 times
I don't know much about the Catholic schools in Columbus but St. Catherine's is near us in Eastmoor and is very popular for both school aged children and preschoolers. Some areas of Eastmoor have very deep lots with wooded yards while others are smaller lots. If you want a bigger property where you will have little unintentional interaction with your neighbors you will most likely need to look at homes outside the beltway (270) unless you have over 500K to spend on your home purchase.

Old 06-03-2011, 06:57 AM

8 posts, read 9,958 times
our rental budget is in and around $2000. thank you.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:24 AM

2,107 posts, read 5,089,364 times
Not as familiar with the rental rates in Columbus, but $2000 can go in a decent direction. Of course, the nicer suburbs with better schools warrent higher rents, but that doesn't mean there is nothing out there. Personally, since you are renting and sending your children to private schools, I'd consider Clintonville/Beechwold. Both are nice areas inside Columbus city limits. Beechwold is actually a historic area, so homes here are older. It would get you more house for your money since Cbus schools aren't as good (usually) as the suburban districts. Again, with Catholic schools, you should be fine.

If you want newer homes, I'd check up towards north of Columbus around Powell, Lewis Center, and Delaware. Not sure if you will find a fully private wooded lot, but it may be possible. Also, though further from Columbus' activities (Easton, Short North, Zoo, etc), Lancaster and some of its surrounding areas are far more wooded and rolling in topography than other parts of Columbus. The rent might go further too, since you are further from some things (which can be a downside). Still, you are closer to the trails and activities in SE Ohio and Hocking Hills State Park. Lancaster is about 30 min southeast of Columbus' downtown, maybe longer during rush hour.

Also, don't miss COSI (Center of Science and Industry)! It is a great hands-on museum that is well-known nationally. It reminds me of the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago, though a little smaller. Still, it's worth a see, especially with young children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus