U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2011, 06:19 PM

30 posts, read 144,456 times

Advertisements

Well, I posted a thread a while back about potentially moving to Columbus from Denver, and my husband now has an official job offer. We are taking a road trip there the first 2 weeks of July to look at neighborhoods and make the final decision.

I have read a lot of the message boards and would like to check out everything we can while there. It sounds like Dublin, Westerville, Worthington, Upper Arlington, New Albany, and Bexley would all interest us. However, we're also interested in living maybe a little farther out from the city (sort of country-setting), but not sure where to look. I'd love to hear from you all which of the above areas might be closest to matching what we're looking for, or if there's anywhere else we should add to our list.

I realize it is probably impossible to find a place that has all of the following, but ideally, this is what we would love to have (in a perfect world): great schools, easy access to natural foods/vitamins stores (my kids and I all have a dairy allergy and need to be able to find nondairy foods), lots of bike paths and parks, community activities and rec centers, YET housing options that are not in the typical cookie-cutter/tiny yard/HOA developments (is that even possible?). I would love to have a yard big enough for my own garden, and lots of trees (if I am giving up the Rocky Mountains, I MUST have trees, especially to hide all that flatness), but I definitely like the convenience of being close to everything. It would also be a plus to be close to holistic health practioners and a healthy-minded, active community.

Tall order, I know. Any suggestions?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2011, 06:40 PM

33 posts, read 82,521 times
You may have already of done this but can you provide a rough price range for your new house?

Also an area I love is the area around this intersection in Dublin, OH: Mitchell-Dewitt and Hyland-Croy. See the google map link below. I like it because for 1 it's in Dublin. Probably the best planned city that I've seen. Has everything you're asking for. Also that area is bordering country Northwest and also is bordered by the Glacier Ridge metro Park. The high school, Jerome, is ranked as one of the best in the nation and that's where your kids would go to school if you moved there. There are bike paths, parks, farms, nearby rec center, Sports Ohio where a ton of sport leagues exist, Chiller indoor hockey and skating. The Dublin Mall is about 5 minutes a way via highway. A new hospital is a couple miles away.

I would of moved there but when I moved back to Ohio from Florida none of the homes matched what we needed at that time. We ended up in Powell which we love as well and you should also at least consider if Dublin doesn't work out.

I would say if you're an inner/near city person then Bexley/Grandview/Upper Arlington would be good bets. If your more of a suburb person then the band outside of 270 from Dublin to New Albany is a good bet.

AB

dublin, oh - Google Maps

Old 06-19-2011, 08:19 PM

555 posts, read 1,507,733 times
Also, where will your husband be working at? I don't want to recommend Westerville if he's working in Grove City.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:12 PM

Thanks for the replies. Everything is still up in the air right now - the job offer he has is in Dublin, which is where he grew up (but he has not decided if he will take it yet - he's talking to a few other companies still). He has good friends in Powell and Gahanna still, which is where we'll probably be staying in July. I have only seen a small part of Powell, where his friends live, and though it was nice it seemed kind of barren (no trees in the neighborhood), and it was def. the HOA, houses close-together type of neighborhood. I'd be willing to check it out more, though.

If this all works out, it will probably be very fast, as we will try to move before our 6-year-old starts 1st grade in the fall. Therefore, we will be renting first so that we can take our time house-hunting in Columbus...but I am guessing our budget will be somewhere in the $200,000-250,000 range.

As a side-note, we currently live in Highlands Ranch, CO - which is the ULTIMATE planned community (seriously, there have been national articles written about it). While we love it and it is very nice, we def. would be interested in a little more land and a little less HOA. A cute little downtown area instead of miles and miles of houses and shopping plazas would also be AWESOME. Not a necessity, but def. a nice bonus!

Old 06-19-2011, 09:30 PM

33 posts, read 82,521 times
Ok but your request for the following:

"lots of bike paths and parks, community activities and rec centers"

Is a little counter to non-HOA suburbia. You understand that right?

AB

Old 06-19-2011, 10:53 PM

Yup, I know that. That's why I asked if it was even possible. I know I can't have everything; I was just throwing out our dreamlist of qualities. However, I have on occasion seen towns with a little of both (types of housing). Anything like that around Columbus?

Old 06-20-2011, 06:23 AM

555 posts, read 1,507,733 times
Have you looked at the Clintonville-Beechwold area? It's a much older area, definitely non-HOA, but still very nice and it has access to great schools, easy access to Dublin and Powell, and is close to a very long bike path. You also have the Whetstone Park nearby, which is a very nice city park, along with the Highbanks Metro Park a few miles north.

Old 06-20-2011, 06:23 AM

454 posts, read 773,139 times
Granville may be a place to look, though it's a bit far out. However, with 161 now fully completed, I'm not sure the drive in would be too bad. The schools in Granville are great, the houses are old and have character, and it's very pretty with a town that looks like it could be in New England. Denison University being right in the center of town also brings some vibrancy and culture.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:51 AM

146 posts, read 319,747 times
I would second looking at Granville if you are trying to find some options that are not Cookie Cutter if you want to stay away from an urban setting. Upper Arlington is inside the outer belt and has old houses and old trees with bigger lots, but the price of housing stock might not work out. When you are in Powell next, go to the "downtown". While it is surrounded by homogenized suburbia, the actual village isn't too bad. Have a bite to eat at Local Roots and grab some ice cream from Jeni's across the street.

Old 06-21-2011, 06:43 PM

133 posts, read 570,553 times
If he will be working in Dublin, I suggest looking at Plain City. It is right outside of Dublin so you'd still be close to all of the parks and other ammenities Dublin has to offer. Honestly, a budget of $200-$250k isn't going to go far in Dublin unless you live in the Sawmill Rd area. If he is willing to drive 15 minutes to work, Marysville might work for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus