U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2011, 10:02 PM

5 posts, read 12,962 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, new poster here!

Is Gahanna/New Albany a good location for single professionals in their early 30s looking for a quiet area with some decent places to socialize? I want to rent an apartment or condo for a year while a look for a house. When I do buy, it's going to be in an area that contains a good school district like Olentangy. I'll be moving from out of state, so I've been checking out various places in Westerville, Dubliin, Gahanna, and New Albany. I'm going to be working near where 71 meets 670.

Things I'm looking for:

-2 bedroom, with an enclosed garage. At least 1000 sq ft of living space
-Near a YMCA or some type of rec center that has basketball courts
-Quiet area with no break ins
-Some decent bars within close range (any in Easton?)

Surely there has to be some single professionals in the a 26-35 age range in the area around Gahanna/New Albany. Where do they go out to socialize in that area?

What I'm finding is that apartments that are in good communities that are at least 1000 sq ft (like Kenyon Square) cost anywhere between $800-$1150 per month. At that price, it just seems more sensible to rent a condo that has more sq footage for the same price and an attached garage. I've been looking closely at the ones they have for rent around the Preserve Crossing and the East Wallnut/West Campus Rd/New Albany Rd area and you can get 1500 sq feet for $1150. Why wouldn't this be a better rental agreement than an apartment?

That area seems ideal as it is close enough to the Gahanna, YMCA, Easton mall etc without having to deal with 71 south bound traffic.

I've heard that places like German Village, Upper Arlington, Dublin, Worthington, Victorian Village, Short North, Italian Village, Harrison West, Brewery District are the key spots for single professionals, but if I lived there I'd be going out every night and never be getting any work done LOL! I figure off in Gahanna/New Albany may be a better fit, enabling me to go out once and awhile to the Easton area and commute to those other areas from time to time.

So would the area I described be a good fit?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 01:56 PM

205 posts, read 622,294 times
New Albany and Gahanna are both awesome places to live. Both quiet with low crime and lots of apartments that would fit your criteria. As far as night life goes, they are both close to Easton (and the Short North is only 15 minutes away for that matter) but Gahanna itself has more bars and restaurants than New Albany. There is an apartment/condo complex just north of the 161 in New Albany that has its own bar (The Goat) within the community as well as a gym and volleyball courts (not sure about indoor basketball courts). There is a Gahanna YMCA that is just about at the Gahanna/New Albany border and both New Albany and Gahanna have other gyms (Urban Active Fitness in NA and Lifestyle Family Fitness in G).

Old 12-08-2011, 09:20 PM

162 posts, read 275,818 times
New Albany and Gahanna are both quiet, low crime places to live. Agree that the other places you mentioned would be more appealing to most single professionals.

Check out Lifetime Fitness at Easton.

Old 12-09-2011, 11:19 AM

16,158 posts, read 16,375,012 times
New Albany is probably not the most ideal for single professionals wanting to be near entertainment venues. I had a friend that moved there from San Francisco and I warned him that it wasn't really close to anything. Within a few months, he was already looking at places closer to Downtown, despite being literally 5 minutes from work. Easton is your best bet if you choose to live in New Albany, but you probably won't be going there as much as you think you will.

Old 12-14-2011, 04:00 PM

11 posts, read 17,820 times
New Albany is more for families and is quite "suburban". Gahanna would be better. If you want to socialize and meet people, I'd recommend being nearer Grandview Heights. There is a good stretch of bars, restaurants, and shops in the area with the crowd being in your age range. Ha but I guess, as you said, you don't want to socialize too much.

Just an idea, check it this spot:
Columbus Ohio Apartments - Home - Runaway Bay

Doesn't exactly fit your complete ideals but its secluded and quiet, yet near enough to some more exciting parts of town.

Old 12-15-2011, 03:52 PM

158 posts, read 243,109 times
If fits what you described. It is bland suburbia. And in my opinion a bar is a bar. Once you have seen you've seen them all.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:52 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,437,478 times
New Albany can be ideal for anyone, but it depends on what kind of single young professional you are.

There are many nice, new apartments very similar to new albany in the new hot zone for young singles, in Columbus, the short north/arena district/downtown/grandview area.

They are building something like 1000 apartments in that large corridor yearly and for a reason: many young singles are preferring to live in the nice, mostly safe, and urban neighborhoods where you can walk' take transit or cabs' and be near local, great restaurants and nightlife.

I would consider the above central city area (mostly from grandview on the west to the short north on the east to the arena district on the south) or some of the outer areas like New Albany, Easton, Polaris, Dublin, or NW columbus (sawmill/bethel/henderson) All of these are hot areas for singles and young professionals. My preference is the urban areas while my sister lives in New Albany but only for the closeness to her job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>