Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 09:38 PM

4 posts, read 34,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Yes it does. I think by the time I get back from Mexico (leaving for there in January), it will be a much different place. Now if we can get some decent mass transit, even better.
I agree 100% on the mass transit! My family and I moved back here from Portland, OR and this city is way too big to not any form of light rail system even in the planning stages. How do we get the ball rolling again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 09:42 PM

4 posts, read 34,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Bus Rapid Transit coming to Columbus? Looks like it.

COTA studying speedy bus route | The Columbus Dispatch
This is a start...how about light rail throughout the city next?!?

Old 02-13-2012, 10:08 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,051,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucks96 View Post
I agree 100% on the mass transit! My family and I moved back here from Portland, OR and this city is way too big to not any form of light rail system even in the planning stages. How do we get the ball rolling again?
The city is now studying BRT routes, starting with one up Cleveland Avenue, but even if they started construction now, it wouldn't be ready for a year or so. Maybe Mayor Coleman will bring back the idea of rail in the State of the City address at the end of the month. This is probably going to be his last term, so he may want to end with a bang.

Old 02-14-2012, 10:03 AM

61 posts, read 376,880 times
Question Columbus City and Suburban Development News

Hello,

Overall, Columbus residents / natives, are you all pleased and/or excited about the changes occurring - the new developments being built?

Old 02-19-2012, 10:30 AM

Five-story apartment building proposed for N. High St. in Weinland Park | The Columbus Dispatch

A bit of an update on the Weinland Park development of High Street. I can't believe the University Area Commision is so anti-density, but luckily they have no final say and they've basically been overruled by the City.

Old 02-19-2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericka178 View Post
Hello,

Overall, Columbus residents / natives, are you all pleased and/or excited about the changes occurring - the new developments being built?
I'm not living there now, but I am a native. Columbus has changed significantly in my lifetime, but most of the major changes have occurred in the last 10 years or so, and the rate of development seems to be accelerating. It's definitely nice to see the city moving past the negative "cowtown" stereotype. There's still a LOT more that needs to move forward, such as public transit expansion, but I don't think it's that far away.

Old 02-19-2012, 11:12 AM

Cabela?s® Announces Plans for New Stores - pymnts.com

It will be the first one in Ohio. Never heard of it, honestly, but it sounds very interesting.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:56 AM

Neighborhood Launch to Build 260 New Downtown Apartment Units

Neighborhood Launch has been an ongoing development along and near Gay Street in Downtown for the past few years. The next phase of development will be a pair of 5-story buildings with 260 rental units and 164 underground parking spaces. A third 5-story condo building is also in the works. This project adds to the already hundreds of other residential units under construction or in the works in the immediate Downtown area, which doesn't include the 300-400 that will be built in the Arena District.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:58 AM

Voodoo Denim Lounge has Closed « Columbus Underground Messageboard

The denim store on High Street in the heart of the Short North has recently closed, but already a new lease has been signed for a new restaurant that will include an outdoor patio and locally produced food and beer.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:05 AM

http://columbus.gov/uploadedFiles/De...%20FEB.agd.pdf

The Italian Village Commission met recently to discuss several projects in the area.

1. The Fireproof Building renovation project has gotten bigger. Besides the renovation of the building, originally there were plans for a small, one-story building in the lot just to the south. Now it will be 5-stories and take up the entire lot.

2. A master plan has been submitted for the Jeffrey site just to the east of 4th. This former industrial site had once been planned with several residential buildings, but the recession put a halt to that and the site's been mostly empty for the past several years. A new developer has acquired the site and plans are well under way for redevelopment. Given how large the site is, this will be a very significant project with possibly several hundred residential units.

3. Approvals were under discussion for the former Ibiza site on Hubbard. This will be a 5-story retail and residential building along High with a 4-story garage behind it with 4 concealing townhomes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus