U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 08:59 PM

79 posts, read 213,029 times

Advertisements

What are the demographics in Reynoldsburg?

what i mean is, why are these amazing houses so cheap?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2007, 10:14 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,436,395 times
I am not the most familiar with Reynoldsburg, I have lived in columbus for 20 years, but it is an area of the city that I have not explored until the last year. Having explored reynoldsburg, lately, I have to say that the western section is cheap because it mostly just middle class citizens.

A lot of columbus' burbs and sections of columbus, have much more "high end" housing. A lot of the housing in Reynoldsburg was meant to be affordable to the middle class when it was built and it has stayed that way.

There isn't a large amount of "high end" housing bringing up the other property values in Reynoldsburg like you see in Dublin, Worthington. Therefore, a very smiliar house in Worthington (70s suburban) could cost a 1/3 less in Reynoldsburg.

The same is true with neighborhoods in Columbus like Beechwold and Clintonville and Victorian Village. Huge homes in these neighborhoods, almost mansions in some cases, bring up the property values of even the smaller buildings in the neighborhood. The high end house in Reynoldsburg would most likely be located in the newer sections (further east of 270) and are limited.

Reynoldsburg is simply just not "high end" On the east side Pickerington seems to be a little more high end middle class as well as parts of Gahanna.

Reynoldsburg is not a bad place. However, it is hardly a place I would want to live. I tend to enjoy the more educated, liberal, areas with a stronger mix of upper income levels. I do not have to live somewhere with all upper incomes, I actually deteste the homogenous appeal of that, but I do like to be in a neighborhood or suburb that has a stronger mix of lower, upper classes and white collar with only a tad of blue collar. Reynoldsburg most surely has a strong taste of blue collar in most places. Great for some, but not for others.

Old 03-17-2008, 12:59 PM

4 posts, read 19,574 times
Default Reynoldsburg - Looking for Detail information

Can anyone provide some detail information about Reynoldsburg? I have accepted a job in Zanesville, Ohio. Thinking about living in Reynoldsburg, but getting a mixed information. Can anybody give me some solid info? Is it better to live in Reynoldsburg or Newark? Also let me know how good the schools are and whether they have good resources for special needs kids.

Old 03-17-2008, 09:02 PM

127 posts, read 902,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duskin_powerweb View Post
Can anyone provide some detail information about Reynoldsburg? I have accepted a job in Zanesville, Ohio. Thinking about living in Reynoldsburg, but getting a mixed information. Can anybody give me some solid info? Is it better to live in Reynoldsburg or Newark? Also let me know how good the schools are and whether they have good resources for special needs kids.
Just drove through Reynoldsburg the other day. Looked around there a little bit recently as i've trying to get a little bit of a grasp on the area as well. From what I can gather it is a fairly middle class area maybe leaning towards the working class more so than some of the other suburbs of Columbus. With that said it is by no means a bad area and you can pick up a nice home MUCH cheaper than some of the other places. It seemed like as long as you stay north of 70 and outside of 270 that the neighbourhoods were nice. Traffic was pretty bad on Main Street and Broad Street during the rush hours, but the commute going to Zanesville would never be too bad heading away from Columbus.

I don't know much about Newark only been through there a couple of times. It seems a bit more country than Reynoldsburg which is more suburban. Newark would also be less diverse but i'm sure there would be good quality housing for a good price. There is plenty to do nearby; Granville is a beautiful college town and Amish country is less than an hour away. Once 161 becomes interstate all the way to Newark it will become more connected to Columbus as well...more of an exurb than what it is now.

It really depends if you are looking for suburban living or more country-esque living. Have you considered Zanesville itself? Some of the outer areas are quite nice, although I would give most of the town a miss. North Zanesville is nice though and there are some nicer places west of town. You could also check out Pataskala, which is an up and coming area between Newark and Reynoldsburg.

Hope this helps...Good Luck!

Old 03-18-2008, 07:28 AM

13,984 posts, read 25,589,983 times
It really is more of a lifestyle question. Newark and Reynoldsburg are both areas that are reasonably safe middle/working class communities. Newark is separated from the metro Columbus area, and really provides a smaller town lifestyle. Reynoldsburg is very integrated into metro Columbus, and really is more of an area of a much larger city.

Old 03-18-2008, 07:54 AM

Default Thank you so much

Sdmlions and NewToCa,

Thank you very much to both of you. The job I am going to is a rotational job where I am working in Zanesville for 2 yeras and then need to move somewhere else. So, I am looking for a townhome or Condo to rent. Also, my son is a special need kid so looking for a good school district too. I am from a medium size town of Michigan where there is an University and couple of colleges. So it is a blend of city and quite country environment plus diversity. I am looking for something like that; I have been to Zanesville for the interview so not considering that. Some of the people here also mentioned about Pickerington. Any Ideas? We are planning to come down to Columbus to look at the suburb areas. So, any information will be greatly appreciated. Thank you again.

Old 03-18-2008, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duskin_powerweb View Post
Sdmlions and NewToCa,

Thank you very much to both of you. The job I am going to is a rotational job where I am working in Zanesville for 2 yeras and then need to move somewhere else. So, I am looking for a townhome or Condo to rent. Also, my son is a special need kid so looking for a good school district too. I am from a medium size town of Michigan where there is an University and couple of colleges. So it is a blend of city and quite country environment plus diversity. I am looking for something like that; I have been to Zanesville for the interview so not considering that. Some of the people here also mentioned about Pickerington. Any Ideas? We are planning to come down to Columbus to look at the suburb areas. So, any information will be greatly appreciated. Thank you again.
Special Needs kids always changes things, potentially quite a bit. If the child is severely limited then I would look to be a bit inconvenienced and rent up in the Worthington or Dublin School Districts (this will give you a long drive, but the trade off is worth it to me). If the child has milder limitations, than other school districts should be OK to deal with.

Old 03-18-2008, 09:22 AM

Default Thanks

Thank you again.

Old 03-19-2008, 12:24 PM

23 posts, read 109,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schwinghammer View Post
What are the demographics in Reynoldsburg?

what i mean is, why are these amazing houses so cheap?
As mentioned previously, the demographic mix of folks tends to trend more towards "working class" than "white collar" in Reynoldsburg versus the other Columbus suburbs. What hasn't been mentioned is that the property taxes in Reynoldsburg are also significantly lower than the other suburbs as well.

So, if you don't have kids, it's probably a great deal. You get the benefit of living closer to the city than some place like Newark or Zanesville, and you don't have the higher property taxes as the other, closer-in suburbs.

If I had a family and had to move to the east side of Columbus for whatever reason, I'd probably choose Pickerington. I spent a few years in Groveport's schools as a kid; I hate to say it, but I probably wouldn't move there.

Reynoldsburg would be somewhere in between Pickerington and Groveport, IMO. I'm not exactly sure where, though.

Old 03-19-2008, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExCMHer View Post
As mentioned previously, the demographic mix of folks tends to trend more towards "working class" than "white collar" in Reynoldsburg versus the other Columbus suburbs. What hasn't been mentioned is that the property taxes in Reynoldsburg are also significantly lower than the other suburbs as well.

So, if you don't have kids, it's probably a great deal. You get the benefit of living closer to the city than some place like Newark or Zanesville, and you don't have the higher property taxes as the other, closer-in suburbs.

If I had a family and had to move to the east side of Columbus for whatever reason, I'd probably choose Pickerington. I spent a few years in Groveport's schools as a kid; I hate to say it, but I probably wouldn't move there.

Reynoldsburg would be somewhere in between Pickerington and Groveport, IMO. I'm not exactly sure where, though.

Need to be a little bit careful here, Ohio taxes are a mess. I believe that Reynoldsburg is one of the towns that has a separate schools income tax that many other jurisdictions do not levy, collecting their school taxes in the property tax rate instead of a supplemental income tax.

See Pg 10 of the attached document for those school districts with supplemental income taxes, Reynoldsburg is listed with a 1/2% income tax rate, and Pickerington at 1%:

http://tax.ohio.gov/documents/forms/..._SD100Bklt.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>