Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 08:45 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,535,581 times

Advertisements

Anyone ever try and draw a correlation between the attitudes, attire, and the personalities of people in Wal-Mart/Target relative to the local residents it supplies? Despite people commuting from both poor and upscale areas to a given Wal-mart location, there is a correlation. While I'm not an avid Wal-Mart shopper, I've always found that going into a Wal-mart says a lot about the surrounding area and it's community, to a point. Believe it or not, I've ventured into some Wal-marts that are pretty upscale, and it was reflected in the community and I came to find out that for those Wal-marts, the area was pretty high in property value.

I've only been to the one on Morse Road, and the difference between the attitudes and conversations that you hear at that Wal-mart compared to a shopping location right down the road near Hamilton and Morse is night and day. You go east under the bridge on Morse and all of a sudden the parking lots that you shop in don't contain cars with trunk rattling music driving up and down the parking isles for the sole purpose of trying to attract attention. Amazing.

So with that said, I'd like to know how you would rate the following in terms of how safe you feel at the following locations on a scale of 1-5. Also which Wal-Mart of the 6 is in the nicest part of Cbus? Am I missing any?

3900 Morse Road
Columbus
(614) 476-2515

3579 South High Street
Columbus
(614) 409-0695

3657 East Main Street
Columbus
(614) 239-7804

2700 Bethel Road
Columbus
(614) 326-0083

5200 Westpointe Plaza Dr
Columbus
(614) 876-7850

3579 South High Street
Columbus
(614) 409-0683
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 09:39 PM

797 posts, read 2,337,873 times
The one on Morse Rd has for quite some time been one of the worst, if not the worst, location in the Columbus metro. Like you said, it's more about the people that live in the area really than Walmart itself. The south High St store has also been a crappy location for a while. The one on Westpointe Plaza is okay and the one on Bethel is about as nice as any Walmart you'll go into although it was laid out a little differently the last time I was in there. There are other Walmarts in the metro that are nice, though some are suburban rather than Columbus.

Old 03-07-2012, 10:46 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,055,917 times
Let's face it, there's a good reason that there's a site called "People of Wal-Mart" and it's not because the general shopper there is high-brow. People go there for cheap goods, not because it's a social event.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:11 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,426,634 times
http://edge.ebaumsworld.com/mediaFiles/picture/814686/80698739.jpg (broken link)

Old 03-07-2012, 11:19 PM

1,412 posts, read 4,484,387 times
Epic. Whenever I go to a new city, I always check out the local Wal-Mart. Good way to know what type of people the town is made up of.

Old 03-08-2012, 11:31 AM

37 posts, read 102,918 times
You don't have the Lewis Center Walmart off of polaris parkway listed. It's a pretty good one.

Also, the Tuttle Location is probably the nicest.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:43 PM

797 posts, read 2,337,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmodder View Post
And would I be correct if I said that the average person would feel safer in both of those parking lots at midnight in comparison to the one on Morse Rd?
Yes, you absolutely would. You'll have the occasional pair of idiots driving around the parking lot trying to sell some tv or stereo that is likely stolen from somewhere and a few sketchy characters, but I never felt threatened in the least late at night at the Lewis Center Walmart. It does attract it's share of creeps though, like people forcing their toddlers and preteens to steal because they know Walmart won't prosecute minors.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:07 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,083,741 times
I liked the Bethel Rd Super Center best when I was in Columbus. Easiest to get to and in a decent area. Tuttle followed it, though not sure if that is Columbus city limits, Dublin, or Hillard. It gets blurry up there.

As much as I hate Wal-Mart corporate culture, it does provide cheap goods in a standard layout, though yes, the Bethel one has a different floor plan. For someone on a budget, it sure helps.

Where I am now, the Super Center in Xenia is actually nicer than the regular Wal-Mart in my town (which has a much higher average income). Part is my hometown Wal-Mart is a regular Wal-Mart that has not seen an upgrade since it opened in '93 and the Xenia one is 5 years old. Point is, there is a number of factors affecting safety and sense of feel for a particular Wal-Mart, though demographics are a big one.

Old 03-09-2012, 06:54 AM

37 posts, read 102,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightflyer View Post
Tuttle followed it, though not sure if that is Columbus city limits, Dublin, or Hillard. It gets blurry up there.
It's literally in one of the smallest slivers of Columbus city limits, nestled between Franklin County unincorporated space to the west, Hilliard to the south, and Dublin to the north. It's space takes up just enough for the mall, strip mall, and a few side streets.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:36 AM

29 posts, read 66,297 times
Tuttle and Bethel Rd locations are the best, IMO.

Grove city used to be decent. It's going down now.

Georgesville Rd - OMG. don't go there. It's pretty close to where I live, but I'll drive to Tuttle or Grove city before going there. SCARY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus