U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2007, 11:37 AM

4 posts, read 15,366 times

Advertisements

Hello all. I have been doing hours of searching and this seems like a good place to have some questions answered. Here is my situation....

Well I am a 23 year old student at Ohio State and I have 2 more quarters before I graduate. The last 3 years I have lived around the Summit/East 17th, 16th and 15th area of campus. I lived with 4 other roommates and the house we stayed at was dirty but that was primarily because we always had parties in it. I didn't have a huge problem with it because I knew exactly what it was. It was a cheap house that we didn't take care of. I am used to seeing the bums, parties, a fight every now and then on the street, etc.

Well now we all moved out of that house and I am looking to move on with my life. I would like to go from that party house type of setting to a much more quiet, apartment setting. I am getting a little older so I am trying to move away from all the noise, crime, etc of North Campus living. Here is what I am looking for....

-1 bedroom apartment
-Quiet and safe area
-Mature residents
-Very little crime
-Close to some shopping
-A place that is possibly near a dog-park

The most important thing though is for it to be in a decent area with not as much traffic. I am even willing to go up to 15 miles away from campus (I only have classes 2x a week) if that fits my wants the best. I know that people mentioned the Grandview area but I looked at that area and it seemed a little too congested....or maybe I didn't look in the right area. As for price-range, I am only a student but I suppose I can afford something up to $600/month as long as the place is nice. I would like a short-term lease if possible.

I am not familiar with many areas outside of the general campus location. I know that I like the Polaris area. Are there any apartment complexes around there that aren't too expensive? What other places do you recommend I explore and do you know if any good websites to look at? Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated as I am really stuck and confused.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2007, 08:35 PM

13,997 posts, read 25,841,071 times
Have you considered the area south of campus, around Neil and Buttles Ave? There are a lot of apartments in that area, all the way north to King Ave.

Goodale Park is in that area, and is very popular with dog owners.

Old 09-10-2007, 09:37 PM

Is that area fairly safe? I don't need a place that is 100% clean and spotless but I want to avoid some of these run-down areas that have drug dealers living in the apartment. I am in Cleveland right now so I don't have the luxury of just driving there to check it out. I will be driving down on Wed though so I am going to try and have all my ducks in a row.

Old 09-10-2007, 11:06 PM

Yes, my kid lived there for a couple of years and loved it, and he clubs at night on the weekends. He walks practically everywhere.

Take a look in the evening, the area is the Goodale Park, and Victorian Village area.

Old 09-11-2007, 01:49 AM

If anyone is familiar with this area, fill me in on why this place is so cheap. It looks decent on the inside and it is only $400 a month ($500 for me since I will do short-term) and that includes all utilities except electricity. What is the area like? Is it horrible or is it respectable?

Welcome to Victorian Village Apartments

Old 09-11-2007, 09:13 AM

Ooops, I don't think those apartments above are in the area I am looking for.

Have any of you guys ever heard of Harvard Square Apartments? I am going to be visiting them on Thursday. It is located at 4438 Mobile Dr. That is near the Kenny Road/W. Henderson area.

Old 09-11-2007, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio83 View Post
Ooops, I don't think those apartments above are in the area I am looking for.

Have any of you guys ever heard of Harvard Square Apartments? I am going to be visiting them on Thursday. It is located at 4438 Mobile Dr. That is near the Kenny Road/W. Henderson area.
I'm familiar with the Henderson Rd area, and it is pretty well regarded. There are a slew of apartments in the Henderson/Bethel/Kenny/Sawmill vicinity. Overall, I would have no problem living there.

Old 10-04-2007, 02:04 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,468,687 times
The area called Victorian Village (located SOUTH OF OSU's CAMPUS)
is VERY safe for an urban area. It is located just right near downtown and nice. However, there are less rentals there around the park and near Neil Ave as there use to be because some have been converted back to single family houses/homes or into condos. However, there are still some rentals, and there are some apartment complex's.

If you live in Victorian Village close to Goodale Park or Neil Ave, you can walk to get groceries, go to bars, shops, CVS, or even to downtown, also taking a bus to OSU is very easy, or you can bike. The Victorian VIllage area is mostly home ownership, and older mature adults, so you can get away from the "University District" life.

If you are looking for something not as close to downtown or OSU, maybe more "car oriented" or suburban in nature, then the Sawmill/Kenny/Henerson/Bethel area, known as "northwest Columbus" is great, very nice, just up 315 from OSU (maybe 10minutes at the very very most) and has a lot of apartments in a safe area. Some car breakins do happen very rarely. Only once in awhile, but its hard to find any high rental area of Columbus where car breakins do not happen. Even suburbs like Hilliard, Dublin, Westerville have breakin problems with cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus