Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 08:15 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,938,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
I never said it was not diverse. I said it's not as diverse as other places. I also said it was majority white and has a small Asian population. All of which is true.
What is diversity? Diversity in 2013 is now asian, indian, black or hispanic. There isn't anymore white ''etchnicity'' distinction among the ''diverse'' populations; they think some who is Irish, German or Italian-American etc. is just plain vanilla-white. Having a large Italian community, for example, is no longer being diverse. So annoying...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2013, 08:25 PM

I was in Columbus this past year and wasn't blown away by its ''diversity'' or for that matter even noticed it. Why is everyone is so hung-up about ''diversity''? I mean if someone is white, could that person say ''I don't want to live in a ''diverse'' city or if its too ''diverse'' I don't want to move there?; he or she would be tarred and feathered, career over, go home. But it's OK for someone who is ''diverse'' (aka is it too white in this or that city?) to say they want to be in a place where their own kind is. I knew an African American woman that moved to Salt Lake City a while back; she of course complained that there were no black people there. Uh, what were you thinking before you moved there Einstein?

Last edited by Kamms; 12-16-2013 at 09:27 PM..

Old 12-16-2013, 08:58 PM

14,668 posts, read 14,629,286 times
Most people mistake "diversity" for skin color. Diversity includes a variety of cultures and "points of view". A hillbilly living next to an Ethiopian living next to a punk rocker living next to a programmer from India is diversity. An Asian American, white American, black American, and Mexican American who all grew up in the same neighborhood and graduated from the same university is not diversity.

Old 12-16-2013, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Most people mistake "diversity" for skin color. Diversity includes a variety of cultures and "points of view". A hillbilly living next to an Ethiopian living next to a punk rocker living next to a programmer from India is diversity. An Asian American, white American, black American, and Mexican American who all grew up in the same neighborhood and graduated from the same university is not diversity.
True; ''diversity'' is code for ''are there blacks, asians, hispanics or indians?'' because these groups are looking to associate with their ''own''. I can't see an Indian wanting to live next door to a hillbilly. What about the Arabs? In Cleveland, hillbillies were considered among that city's ''ethnic'' groups. I just noticed no one mentions Jews as being ''diverse'' either.

I can't stand these suburban bred people talking about ''diversity''....

Old 12-17-2013, 12:17 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,046,776 times
The other question about diversity is if ethnic groups that exist are still actually ethnic. For a city like Pittsburgh or Portland, well known to be very white overall, do the ethnic origins within its white population still show up? Meaning, do they still influence local culture at all or are they largely Americanized? Cleveland had a history of large European immigrant groups living there and influencing its culture, and some of those influences remain in the form of food options and neighborhood names, mostly. But are we really talking about 1st or 2nd generation immigrants still? So while I certainly agree that diversity goes well beyond skin color, the role that ethnic culture plays also matters. If all or most of a city's immigrants came 50 or more years ago, it's not going to matter as much as if they arrived within the last decade. There is going to be a big difference between a German who arrived to the US 5 years ago and an American whose family arrived from Germany in 1910.

Old 12-17-2013, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
The other question about diversity is if ethnic groups that exist are still actually ethnic. For a city like Pittsburgh or Portland, well known to be very white overall, do the ethnic origins within its white population still show up? Meaning, do they still influence local culture at all or are they largely Americanized? Cleveland had a history of large European immigrant groups living there and influencing its culture, and some of those influences remain in the form of food options and neighborhood names, mostly. But are we really talking about 1st or 2nd generation immigrants still? So while I certainly agree that diversity goes well beyond skin color, the role that ethnic culture plays also matters. If all or most of a city's immigrants came 50 or more years ago, it's not going to matter as much as if they arrived within the last decade. There is going to be a big difference between a German who arrived to the US 5 years ago and an American whose family arrived from Germany in 1910.
What about African-Americans whose ancestors came over on slave ships? They certainly are Americanized.

Old 12-17-2013, 03:36 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,046,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
What about African-Americans whose ancestors came over on slave ships? They certainly are Americanized.
Of course. But as people have said, there is more than one type of diversity. There's ethnic, racial, sexual, gender, educational, economic, etc. AAs would qualify at least as racial diversity. If a city is mostly AA, it's not that racially diverse, although it could be in other ways. Same with a city that's mostly white.

Old 12-17-2013, 04:41 PM

249 posts, read 609,249 times
THere are differences in blacks as well such as black Americans, Jamaicans, Dominicans, Haitians, puerto ricans etc. So not only racial but ethnically.

Old 12-17-2013, 04:43 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,430,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Well, the person from Germany coming to America today would have it much easier because Germany and the USA are comparatively very similar countries. Germans today are also much richer. But I don't know, I feel "diversity" is extremely overrated when it comes to race, or even class (though to a lesser extent). Diversity that matters is diversity of thought, ideas, opinions, etc.

Old 12-17-2013, 04:57 PM

61 posts, read 257,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I feel "diversity" is extremely overrated when it comes to race, or even class (though to a lesser extent). Diversity that matters is diversity of thought, ideas, opinions, etc.
I have to agree with the above post. I would like it if we as a country could embrace our diversity with out first looking at race.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus