Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 04:27 PM

332 posts, read 822,102 times

Advertisements

If you had to pick a place to buy a home and live in for 5 years what city would you pick and why?

Thanks!!!

Moving to Columbus in 3 months!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 07:52 AM

205 posts, read 653,876 times
They are both wonderful places to live you really can't go wrong with either one. Columbus commutes are not bad at all compared to other cities we have lived in but I would suggest you look at which one presents an easier commute. Past that, I think it comes down to finding the best neighborhood in either place that suits you best. Good luck!

Old 04-01-2012, 05:54 PM

26 posts, read 89,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielle_pal View Post
If you had to pick a place to buy a home and live in for 5 years what city would you pick and why?

Thanks!!!

Moving to Columbus in 3 months!!!
I wouldn't buy a home in either place. Actually, I did, and I regret it everyday. Keep looking!

Old 04-01-2012, 09:44 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,061,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer0101 View Post
I wouldn't buy a home in either place. Actually, I did, and I regret it everyday. Keep looking!
No doubt with your incredible sense of fashion trends, both suburbs are just soo last season.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:50 AM

490 posts, read 864,188 times
If you have children, I'd say New Albany. The school district is smaller (one high school versus three) and all of the schools are centralized on one campus. Personally, I like the georgian architecture in New Albany versus the various styles you'll see in Dublin. One area where Dublin beats out New Albany is in dining (the lack of decent restaurants in New Albany is striking).

Old 04-02-2012, 12:39 PM

26 posts, read 89,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
No doubt with your incredible sense of fashion trends, both suburbs are just soo last season.
Actually, It comes down to property value. Homes in these two towns decrease in value year after year. I lost a lot of money when I sold my NA home. Homes in Bexley keep going up!

Old 04-02-2012, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer0101 View Post
Actually, It comes down to property value. Homes in these two towns decrease in value year after year. I lost a lot of money when I sold my NA home. Homes in Bexley keep going up!
This is actually a far bigger indicator that the suburbs in general are not nearly in demand as they were just 5 years ago. Home values held up better in the central core neighborhoods than they did in the fringe. Also notice where most of the construction projects are now and what kind they are.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:05 AM

2,107 posts, read 5,084,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
This is actually a far bigger indicator that the suburbs in general are not nearly in demand as they were just 5 years ago. Home values held up better in the central core neighborhoods than they did in the fringe. Also notice where most of the construction projects are now and what kind they are.
Yay! Infill and redevelopment. It will be interesting to see if these young professionals and young families stay though. As they are priced out of some of these historic and older neighborhoods, will they continue to gentrify other areas? Also, will CPS improve enough to keep families in Columbus? Or are there enough private/alternative options to keep parents of young children happy?

All questions that I don't have answers to but would love to see play out in time.

Going back to the topic, I think Dublin will hold its value better than New Albany. It is closer to more jobs that are higher paying. Seems that Tuttle/Dublin/Hillard corridor is chocked full of IT firms (among other industries). New Albany really only has retail, which is slowly starting to turn around (with maybe the exception of A&F, which I think a majority of New Albany's employees work). New Albany will certainly turn around, but it may be longer than Dublin which is more established. Still, parts of Dublin are older (1970's and 80's) and not as high priced as Jerome HS area houses or Muirfield.

Best bet would be Olentangy Schools in Powell or Lewis Center. Bexley (though it is an island of sorts) and older sections of Upper Arlington or Grandview if you want older homes. Everything Dublin is 1970's or newer. New Albany 90's or newer.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:23 AM

205 posts, read 653,876 times
New Albany has been attracting a lot of non-retail business as of late: Aetna, Discover, State Farm, EMH&T, Pharmaforce, Nationwide, Commercial Vehicle Group, Motorist's Mutual, AEP, Bob Evans, Accel, Axium Plastics, KDC and Vee Pak to name a few. The Mount Carmel Medical is rapidly expanding as well. The nice side effect of this has been more restaurants popping up to accommodate a larger workforce in the area.

One thing I love about Columbus is their commitment to to infill and redevelopment. If the schools were better we would have looked seriously at moving to some of the wonderful historic neighborhoods.

Last edited by behindenemylines; 04-03-2012 at 06:40 AM..

Old 04-03-2012, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightflyer View Post
Yay! Infill and redevelopment. It will be interesting to see if these young professionals and young families stay though. As they are priced out of some of these historic and older neighborhoods, will they continue to gentrify other areas? Also, will CPS improve enough to keep families in Columbus? Or are there enough private/alternative options to keep parents of young children happy?

All questions that I don't have answers to but would love to see play out in time.

Going back to the topic, I think Dublin will hold its value better than New Albany. It is closer to more jobs that are higher paying. Seems that Tuttle/Dublin/Hillard corridor is chocked full of IT firms (among other industries). New Albany really only has retail, which is slowly starting to turn around (with maybe the exception of A&F, which I think a majority of New Albany's employees work). New Albany will certainly turn around, but it may be longer than Dublin which is more established. Still, parts of Dublin are older (1970's and 80's) and not as high priced as Jerome HS area houses or Muirfield.

Best bet would be Olentangy Schools in Powell or Lewis Center. Bexley (though it is an island of sorts) and older sections of Upper Arlington or Grandview if you want older homes. Everything Dublin is 1970's or newer. New Albany 90's or newer.
One of the big reasons that urban school systems decline is because property taxes, a big education funder, declines as people move away or are replaced with lower income residents. Schools that continously see money decline are eventually going to suffer in terms of quality. That's why growing suburbs tend to have the best schools in a metro, not because they just have better teachers, but more money for better supplies, infrastructure and management.

When I went over all of the census tract demographics for those tracts inside I-270, I saw that the population had peaked around 1990 and then declined through the early 2000s. By 2010 it had almost recovered back to peak. Of course, that includes population in areas that are either in townships or in other parts of the city that aren't Columbus, but the tract information shows the same thing happening in Columbus itself, especially in the central core neighborhoods. I do think that CPS will gradually see better days ahead.

Totally agree on Dublin. Both of the suburbs have been benefitting from the suburban trend of the past few decades, but I really think we have entered into a new era where priorities have drastically changed. I don't expect suburban sprawl to die out completely, but the focus, even there, will be on a more sustainable blueprint. New Albany is probably one of the least prepared suburbs for this change. It has a general development plan, but it is very broadbrushed. Dublin has an amazing urbanizing plan that is now in place that will completely change the way development happens there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus