Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2012, 02:57 PM

6 posts, read 8,159 times

Advertisements

My husband has been offered a job on Columbus and we have to decide by tomorrow whether he is going to accept the offer. We currently live outside of Washington DC. We have a 4th grade age child. We have been looking at Upper Arlington because of the schools and because we would like to live close in (we also considered New Albany but feel like it is probably too far out). We live in a very friendly neighborhood here and I was wondering if Upper Arlington is likely to be similar? We would barely know anyone so I am also wondering how friendly UA schools are towards new kids. If we can't find a house to buy (and there do not seem to be that many available right now), we are thinking we may have to rent but have had a very hard time finding any rentals within the UA school district. Any feedback or suggestions regarding any of these issues would be most appreciated! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 03:08 PM

490 posts, read 863,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by em555 View Post
My husband has been offered a job on Columbus and we have to decide by tomorrow whether he is going to accept the offer. We currently live outside of Washington DC. We have a 4th grade age child. We have been looking at Upper Arlington because of the schools and because we would like to live close in (we also considered New Albany but feel like it is probably too far out). We live in a very friendly neighborhood here and I was wondering if Upper Arlington is likely to be similar? We would barely know anyone so I am also wondering how friendly UA schools are towards new kids. If we can't find a house to buy (and there do not seem to be that many available right now), we are thinking we may have to rent but have had a very hard time finding any rentals within the UA school district. Any feedback or suggestions regarding any of these issues would be most appreciated! Thank you!
Upper Arlington is a great suburb with top-flight schools, nice parks and pools, and a great library system. Homes in the older parts of Arlington (basically the southern half) date from the 1920's through the 1950's. The "newer" parts of Arlington are in the northern half and date from the 1960's through the 1980's for the most part. The location of Upper Arlington can't be beat as it's only minutes away from OSU, Grandview Heights (lots of good restaurants along Grandview Avenue) and downtown. Being an older suburb, you'll find plenty of 2nd or 3rd generation Arlington people, but there are plenty of transplants from outside the are as well due to the proximity to OSU and the great school system.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:08 PM

205 posts, read 653,806 times
Upper Arlington is wonderful but don't discount New Albany as "too far out." Within Columbus circles New Albany is considered an outer suburb but having lived in Los Angeles and Detroit and having worked in areas like New York, Miami, Raleigh-Durham and Washington DC - keep in mind that New Albany is all of a short 20 minutes commute to downtown, and to put in perspective its only 30 minutes across the metro area to Hilliard. As far as friendly neighborhoods, I can't speak for UA but I can tell you we have never lived in a friendlier neighborhood than NA. I believe that has a whole lot to do with it being a new community. Very few people have lived in NA for more than ten years so there is no animosity towards outsiders moving in. Both areas have awesome schools, as does Dublin, Olentangy, Worthington and Bexley.

Not sure how life is for you in DC but in our opinion Columbus is a wonderful place to raise kids. Best of luck to you on this big decision.

Old 04-24-2012, 05:42 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,535,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by behindenemylines View Post
Upper Arlington is wonderful but don't discount New Albany as "too far out." Within Columbus circles New Albany is considered an outer suburb but having lived in Los Angeles and Detroit and having worked in areas like New York, Miami, Raleigh-Durham and Washington DC - keep in mind that New Albany is all of a short 20 minutes commute to downtown, and to put in perspective its only 30 minutes across the metro area to Hilliard. As far as friendly neighborhoods, I can't speak for UA but I can tell you we have never lived in a friendlier neighborhood than NA. I believe that has a whole lot to do with it being a new community. Very few people have lived in NA for more than ten years so there is no animosity towards outsiders moving in. Both areas have awesome schools, as does Dublin, Olentangy, Worthington and Bexley.

Not sure how life is for you in DC but in our opinion Columbus is a wonderful place to raise kids. Best of luck to you on this big decision.
Which developments in New Albany are in Columbus district for taxes but are within the New Albany school system other than Preston Commons and Albany park?

Old 04-24-2012, 06:21 PM

205 posts, read 653,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmodder View Post
Which developments in New Albany are in Columbus district for taxes but are within the New Albany school system other than Preston Commons and Albany park?
In addition to Albany Park, The Preserve and most of Hampsted Village are Columbus taxes and New Albany Schools/mailing address. I believe Preston Commons is a Westerville mailing address with Columbus taxes and Columbus schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus