Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 10:10 AM

18 posts, read 65,725 times

Advertisements

Hi

I'm a 29 year old, african-american male, young professional, single, no kids . I've been considering a couple of different cities to relocate to from the ghetto wanna-be Hollywood hellhole that is Atlanta, Georgia where I was born and raised and have unfortunately lived my whole life. I was wondering if anyone could provide some insight on the dating scene there in CBUS, particularly interracial dating as it is my dating preference of choice. Is IR dating commonplace in Columbus and if so is it frowned upon? Also I've read that Columbus doesn't have a great dating scene as a whole for people over the age of 30 which I find kinda hard to believe for a city of almost 800,000 people and a decent amount of transplants coming in.

I don't want this thread to become troll bait, just honest answers, data on different bars and events would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 12:56 PM

140 posts, read 314,256 times
Columbus is a very liberal city. The attitude of acceptance is very widespread here. Coming from rural Arkansas, I can say Columbus is much more accepting towards interracial couples, gays, etc.. The dating scene in Columbus (at least I've always thought) is great. There are plenty of people, places to go, things to see.. If people say the dating scene in Columbus is bad, they're obviously not trying.. There are plenty of bars and clubs in The Arena District and the Short North.. and there are also parks, museums, and plenty of other places to go.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:27 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,184,600 times
IR dating is acutally very common place in Cbus. Nothing unusual about it. You'll notice more IR couples in Cbus than other cities of similar size.

2 things Cbus is very friendly towards:

1-Gay community
2-IR dating.

Good friend of mine, he's black, wife is white and a 1 year old(biracial) son......they live a good life in this city and have found a great church with lots of "mixed" couples and they live in the very libral Clintonville.

Welcome to Columbus Bro!

Old 06-06-2012, 07:17 AM

80 posts, read 278,341 times
I would not classify Columbus as "very liberal". It's not San Francisco East. There is still a large number of religious oriented conservatives, especially in the suburbs and outlying areas of the region and a few large scary cultlike religious organizations, that honestly, only resemble "church" in the loosest sense of the word. That being said, Columbus is tolerant, for Ohio and the midwest. It is probably one of the more racial/interracial and GLBT friendly cities in the midwest, and honestly, an African American man who dates interracially won't have much of an issue in Columbus. Like some have said, it's quite common, especially in areas that have both high AA populations and are well integrated, like the north end. I am sure that is a refreshing change if coming from a more southern locale.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:39 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,061,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbusneon View Post
I would not classify Columbus as "very liberal". It's not San Francisco East. There is still a large number of religious oriented conservatives, especially in the suburbs and outlying areas of the region and a few large scary cultlike religious organizations, that honestly, only resemble "church" in the loosest sense of the word. That being said, Columbus is tolerant, for Ohio and the midwest. It is probably one of the more racial/interracial and GLBT friendly cities in the midwest, and honestly, an African American man who dates interracially won't have much of an issue in Columbus. Like some have said, it's quite common, especially in areas that have both high AA populations and are well integrated, like the north end. I am sure that is a refreshing change if coming from a more southern locale.
There are, unfortunately, "cultlike religious organizations" in every city. I actually think that liberal cities probably have more of them, as they are lightning rods for attracting those types of groups.

Old 06-06-2012, 12:41 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,449,561 times
I IR dated for a bit in Columbus. Granted, this was when I was 21 and at Ohio State. I'm also white and was dating a middle eastern girl, but for what it's worth, it was a very normal experience for us. Never felt like anyone was judging us or anything. I'd say relocating to Cbus would be a good choice!

Old 06-06-2012, 07:40 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,184,600 times
Quote:

If you're repling to me, I said Clintonville.......not Columbus!

Old 06-07-2012, 04:11 AM

8 posts, read 30,072 times
Quote:

Haaa Totally agreed on this point Not San Francisco !

Old 06-07-2012, 07:15 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,645,402 times
I guess I'm past the point where I care what other people think about me or my relationships, but either way you'll be fine.

Old 06-17-2012, 04:26 PM

117 posts, read 182,855 times
Default Not sure....

I'm not totally sure what this entire thread is discussing at the current moment...but I wanted to say that I think interracial dating isn't that common in Columbus oppose to some other cities. I just moved here 6 months ago and I don't see a lot interracial couples. I'm an African American woman that prefers to date white men only and I haven't had much luck with even meeting white men here. I'm not sure if it's the area I'm mostly in...but I try to travel all over to just get to know the city..but Columbus seems to be like a city that belongs in one of the southern states.... IMO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
View detailed profiles of: