Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 05:46 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,048,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairmetal4ever View Post
Since you will work near Polaris, why not look north to the city of Delaware? Its definitely got the "small town" vibe, it is technically a college town (Ohio Wesleyan is here) and I think if you find a smaller, older house you could find something for $800, although I haven't been there since I moved to Maryland in '07.
That would be a heck of a commute, though, all the way to Children's Hospital. Delaware is not really close, even to Polaris, and the only way to get there is down Rt 23, which has tons of traffic between Delaware and Columbus, and it's not getting any better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 07:04 PM

4 posts, read 6,643 times
I found some decent housing in Grove City, which fulfills 3 criteria:

Not super far from family and friends in Hilliard, 20-25 minutes from the hospital and 45 minutes from Polaris.

What do you guys think of that area?

Old 06-26-2012, 06:22 AM

490 posts, read 863,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TemplesOfSyrinx2112 View Post
I found some decent housing in Grove City, which fulfills 3 criteria:

Not super far from family and friends in Hilliard, 20-25 minutes from the hospital and 45 minutes from Polaris.

What do you guys think of that area?
Grove City has really grown a lot in the last 10 or 15 years. I believe the population is now approaching 40,000. I'd say it's a suburb that's transforming from small-town and somewhat country to typical suburban middle-class sprawl, though it does have a nice little downtown area. The schools are ok, not the best but certainly not the worst. There is plenty of commercial development along Stringtown Road (Target, etc.) to fulfill most of your shopping and restaurant needs. It has a bit of a reputation as somewhat backwards (I've heard some people call it "Grovetucky"), but that's based more on Grove City's past than its current state in my opinion. The traffic on I-71 between downtown and Grove City can get clogged at rush hour, but it generally moves and your estimates for travel to the hospital and Polaris sound about right.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:31 PM

225 posts, read 462,167 times
It may be too pricey but Worthington fits your needs as well. It is a great suburb.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:59 AM

212 posts, read 686,869 times
I live in Grove City and it's a nice town. Some areas are Grove City but Columbus taxes, so that's something you need to keep in mind, esp if you buy or rent a house and have kids. we have a GC address but our kids would go to Columbus. doesn't bother me because education needs to start with me but others have a different take. Southwestern Schools are rated very good. I love where I live because I can be downtown, Stringtown Rd or Hilliard in 10-20 mintues. 71 can get crazy but there's always ways around it, depending on where you live. good luck in yor search!

Old 06-29-2012, 12:37 PM

37 posts, read 102,904 times
Try areas close to downtown Worthington. Might fit your wishlist.

Old 07-01-2012, 04:02 PM

73 posts, read 184,959 times
I don't mind driving, but for me, the commute from Grove City to Polaris would get old in a hurry on several levels, any way you slice it. If it were me, given your commute destinations, taste in older neighborhoods, and price range, I'd be looking at the older sections of Gahanna, Westerville, or Worthington, or if the school district doesn't matter, Clintonville or even the Short North/Victorian Village. Somewhere in that rough triangle should meet all of your requirements.

Old 08-05-2012, 08:37 AM

11 posts, read 27,355 times
I think you could maybe find what you are looking for in Westerville. It is a lovely small town and there are definitely older homes available for rent. Lewis Center, which is where I currently live, would be great proximity wise, but we mostly have large subdivisions which sounds like maybe not your cup of tea. It is a wonderful ton though that I cannot say anough great things about! :-)

Old 08-18-2012, 01:41 PM

259 posts, read 428,201 times
Check out Worthington. It is an older established neighborhood with a downtown and it is close to both I-71 and Polaris. We live in Worthington and it feels very very safe to me.

Old 08-28-2012, 01:49 PM

9 posts, read 15,236 times
I'm in a similar situation. My fiance and I are actually moving back to columbus from Phoenix. We found a house to rent for about $800 a month but it wasn't easy and it's not a great area (weber rd. just east of the 71). But thats right around where i grew up so I know what we're getting into. I like being right near the 71, and easy access to clintonville, grandview, downtown, worthington etc. I just worry that you can't find anything in a great area for around $800. Our last place in Columbus was the Arbors of Watermark, which was around $900 for a good sized one bedroom, with a pretty good location. We just need a house now with a yard for our dogs, and there's nothing in a great area as far as houses for $800. but maybe yyou can find a nice apartment in a good area sub $800. good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus