Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2012, 08:56 PM

22 posts, read 33,995 times

Advertisements

Would it bother you if your neighbor told your right after you went into contract there were two suicides in your house, and then their kid later tells you it's haunted and he talks to the ghosts? lol...

Is there any state law in ohio requiring the seller (a bank - foreclosure) to disclose this information?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 11:19 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times
Haha that would be a little creepy, but I'd call that bluff. People sometimes like messing with newbies! Wouldn't worry too much about it.

Old 07-03-2012, 11:21 PM

198 posts, read 524,743 times
Might want to back up what they said with factual information before doing anything. Taking the neighbors word as fact can get you into trouble. Ever think that they might be playing a prank on you? or they don't want you to move in?

Old 07-03-2012, 11:33 PM

Well their kid is "special".. And I don't personally believe he has the mindset to lie (but obviously has an active imagination). Also part of his story I've already verified, unable to find anything online about the actual suicide(s) though. I don't think the parent was full of it, he seemed nice, and they both knew previous to any comments that I had already bought the house so its not like they were trying to scare me away. hah. I don't think the police will give the information to me and the bank doesn't know anything supposedly, so shy of asking all the neighbors i have no way of verifying. I would say the odds that its true are greater then 75% though.

Old 07-04-2012, 08:04 AM

76 posts, read 79,635 times
I think it wouldn't really bother me, unless I started seeing things myself. I think that after all the years man has been around there are probably a iot of places someone died that no one even knows about. I've lived in lots of places people died unless you tear down all the old houses how could that be avoided? Are you afraid to move in now?

Old 07-04-2012, 09:50 AM

140 posts, read 314,126 times
A realtor (or seller of the home) must disclose if there was a death in the house by the previous owner. (thats not to say other people before the previous owner could have also died) I would do more research on the house. Public records, etc. It does sound a bit creepy, even if it wasnt real, to have neighbors tell you those things.

Old 07-04-2012, 01:04 PM

Location: Columbus, OH / Lake Las Vegas, NV / Indianapolis, IN
81 posts, read 168,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewddd View Post
A realtor (or seller of the home) must disclose if there was a death in the house by the previous owner. (thats not to say other people before the previous owner could have also died) I would do more research on the house. Public records, etc. It does sound a bit creepy, even if it wasnt real, to have neighbors tell you those things.
Incorrect. Under Ohio law, neither a Realtor or owner are legally obligated to disclose a death in the house, whether under the previous owner or a subsequent owner.

Old 07-04-2012, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHBuckeye View Post
Incorrect. Under Ohio law, neither a Realtor or owner are legally obligated to disclose a death in the house, whether under the previous owner or a subsequent owner.
Thanks. Yeah I'm not sure, I know some states have laws against it. And I know while looking at another property - i was informed there was a murder there. Must be a common thing around Columbus :-P

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrinka View Post
I think it wouldn't really bother me, unless I started seeing things myself. I think that after all the years man has been around there are probably a iot of places someone died that no one even knows about. I've lived in lots of places people died unless you tear down all the old houses how could that be avoided? Are you afraid to move in now?
No i'm not afraid to move, I'm a scientist, I believe in reality :-). However, I have not mentioned it to my wife - because she will react like I assumed most people would - with fear and apprehension. Hoping the neighbors don't mention it to her until we're entirely moved in lol.

Apparently less then a quarter of people die in their home. So if your home has been owned by 4 or more "old" people, I guess the odds are some one died there (not counting in the curve that people probably died more often in their home the older it was/ago).

Old 07-04-2012, 10:12 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,231,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.root View Post
Would it bother you if your neighbor told your right after you went into contract there were two suicides in your house, and then their kid later tells you it's haunted and he talks to the ghosts? lol...

Is there any state law in ohio requiring the seller (a bank - foreclosure) to disclose this information?
Yes it would bother me and it might bother you. I don't know if there is a state law in OH, but there is in PA and some other states.

It's called "stigmatized property" , and generally a murder, suicide, the reputation of ae being haunted, decreases the value of the property. So, it's common courtesy that you at least be told of these events. Even if you personally do not believe in the paranormal, many people do.

Others just don't want to live in a place where a violent and tragic event occurred.
My wife knows a lot about this stuff if you want to send me a DM.

Old 07-06-2012, 02:20 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,602,405 times
I read your other thread too about the unstable neighbor.

I would recommend having a chat with other neighbors as to how unstable the kid is, along with the general history of the house and go from there.

There are some properties everywhere that are just problematic. I know you don't want to lose your earnest money, but if the situation can't be dealt with, you might be better off in another area. Perhaps you can find something the inspectors missed. Radon gas? Sewer remediation?

If not, perhaps have a firm plan of attack as to how you'll deal with the rest of it.

I'm sorry that we have some tainted homes in Cols.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus