U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 12:40 PM

3 posts, read 11,853 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Columbus, Ohio. I have heard that Columbus is nice.

I've heard that the nicest area's are Dublin, Bexley and New Albany. Are these really the nicest Columbus suburbs?

What are the pro's and cons of Dublin, Bexley and New Albany?
Are there any good shopping centers, restaurants, parks, ect near by these towns?
Which one would you guys recommend?

Thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 01:22 PM

443 posts, read 753,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readabook43 View Post

I've heard that the nicest area's are Dublin, Bexley and New Albany. Are these really the nicest Columbus suburbs?

Are there any good shopping centers, restaurants, parks, ect near by these towns?

Thank you!
Upper Arlington and Grandview Heights should also be on the list. They, along with Dublin, Bexley and New Albany are probably the five nicest.

If you want older homes with walkable neighborhoods and convenience to downtown, OSU and The Short North or German Village, Upper Arlington, Bexley and GH are what you should look at.

If you want newer homes and don't mind driving a bit more, Dublin and New Albany are worth a look.

All have good school systems and parks. All have good restaurants either in the suburb itself (especially Grandview) or not too far away.

The housing in Grandview is very expensive per square foot due to its popularity and it's not an especially big suburb (about 7,000) so that's its biggest con. Bexley has some dicey neighborhoods fairly close by (though Bexley itself is quite safe). I can't pinpoint a really big con for Upper Arlington other than a relative lack of commercial development, but the Lane Avenue corridor has added a lot in recent years along with the rehab to Kingsdale. Dublin is very spread out and the traffic in that area can get heavy. New Albany is still very much in a growth phase, so it's not as mature in terms of amenities as the others.

If I were choosing an older suburb I'd go with Upper Arlington or Grandview and a newer suburb I'd go with New Albany.

Old 07-16-2012, 02:03 PM

16,157 posts, read 16,364,139 times
Quote:

Thank you!
Well, first, are you more interested in suburbs/exurbs or something a bit closer to Downtown? There are quite a few nice areas that you can look at closer to the city as well, including Upper Arlington, Grandview Heights, Short North/Victorian Village, German Village and Marble Cliff. These are all about as close to Downtown as Bexley is.

Other nice areas would include Clintonville, Worthington and Hilliard.

Old 07-16-2012, 04:32 PM

3 posts, read 11,853 times
More interested in the suburbs. I lived city life for a while and now I want to have a quieter lifestyle but with all the amenities that city life can provide. Such as nice shops and restaurants and some things to do. I don't mind driving to get where I am going. How far away is Dublin from downtown? I am leaning more towards Dublin since people I've talked to and the research I have done seems to show that it's a nice town.

Old 07-16-2012, 04:38 PM

Quote:
More interested in the suburbs. I lived city life for a while and now I want to have a quieter lifestyle but with all the amenities that city life can provide. Such as nice shops and restaurants and some things to do. I don't mind driving to get where I am going. How far away is Dublin from downtown? I am leaning more towards Dublin since people I've talked to and the research I have done seems to show that it's a nice town.
Then I would stick to Dublin, Bexley, Upper Arlington and Grandview. They all offer plenty of single-family housing with larger lots, but are closer to amenities. Dublin is the most suburban of these, but has big plans to densify the city. New Albany is entirely suburban and not really close to anything.

Old 07-16-2012, 07:16 PM

249 posts, read 576,676 times
Dublin is about 20 mintues from downtown with out traffic

Old 07-16-2012, 08:42 PM

205 posts, read 622,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooks50 View Post
Dublin is about 20 mintues from downtown with out traffic
And New Albany is 15 minutes from downtown without traffic but for some reason jbcmh81 is under the impression its out by Utica or something. Granted, its not as built up as Dublin (and Dublin is an awesome place) but its expanding and as close to everywhere as any other suburb outside the 270.

Not trying to talk you out of Dublin, just be aware jbcmh81 has some sort of agenda against New Albany and he loves to post inaccurate accounts about New Albany on these boards

Old 07-17-2012, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by behindenemylines View Post
And New Albany is 15 minutes from downtown without traffic but for some reason jbcmh81 is under the impression its out by Utica or something. Granted, its not as built up as Dublin (and Dublin is an awesome place) but its expanding and as close to everywhere as any other suburb outside the 270.

Not trying to talk you out of Dublin, just be aware jbcmh81 has some sort of agenda against New Albany and he loves to post inaccurate accounts about New Albany on these boards
The OP said he wanted a suburb, but with all city amenities. Sorry, but New Albany just doesn't fit that description, at least not at this time. When I said "not close to anything", I meant the city amenities. Can you drive into Columbus from there, sure, but like it or not, it is further than Dublin. Downtown Dublin is INSIDE 270 along 161. Downtown NA is about 5 miles outside of 270. And I don't have anything against NA in particular. The suburbs in general are not my thing, so I'd never choose to live in Dublin either. I admit I'm partial to more things urban (I currently live in a neighborhood with 60,000 people per square mile, 20x the Columbus average), so I'm probably more partial to Dublin because of the Bridge Street plan. That said, just trying to give the OP the options that matched his criteria. If I thought NA did, I would mention it.

Old 07-17-2012, 06:09 AM

205 posts, read 622,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
The OP said he wanted a suburb, but with all city amenities. Sorry, but New Albany just doesn't fit that description, at least not at this time. When I said "not close to anything", I meant the city amenities. Can you drive into Columbus from there, sure, but like it or not, it is further than Dublin. Downtown Dublin is INSIDE 270 along 161. Downtown NA is about 5 miles outside of 270. And I don't have anything against NA in particular. The suburbs in general are not my thing, so I'd never choose to live in Dublin either. I admit I'm partial to more things urban (I currently live in a neighborhood with 60,000 people per square mile, 20x the Columbus average), so I'm probably more partial to Dublin because of the Bridge Street plan. That said, just trying to give the OP the options that matched his criteria. If I thought NA did, I would mention it.
He also said he doesn't mind driving. Easton is 7 minutes from NA. I know you were offering your best insight to the OP but others read these threads too and to always suggest NA is in the middle of nowhere and not close to anything is just not true nor helpful.

I love Dublin and yes there is way more shopping and restaurants inside Dublin. Then again, Dublin covers a large area and it may take just as long if not longer for a Dublin resident to get to Tuttle as it does for someone in NA to get to Easton. In fact, it takes me 18 minutes to get to the Whole Foods in Dublin at Sawmill and Dublin-Granville and I bet there are Dublin residents who live up by Tartan Fields or Glacier Ridge that would be hard pressed to get there as quickly. NA might be a few miles outside the 270 but it has a freeway that runs to it (161) that makes it super easy to get to anywhere.

I don't mind that you don't like NA, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Obviously I am very partial to NA. We almost didn't even look in NA when we moved to Columbus a few years ago based upon a bunch of posts on these forums about NA. We now know most of those posts came from people whose opinion was based on very little or no actual experience. You are a respected poster on these boards and your word carries a great deal of weight. Its just not helpful to those moving to the area to throw around inaccuracies all the time.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:25 PM

219 posts, read 756,529 times
wow.... I just don't understand why there are perpetual real estate agents selling New Albany here on the forum.

From lies like "New Albany is only 15 minutes to downtown" to "Best School District."

Don't buy New Albany. It's famous in the local for its distance away from everything. Famous for its REMOTE FARM like setting. Famous for Apply/Pears picking. 15 minutes driving to downtown? You must be kidding or driving 100 miles/hr without a single stop traffic.

It's expensive because the wealthy legend Wexner lives there and wanted only expensive houses in a remote quiet community.

It's not the best school district as the desparate owners would claim. NA Never has claim a top district performance index score in any year.

Avoid New Albany.

If you list all the amenities you want, maybe I can give you some perspectives where is a better choice. Like, you like Golf? Zoo and Water park? 1st class fitness center? shopping mall? parks?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>