U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 12:04 PM

1 posts, read 1,596 times

Advertisements

I hope to retire in about 5 years. Although I've lived on the East Coast for the past 25 years, I was born and reared in NE Ohio and earned a degree at OSU.
I lived in Cols. for 7 years before heading to the Balto.Washington, D.C. area.
I've done reasonably well here, but miss unpretentious and friendly Columbusites. Question: Would Columbus a decent place for a 65+ woman of moderate means? I can afford a small condo there that would be far too costly here, and utilities, medical care and other services seem more moderately priced as well. I'd be looking in Worthington, Dublin or Hilliard.
Any thoughts, recommendations?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 12:46 PM

16,175 posts, read 16,538,021 times
Certainly your money would go much further in Ohio than the Baltimore/DC area, so in that regard, it's definitely a good place to retire. As far as the suburbs you mentioned, I'm not sure which one would be the least expensive, but likely Hilliard.

Old 07-20-2012, 06:46 PM

279 posts, read 540,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chovee View Post
I hope to retire in about 5 years. Although I've lived on the East Coast for the past 25 years, I was born and reared in NE Ohio and earned a degree at OSU.
I lived in Cols. for 7 years before heading to the Balto.Washington, D.C. area.
I've done reasonably well here, but miss unpretentious and friendly Columbusites. Question: Would Columbus a decent place for a 65+ woman of moderate means? I can afford a small condo there that would be far too costly here, and utilities, medical care and other services seem more moderately priced as well. I'd be looking in Worthington, Dublin or Hilliard.
Any thoughts, recommendations?
Ohio would have a lower cost of living that the Balt/Wash D.C.; however, you will be paying your fair share of sales, income and property taxes! I would reccomend a more tax friendly State for retirees, one example is TN.

The suburbs you mentioned are nice; however, the only suburbs of Columbus that I would live in is Upper Arlington or Grandview Heights. German Village is nice and so is Victorian Village. Those are in Columbus proper.

Old 07-20-2012, 08:46 PM

16,175 posts, read 16,538,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPY1 View Post
Ohio would have a lower cost of living that the Balt/Wash D.C.; however, you will be paying your fair share of sales, income and property taxes! I would reccomend a more tax friendly State for retirees, one example is TN.

The suburbs you mentioned are nice; however, the only suburbs of Columbus that I would live in is Upper Arlington or Grandview Heights. German Village is nice and so is Victorian Village. Those are in Columbus proper.
Ohio, unlike what people believe, has a very low cost of living overall if you factor in all living costs like housing, utilities, food, etc. Even if some tax rates are higher than other states, other things make up for it. Tennessee is a cheap place to live, but not drastically so in comparison. Ohio actually beats the vast majority of Sun Belt states for COL.

Old 07-20-2012, 10:22 PM

909 posts, read 1,300,434 times
Doesn't Tennessee have a 9% sales tax? I think the highest anywhere in Ohio is 7.75%.

Old 07-21-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxdtdemon View Post
Doesn't Tennessee have a 9% sales tax? I think the highest anywhere in Ohio is 7.75%.
Sales tax in TN is higher than OH; however, I believe there is no state incomes taxes in TN. When I lived and worked in TN I had to pay zero (0) state income tax on my earned income and I didn't make enough interest income to have to pay taxes on it.

Old 07-21-2012, 01:58 PM

225 posts, read 435,517 times
No state income tax does not always mean a good deal. My wife and I moved from Texas to Ohio and are much better off tax wise. Texas had no income tax but our property taxes were significantly higher, sales tax was higher, we paid more for groceries, and the worst part of all was all the toll roads. Toll roads are the worst tax in Texas. Every new road they built in Houston seemed to be a toll road. Gas was 20 cents cheaper per gallon but the sprawl and lack of any other form of transit meant you are going to use a lot more gas. I fill up my tank every 2.5 weeks or so in Columbus. In Texas I was filling up my tank at least once a week. I think Ohio is a great place to retire and I am ecstatic that my wife and I moved to Columbus from Houston.

Old 07-21-2012, 05:22 PM

Default Cost of Living Comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by bam989863 View Post
No state income tax does not always mean a good deal. My wife and I moved from Texas to Ohio and are much better off tax wise. Texas had no income tax but our property taxes were significantly higher, sales tax was higher, we paid more for groceries, and the worst part of all was all the toll roads. Toll roads are the worst tax in Texas. Every new road they built in Houston seemed to be a toll road. Gas was 20 cents cheaper per gallon but the sprawl and lack of any other form of transit meant you are going to use a lot more gas. I fill up my tank every 2.5 weeks or so in Columbus. In Texas I was filling up my tank at least once a week. I think Ohio is a great place to retire and I am ecstatic that my wife and I moved to Columbus from Houston.
See my post in the other thread considering the cost of living... As stated there I live in the Valley (McAllen/Harlingen/Brownsville) which is the cheapest place in the country to live 10 cheapest cities in the country - Yahoo! Homes . I'm sure Houston is more expensive than here, I wouldn't want to deal with the Houston traffic which never goes away. A cost of living calculator would be needed to see which is cheaper...Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed That calculator shows the valley as cheaper than Houston and Houston cheaper than the US Average and shows Houston and Columbus ever so slightly higher than Houston.

I'd prefer to live in Columbus over Houston any day! I'll agree with you 100% there... I'll even eventually move back to or near Columbus (I'm a *****way/Fairfield County Man)... but probably not to retire.

Last edited by Yac; 08-02-2012 at 05:28 AM..

Old 07-21-2012, 06:52 PM

225 posts, read 435,517 times
I know Brownsville is definitely an affordable place to live. I taught in Pasadena, Texas and we had a lot of kids from the valley who would move in and then move back to the valley within a year. I did not mind living in Houston but the rankings and reputation it receives from Yahoo, Forbes, etc are misleading in my opinion. I definitely prefer a city with more character and a stronger sense of community to make my home and raise my family. My wife and I feel like we have found that in Columbus, Ohio.

Old 07-21-2012, 06:58 PM

372 posts, read 422,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bam989863 View Post
Same when I lived in West Palm. They didn't have an income tax, but Florida certainly made up for it in other areas. My car insurance MORE than doubled. Road tolls were not bad in Florida except the turnpike. COL was pretty bad, and the relative income is about the same in Florida and Ohio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus