Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2010, 10:19 PM

8 posts, read 28,983 times

Advertisements

We have a problem - just moved into an apartment close to campus. Need to get internet and cable set up but the previous tenants haven't disconnected from WOW, which is who we were trying to set up with. WOW says they can't disconnect until the account owner does it . The landlord says there is nothing he can do and seems reluctant to contact the tenants. We need internet access because several of our classes are online-dependent. We can't be trying to find internet access in the middle of the night to try to do our assignments. WOW seems clueless as to understanding that we have to have this access for college.

We hear terrible things about Time Warner. Any suggestions on who we can try to get internet from, at least? We can live without cable but have to be online. Not sure if even a different company can connect if this isn't cancelled. These two seem to be the only ones we hear about. Or do we just have to try Time Warner in desperation?

We are starting to panic a bit about this, we can't be without internet for almost a quarter.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 11:11 AM

66 posts, read 204,075 times
You could always try verizon DSL, it uses your phone line so if the cable isn't disconnected, it doesn't matter.

Old 09-18-2010, 05:34 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,701,158 times
Virgin Mobile has a pay as you go wireless internet plan for $40/month, unlimited use. The USB modem thingie is about $80 or less now, or they have a new wifi hotspot product for about $150 that would let two or more people share the connection using wifi.

Old 09-20-2010, 06:41 AM

198 posts, read 524,743 times
you can connect with a different cable company which will force disconnect WOW cable. Then wait a week and call them back saying you don't like their service and then connect with WOW cable which is what you wanted.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:13 AM

25 posts, read 68,928 times
I have time warner and I'm about 10 minutes from campus. I don't have any problems with them. Infact they were great when they came to set me up. They were helpful over the phone the guy even helped me save some money. I've never had a cable destruption. I don't know what your budget is for cable and internet but they have packages I got the big cable package and the big internet package and it costs me 100 a month (no more no less) I've got 3 tv's on that hook up and 2 computers and evidently roaming laptop users who log into my wireless because I used my own router and didn't know how to set up a password protected system. I'd reconsider it or find out what exactly was the problem. My entire community is on Time warner so it can't be that bad cause the choice is this and dish and I've heard bad things about dish not working in bad weather.

Old 09-20-2010, 02:00 PM

143 posts, read 374,524 times
I have AT&T, the most basic wireless plan available. It can be slow to load videos on youtube or netflix, but for basic browsing and downloading it is not bad - especially for $20/month. If your courses require bloated websites or online applications there are other plans a bit more expensive.

As for the previous-tenant questions ... sorry, no idea. Good luck though!

Old 09-20-2010, 04:58 PM

8 posts, read 28,983 times
Thanks, everyone. A friend down here had us call someone he knows who works for TW and has installed many of the places around here and he was able to work with us to get something affordable. There are only two of us so we have to be frugal still splitting the cost. As someone said earlier, this will force WOW to move on the disconnection. The WOW person actually told us to call TW, which we thought was weird but I guess since they said they can't do anything right now, they don't care if someone else gets the business. We'll maybe switch to WOW if it's cheaper when the TW rate goes up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus