Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 09:46 PM

6 posts, read 6,142 times

Advertisements

Hy everyone! I've been admitted to OSU for Spring13. I'm actually living in a small town call Oak Lawn near Chicago. I've lived there for 3 years and it is a very calm, secured and cool town. Since I got admitted to OSU, I'm doing my researches to know about where I'm going and all I read about is crime and crazy driver ( or even racist people sometimes). I'm a young black girl so I need to feel safe before accepting to move there ( a big problem is that I will be staying off campus). Can someone please gives me information about that city and tell me if it is a good idea to move there as a young girl because I will be by myself . I'm already scared about the fact that there is a lot of earthquake nearby. Please, I NEED HELP ! Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2012, 10:56 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,048,277 times
Where exactly are reading all this?

You shouldn't encounter any of those problems in significant numbers.

Old 11-11-2012, 10:19 AM

really? I've been reading those on many forums.
Can you please, tell me which areas are safe and cool to stay for a student in columbus?

Old 11-11-2012, 11:29 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times
OSU alum here. After reading your post, I'd say your fears are a bit misplaced. I am not sure where you read about earthquakes, but trust me, if there is an earthquake, you will need to see a report on TV to know that it actually happened. During my time at OSU, there was really only one time the weather was scary and that was a result of Hurricane Ike. I'm not sure about the racist stuff- are you talking about the racist graffiti stuff on campus? I would say that there are a lot of students from the rural central Ohio areas that may not have a lot of experience with minorities, but they aren't hostile towards them.

As for areas to live in, I lived in northeast of campus in SoHud. I would definitely recommend the area to anybody. It is true, as with any urban campus, there is crime around the university. When I was there, most of the crime I heard about was southeast of campus. Up by me, the most common crime was people getting their cars broken into/windows smashed. Not gonna lie, it was actually a pretty regular occurrence. HOWEVER, I always made sure that there was nothing of value in the car at night, just totally empty. I would even leave the doors unlocked. A couple times, I could tell someone had been in my car because the glove compartment would be open and some stuff moved, but no damage at all. Just be smart- don't leave a GPS or iPad laying in the front seat.

If you have anymore questions, ask away! I really enjoyed being a student at Ohio State and had a good experience living in that area of Columbus.

Old 11-11-2012, 03:37 PM

Thank you so much for that answer. it help a lot. I will take a look at SoHud and always remember your advices. Thank you

Old 11-11-2012, 07:08 PM

249 posts, read 609,282 times
Depending on how close you want to be to the university area you should check the bethel/henderson area, its about 15 mins from the university but there are direct bus lines......also hillard near the hillard rome road area as well

Old 11-11-2012, 10:08 PM

14,669 posts, read 14,631,326 times
The neighborhoods east of the campus used to be a lot worse than they are now. Pretty much stay west of 71 and you'll be good.
Columbus itself has some bad neighborhoods, but the crime rate is better than most all the other cities in Ohio. It's also pretty liberal so I wouldn't worry about racism more than anywhere else.

Old 11-11-2012, 10:49 PM

Thank you for those information. So, I've done alot more researches and can someone tell me what he/she thinks about areas like upper arlington, dublin, gahanna, new albany, bexley and powell for a young student like me? Which one would you recommend ( my parents don't mind the price as far as it is really safe and it is a cool neighborhood).

Old 11-11-2012, 10:59 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEENAAS92 View Post
Thank you for those information. So, I've done alot more researches and can someone tell me what he/she thinks about areas like upper arlington, dublin, gahanna, new albany, bexley and powell for a young student like me? Which one would you recommend ( my parents don't mind the price as far as it is really safe and it is a cool neighborhood).
Even if price isn't an issue, I don't think you'll have that much fun if you're not more around campus. All of those areas, except for UA, are a pretty decent distance, so I think you would not feel so much a part of the community at OSU. Social life would suffer, since you wouldn't be around where your peers live. If you are really really concerned about safety, I think you should just realize that there are thousands of other students just like you who come to Ohio State every year, and they do just fine- you will too!

Old 11-11-2012, 11:26 PM

Thanks Bjimmy24 for you concern. But I really prefer to almost travel to go to school and be safe than having a social life and be stress 24/7. I am kind of looking for a neighborhood like the one I'm living in Illinois. It is very safe, I've never heard about crime, and I see the police going around all the time. From all I've read on forums and crime websites about Columbus and vinicities, I'm more fearfull than ever so, I prefer to be safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus