Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Columbus, OH surpass Indianapolis, IN in population in the next 20 years?
Yes 66 65.35%
No 20 19.80%
Maybe 15 14.85%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 01:36 AM

10 posts, read 7,279 times

Advertisements

What does most of this have to do with the comparison of Indianapolis and Columbus? If I have learned anything it is that we really don't know what the future holds. Columbus may take off and it may slow down. It may continue in its direction. Indianapolis is growing, maybe not as quickly but that can change. Indy was in the final 20 for Amazon HG2. While I didn't expect any city in the midwest to land that, had any of them had, it would have changed the game. Whether be Indy or Cbus, Amazon HG2 would have created many high paying jobs and the city and metro area population growth would have increased dramatically. The point I make is we cannot foresee these sorts of changes and one change can have a domino effect that not only influences the growth of one city but of all other cities in the region. One city's growth can hamper another's.

I think a lot of fair points have been made in regards to population growth vs. quality of life vs. amenities, etc. This is fine when we are comparing cities from an objective perspective, but a resident's "subjective" perception of the city is the only thing that really matters. People love Columbus and people love Indy; people hate Columbus and people hate Indy. It is all relative. I live in Indy but know Columbus pretty well. Honestly, they are very similar in my opinion. Both cities have their pros and cons and those pros and cons are relative. Will the faster population growth be a positive one for Columbus? That depends on the opinions of the people that live there. As others have pointed out there are some great advantages and significant disadvantages to population growth (i.e. NYC, Chicago, San Francisco). I think it is great both cities are growing. From an Indianapolis perspective, I would love to see an increase in population density not just population growth. The Indianapolis metro area is growing as well (i.e. Fishers, Carmel, etc.) which affects the city. Even if the city's population growth stagnates, as long as the metro area continues to grow, more amenities with be offered (i.e. more direct flights from Indianapolis International Airport, more retail and dinning options, etc.). Chicago doesn't have two very large airports because the city has 3 million people; it has those airports because the metro area exceeds 8 million people. The metro area is where the growth is and that positively impacts the city. Technically, San Francisco is smaller than both Indianapolis and Columbus yet we wouldn't even consider comparing San Francisco to either midwestern city. Sure one may have a preference but when comparing amenities, restaurants, hotels, tourism, airport, transit, culture, etc. San Francisco can't be beat. If cost of living wasn't a hindrance, I would move to San Francisco in a heartbeat. They aren't even competing in the same league yet Indianapolis does have more people. It is a larger city but San Francisco is a much more densely populated city and the metro area is very large. I don't think people in San Francisco care that they are "technically" smaller than Indy or Cbus. They have the amenities and culture we don't have and will never have with such small metro areas. Certainly this all can change but both Indy and Cbus are moons away from being able to compete with cities in larger metro areas, regardless of city population growth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2019, 04:58 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,353,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Columbus is spread out. It's a city in one sense and an amalgamation of suburban areas and neighborhoods on the other. It's a large city, population wise, but doesn't feel as big as it is because the population is thinned out. Those are the amenities. Columbus has some stuff you don't see like COSI, but the areas are very much the same.

The Sunbelt cities are just like Columbus in most regards. Atlanta is like Columbus. A lot of Virginia is similar to Columbus. Florida cities are quite similar. The only real difference is that the cities are smaller in population but the built form of the metro areas are very similar.

If you're in Jacksonville or Tampa and you're thinking about Ohio you're probably looking at Columbus. There isn't much of a difference.

I'm talking about Southerners that do not know anything about Ohio. I'm not talking about people like me and you that are biased because we're either from Ohio, born there, have a spouse from there, whatever.

People move to cities that they have a lot in common with where they're from, or aspirations to how they want to live.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Columbus hit 902,674 this year according to MORPC, an increase over 2017 of just under 22,000. That would mean it will surpass Cleveland's all-time population of 914K sometime in the next year to become Ohio's largest city ever, and the city could very well hit 1 million within 5 years. That would blow Indy away, and it's already surpassed them.
Columbus has an estimated 2018 population of 879,170, which makes it the 15th largest city in the United States. Dec 27, 2018 -Worldpopulationreview

Old 02-28-2019, 05:13 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,353,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdGuitar View Post
I live and work in the NYC metro area (Central N.J. to be specific). As an Accountant in the Startups (Saas) sector, there are two cities that constantly come up in conversations at the water cooler, forums, social media, and recently TV business shows. Those cities are Austin and Columbus. The incubation and venture capital funding new companies is hot right about now. So much, that this is what brought me here to start getting a pulse on the life in Columbus OH. I even have plans to visit the city soon. That being said, if the buzz about the city continues, I do see the prospects of population growth.

We all know how the Bay Area, NYC and its metro area, Seattle and similar areas have become completely unaffordable. So, even if you take a pay cut, the salaries that nets against your living expenses, taxes, and what not will leave you some disposable income that will place you in a much better place. Needless to say, some of us think that these bigs cities are highly over rated.
Columbus is like Austin in terms of being a State Capital, home to a major university and around 900,000 in city population. Beyond that, there is NO comparison. Go find a photo circa 2000, of Columbus's skyline and Austin's. Austin's population growth has surpassed Columbus. In 1990, Austin was 466,000 residents vs 632,000 in Columbus. Now Austin has 60,000 more residents and will likely hit 1 million before the next Presidential inauguration.

ATX is the biggest tech hub in the south bar none. It ranked in the top 10 for per capital tech jobs growth in the world. You got new campuses/office towers for Oracle, Apple, Google, Facebook, Indeed.com, Homeway.com, EA Sports, Wal-mart IT, Amazon Web Services and the new Army Futures Command there. Dell Computer, VMWare, HP, AMD and Samsung (a $17billion chip plant) there. This excludes Apple announcing a second campus there on which the plan to spend $1 billion. Oh and Chanel, the fragrance maker announced in 2018, plans to open their first manufacturing plant in north America north of Austin.

Old 02-28-2019, 11:25 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,048,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
Columbus has an estimated 2018 population of 879,170, which makes it the 15th largest city in the United States. Dec 27, 2018 -Worldpopulationreview
That's not the 2018 population, that's the Census-estimated population from 2017. The 2018 estimate is from MORPC. Your link is 1 year behind. And Columbus was in 14th place in 2017, not 15th.

Old 02-28-2019, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Columbus is like Austin in terms of being a State Capital, home to a major university and around 900,000 in city population. Beyond that, there is NO comparison. Go find a photo circa 2000, of Columbus's skyline and Austin's. Austin's population growth has surpassed Columbus. In 1990, Austin was 466,000 residents vs 632,000 in Columbus. Now Austin has 60,000 more residents and will likely hit 1 million before the next Presidential inauguration.

ATX is the biggest tech hub in the south bar none. It ranked in the top 10 for per capital tech jobs growth in the world. You got new campuses/office towers for Oracle, Apple, Google, Facebook, Indeed.com, Homeway.com, EA Sports, Wal-mart IT, Amazon Web Services and the new Army Futures Command there. Dell Computer, VMWare, HP, AMD and Samsung (a $17billion chip plant) there. This excludes Apple announcing a second campus there on which the plan to spend $1 billion. Oh and Chanel, the fragrance maker announced in 2018, plans to open their first manufacturing plant in north America north of Austin.
Austin is also approaching 100 square miles larger. Columbus would easily be the larger city at the same size.
In any case, in the most recent year growth we know for sure, 2016-2017, Columbus added more people at the city level than Austin even despite the different sizes. Austin still grew faster in the metro, so I guess you can cheer suburban sprawl.

Also, it's still in Texas. No thanks.

Old 03-01-2019, 11:44 AM

2,221 posts, read 4,389,805 times
Quote:
Just for the record, Charlotte will pass Columbus population by 2025 😏

Old 03-01-2019, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZnGuy View Post
Just for the record, Charlotte will pass Columbus population by 2025 ��
Eh, I wouldn't be so sure about that. Charlotte only added 32 more people 2016-2017 than Columbus did. Columbus' population growth seems to be speeding up, while Charlotte's may be slowing. Still have to watch the trends, but it very well may take longer than 6 years for Charlotte to pass it. And as with Austin, Charlotte's municipal boundary is much bigger than Columbus'. The gap between them would be much larger at the same size.
In any case, Columbus is unlikely to lose its national ranking. It's been growing faster on average than San Francisco and Jacksonville, FL, 2 cities that are currently ahead of it. See below:

Columbus vs. San Francisco in 2010: -18,202
Columbus vs. San Francisco in 2017: -5,193
Average annual Columbus gain 2010-2017: +1,858
At a similar rate into the near future, Columbus should pass SF by 2020 or 2021.

Columbus vs. Jacksonville in 2010: -34,751
Columbus vs. Jacksonville in 2017: -12,892
Average annual Columbus gain 2010-2017: +3,123
At a similar rate into the near future, Columbus should pass Jacksonville by 2021 or 2022.

Other than Charlotte, there are no other cities below Columbus that are a threat for at least the next few decades- even Seattle- so Columbus will probably settle into its current ranking of 14th or 13th... or 12th if it can catch up to San Jose, but that's probably a good 15 years or so distant.

Old 03-01-2019, 07:36 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,389,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Eh, I wouldn't be so sure about that. Charlotte only added 32 more people 2016-2017 than Columbus did. Columbus' population growth seems to be speeding up, while Charlotte's may be slowing. Still have to watch the trends, but it very well may take longer than 6 years for Charlotte to pass it. And as with Austin, Charlotte's municipal boundary is much bigger than Columbus'. The gap between them would be much larger at the same size.
In any case, Columbus is unlikely to lose its national ranking. It's been growing faster on average than San Francisco and Jacksonville, FL, 2 cities that are currently ahead of it. See below:

Columbus vs. San Francisco in 2010: -18,202
Columbus vs. San Francisco in 2017: -5,193
Average annual Columbus gain 2010-2017: +1,858
At a similar rate into the near future, Columbus should pass SF by 2020 or 2021.

Columbus vs. Jacksonville in 2010: -34,751
Columbus vs. Jacksonville in 2017: -12,892
Average annual Columbus gain 2010-2017: +3,123
At a similar rate into the near future, Columbus should pass Jacksonville by 2021 or 2022.

Other than Charlotte, there are no other cities below Columbus that are a threat for at least the next few decades- even Seattle- so Columbus will probably settle into its current ranking of 14th or 13th... or 12th if it can catch up to San Jose, but that's probably a good 15 years or so distant.
Um, don’t think so. Charlotte recent growth is 1.79%, COL 1.14%. 2019 pop. COL 890,228 vs CLT 889,019 which means Columbus will be leapfrogged in the next year or so. Jacksonville recent growth rate is 1.48% Dont see COL gaining on J-Villle. FYI Georgia, NC will jump OH Pop with the next 12-13 years.

Old 03-01-2019, 08:19 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,287,487 times
Quote:
Columbus is like Austin in terms of being a State Capital, home to a major university and around 900,000 in city population.
It's also like Columbus in that if you don't specify what state its located in, large portions of the country won't know what you're talking about. It's also similar to Columbus in that it is a few hours drive from two more prominent, amenity-rich metros.

Ways that it differs from Columbus is that its relevance still hinges on a convention that could leave for another city at any time, and that it is a city approaching 1 million without professional sports or a prime time airport.

Old 03-02-2019, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZnGuy View Post
Um, don’t think so. Charlotte recent growth is 1.79%, COL 1.14%. 2019 pop. COL 890,228 vs CLT 889,019 which means Columbus will be leapfrogged in the next year or so. Jacksonville recent growth rate is 1.48% Dont see COL gaining on J-Villle. FYI Georgia, NC will jump OH Pop with the next 12-13 years.
Where are you getting 2019 populations? The Census won't even issue 2018's numbers until May. MORPC has a 2018 estimate, which I already posted on this thread, and it's higher than your number for this year. While MORPC is obviously not the Census, previous estimates from them have been very similar to the released Census numbers. If that continues to be true, Columbus would've passed 900,000 last year and is probably somewhere along the lines of 910K right now.

I posted the population numbers for Jacksonville, and Columbus is literally gaining on it rapidly. You can't just close your eyes and deny it.

Also, what does any of this have to do with Indianapolis?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus