U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 03:29 PM

13 posts, read 42,359 times

Advertisements

My husband is looking into a possible business venture that may relocate our family to Columbus. We are an interracial couple with 3 children. We also happen to be Muslim, so living close to the local Muslim community is a priority for us as well. My husband will be travelling to Columbus in the coming months so I'd like to find out which are the most ethnically diverse areas so he can check them out while there. Since we also have school aged children (both high school and elementary level) we're looking for areas with quality schools. Nothing is definite at this point, but I'd like to get as much information as possible to help make an informed decision. We currently own our condo where we currently live but would probably rent first until we got a good feel for the city and decided on where to settle. I'm not sure what an average price is for rental properties there, but a decent 3 BR with heat included here will run between $800-$1000/month. Are prices comparable there?

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2013, 04:13 PM

249 posts, read 568,179 times
Gahanna, Westerville, parts of Dublin

Old 04-01-2013, 05:02 PM

16,096 posts, read 15,876,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana77 View Post
My husband is looking into a possible business venture that may relocate our family to Columbus. We are an interracial couple with 3 children. We also happen to be Muslim, so living close to the local Muslim community is a priority for us as well. My husband will be travelling to Columbus in the coming months so I'd like to find out which are the most ethnically diverse areas so he can check them out while there. Since we also have school aged children (both high school and elementary level) we're looking for areas with quality schools. Nothing is definite at this point, but I'd like to get as much information as possible to help make an informed decision. We currently own our condo where we currently live but would probably rent first until we got a good feel for the city and decided on where to settle. I'm not sure what an average price is for rental properties there, but a decent 3 BR with heat included here will run between $800-$1000/month. Are prices comparable there?

Thanks!
If living close to others with similar faith is important, the best place may be the Dublin area. It has a large population of East Asians, many of which are Muslim. It also has a good school system. However, it is an outer suburb. Other areas you might look into that are more diverse are many of the neighborhoods along High Street from Merion Village up through Clintonville. This corridor is made up of mostly walkable neighborhoods with more overall racial and ethnic diversity than your average suburban area further out. However, the downside would be that they are Columbus Schools, but there are some good individual schools and of course, there are private schools within the city as well, so I wouldn't let that be a deterrent. Rental prices are going to vary quite a bit, but are generally higher in the central core areas, but not always.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:41 AM

Thank you both Cooks50 and jbcmh81! I will let my husband know to check out some of these areas while he is there. I did have one question, about Columbus schools. Are they bad as a whole or are they a mixed bag? The reason being is that my husband is a native French speaker so we were interested in the Ecole Kenwood French Immersion for my youngest and the International HS for my oldest who already speaks French. Anyone have any first hand knowledge with either of these schools?

Old 04-02-2013, 11:09 AM

16,096 posts, read 15,876,332 times
Quote:
Thank you both Cooks50 and jbcmh81! I will let my husband know to check out some of these areas while he is there. I did have one question, about Columbus schools. Are they bad as a whole or are they a mixed bag? The reason being is that my husband is a native French speaker so we were interested in the Ecole Kenwood French Immersion for my youngest and the International HS for my oldest who already speaks French. Anyone have any first hand knowledge with either of these schools?
Some are better than others. Unfortunately I don't have any first-hand knowledge with those specific schools.

Old 04-02-2013, 05:31 PM

Okay, sounds like where we are living now. I guess we'll have to give them a look. Thanks though, it's something to keep in mind when doing our search.

Old 04-02-2013, 09:47 PM

1,846 posts, read 4,430,928 times
Quote:
Okay, sounds like where we are living now. I guess we'll have to give them a look. Thanks though, it's something to keep in mind when doing our search.

I don't know if you have ever looked at greatschools.org as a guide. The first school you mentioned seems to have some good reviews, but they have some low test scores as well. I didn't dig too deep into it, but they only have a 4 out of 10; with 10 being a top notch school.

Here's the link. It may prove useful in your searches.

Ecole Kenwood Alternative Elementary School - Columbus, Ohio - OH - School overview

I have used the website a lot in the past to research particular school districts as well as individual schools. SOmetimes you have to take the reviews with a grain of salt, because unfortunately not everyone who is happy writes a review. SOmetimes reviews only get written by someone who is mad. For that reason, I look at test scores and reviews combined.

The Columbus Dispatch (local newspaper) has information that they compile annually. Maybe this will also help you out:

Ohio school district rankings | The Columbus Dispatch

One more thing to note is that in Ohio they have great home school programs. So you can choose to do that; and in some cases get free computer and free broadband for the home. One other thing is that if your child is slated to go to a poor performing school, they offer vouchers to help pay for private schools if you choose to do that.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:09 PM

Thanks brianjb. I completely forgot about that website. I'll take a look at that. My oldest currently is enrolled in a k12 curriculum, but we've discovered it's not the best option for her. I do like the curriculum but the lack of socialization has been difficult for her. I appreciate the link to the local paper as well

Old 04-03-2013, 06:29 AM

225 posts, read 424,951 times
International is a newer high school. It has only been around 3 years I believe. Next year will be the first year that they have a senior class. They are also adding 7th and 8th grades in the same building thus becoming Columbus International 7-12. It is in its infancy but is built on a solid premise heavily focused on language and language acquisition. I think in time it will develop into a very good school, they have a great principal there and seem to be building momentum and carrying our their mission statement. I know they have open houses at some point during the year, it might be worth calling the school and seeing when it is or if you can tour the building.

Old 04-05-2013, 01:45 PM

1,277 posts, read 4,383,561 times
Northwest columbus just south of dublin is very diverse
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus