Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2013, 05:39 PM

420 posts, read 704,105 times

Advertisements

Columbus Named Most Intelligent City In America - WCMH: News, Weather, and Sports for Columbus, Ohio

LOL, thought this was quite amusing.

article:

Quote:
COLUMBUS, Ohio - If you are feeling brainy it could be because you are part of the smartest workforce in America. The Intelligent Communities Forum has named Columbus in the top seven most intelligent cities in the world, and it is the only American city to make the cut.
ICF founder Robert Bell came to Columbus to present an award marking the achievement, and to also judge the city for signs of intelligence that could lead to the city being named the most intelligent city in the world for 2013.
Moderator cut: quote shortened, copyright protection. please read the tos

Last edited by Yac; 04-04-2013 at 02:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 06:05 PM

688 posts, read 1,116,657 times
If Columbus is the best this nation has to offer we truly are FUBAR.

Old 04-05-2013, 01:16 AM

368 posts, read 638,415 times
imo if more of the nation was like columbus.we would all be better off,research and education have always been columbus strengths,i think having an educated population is a good thing.

Old 04-05-2013, 05:47 AM

2,221 posts, read 4,389,805 times
I disagree that Columbus would be at top of list. I would put many cities above like Boston & Raleigh as a start. This is an interesting article on cities that are seeing the most growth of college grads. The U.S. Cities Getting Smarter The Fastest - Forbes. The cities that the grads are moving to tend to be the cities that are seeing population growth, cities people want to move to, i.e. Sunbelt. There are no Northern cities listed in top ten.

Last edited by ZnGuy; 04-05-2013 at 06:08 AM..

Old 04-05-2013, 08:37 AM

225 posts, read 462,167 times
That Forbes list is all based on areas that are growing fast, hence they would be getting smarter the fastest. However, as with anything, those who start with the least have the most to gain.

My wife is a professor and I teach at the junior high level and we both have noticed that our students tend to have an overall higher level on knowledge than did their counterparts in Houston where we both worked identical jobs for the past 4.5 years.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:17 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,048,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZnGuy View Post
I disagree that Columbus would be at top of list. I would put many cities above like Boston & Raleigh as a start. This is an interesting article on cities that are seeing the most growth of college grads. The U.S. Cities Getting Smarter The Fastest - Forbes. The cities that the grads are moving to tend to be the cities that are seeing population growth, cities people want to move to, i.e. Sunbelt. There are no Northern cities listed in top ten.
The article did mention Columbus specifically, however, as now having the same per capita grads as cities more regularly given higher marks on this, such as Portland and Chicago.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:19 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,048,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bam989863 View Post
That Forbes list is all based on areas that are growing fast, hence they would be getting smarter the fastest. However, as with anything, those who start with the least have the most to gain.

My wife is a professor and I teach at the junior high level and we both have noticed that our students tend to have an overall higher level on knowledge than did their counterparts in Houston where we both worked identical jobs for the past 4.5 years.
Exactly. It's also likely that those same cities have some of the fastest rates of growth in HS dropouts as well. Fastest growing tends to include all groups, not just the ones considered positive.

Old 04-05-2013, 04:39 PM

249 posts, read 609,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZnGuy View Post
You preface your statement by saying you would put Boston (a northern city) and Raleigh at the top, then you provide a random source to go on and say there aren't any northern cities mentioned. Doesn't make much sense to me

Old 04-05-2013, 09:05 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,389,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooks50 View Post
You preface your statement by saying you would put Boston (a northern city) and Raleigh at the top, then you provide a random source to go on and say there aren't any northern cities mentioned. Doesn't make much sense to me
Umm, I said IMO I would think Boston, Raleigh would Be ahead of columbus. THE FORBES LIST DOES NOT HAVE ANY NORTHERN CITIES IN TOP TEN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus