U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2013, 02:08 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,717,391 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any recommendations? Preferably a place within walking distance of campus, if not something within 5 miles will do. I'll be heading to Columbus for a few days next month for Orientation and I plan to check out some apartments while I'm there. I'll have an $1100 housing allowance as part of my GI Bill, so I don't think the cost of rent should be an issue for studio or a one bedroom.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 06:06 PM

13,832 posts, read 12,245,106 times
Well, if you're looking in May (or June) you should have much better luck than the majority who will be looking in August. That would probably be my only suggestion...pay the extra month or two to lock up something if you don't want to scramble at the last minute, or have a long daily commute.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:06 AM

1,277 posts, read 4,377,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudcommando View Post
Anyone have any recommendations? Preferably a place within walking distance of campus, if not something within 5 miles will do. I'll be heading to Columbus for a few days next month for Orientation and I plan to check out some apartments while I'm there. I'll have an $1100 housing allowance as part of my GI Bill, so I don't think the cost of rent should be an issue for studio or a one bedroom.
Ya I think you will have plenty of options. I would suggest securing a place as soon as possible. Many places, right near OSU, already start signing their leases in dec/jan/feb.

By now most of the OSU area units are already being signed for starts in August. I would suggest visiting and looking at places as soon as you can. You should be okay in May too though.

Also, I would suggest that with the amount you are being given, you may want to look at options in the more mature, nicer urban neighborhoods near osu like south Clintonville or the northern part of Victorian Village of the short north. Clintonville is an area just north of OSU. The Short North is just south of OSU and is between OSU and downtown. Both are nice areas and may be more appealing if you dont' want to be right around only students. Also, Grandview is a good area (just west of OSU).

Most leases are August to Sept 1 of the following year (in the neighborhoods just near OSU like the University District) As you leave the university district, all other city neighborhoods (like the ones above), follow normal leasing patterns, where the place is usually up for lease as soon as its on the market not starting in Aug.

Old 05-14-2013, 07:03 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,717,391 times
Well I managed to grab one of the graduate apartments since I qualify as a non traditional student. Columbus feels like a good sized city but yet manages to retain that college town atmosphere, I like what I'm seeing so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus