Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 10:40 AM

28 posts, read 38,604 times

Advertisements

We just moved into the Sunbury area about a month ago...so if you have questions let me know. My fiance commutes to the airport in cbus and it is about a 35 minute drive for him. I had no trouble finding a job in Delaware county....so if your job is flexible Delaware, Sunbury, Powell, Lewis Center etc is a nice place to live!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 05:53 PM

43 posts, read 71,730 times
How do you like it so far?? We are looking at all if delaware county. Delaware, Sunbury, Ashley, Radnor, and Galena. My wife will probably just work part time for a few years until atleast two of our kids are in school. Thanks for the reply!

Old 12-18-2013, 06:10 PM

Also, if you have kids. How do you like big walnut schools so far?

Old 12-19-2013, 09:55 AM

We love it here! I do not have kids but I work in all the schools in delaware county! Big walnut, olentangy, delaware city and buckeye valley schools. I would recommend big walnut or olentangy. Big walnut will give you a more rural feel and is smaller. Olentangy is consistently rated high but less rural. Ashley is pretty far out there and is very small and rural. If you really want small you might enjoy it there. I don't care for delaware city as much but there are some nice areas and houses out of town. We love sunbury and are already considering buying here once our lease is up! Hope this helped!

Old 12-21-2013, 04:48 AM

166 posts, read 343,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLM12345 View Post
What areas of Madison county would you suggest? Schools good?
The state of Ohio keeps detailed rankings for every school and school district based on test scores, graduating rates, attendance, etc. You can get to them from the state's website, but it's even easier from the Dispatch: Ohio school district rankings | The Columbus Dispatch

In Madison County, Jonathon Alder (which is in Plain City) is the only district with high ratings. The other 3 districts don't have great ratings, but that doesn't mean they are bad schools. Sometimes the rural schools struggle to keep up with the suburban schools on test scores, but you can still get a good education there.

While you're looking in Madison County, check out some of the rural parts of the Hilliard City School District. It's mostly in Franklin County, but about half the district is rural and it borders Madison County. You can find some of the same types of properties as in Madison County, but with good schools and a more reasonable commute to Columbus.

As others have mentioned, there are areas in Fairfield, Licking, and Delaware County that may meet your needs as well. Delaware County is the most expensive of the 3, and probably has the worst traffic as well. I don't know as much about Licking County as the other two, but there are some very decent school districts that are mostly rural. I delivered pizzas in the Canal Winchester/Pickerington areas for several years, and you can find lots of rural properties within those school districts. Both school districts are very good, but I feel like some of the ghetto from the Brice Rd. area is moving into the northern parts of Canal Winchester, so be warned of that. Bloom-Carroll Schools are good... that would be the Lithopolis and Carroll areas, just a little farther out than Canal and Pickerington. Very beautiful land out there... And a reasonable commute.

Old 12-21-2013, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethanyd View Post
We love it here! I do not have kids but I work in all the schools in delaware county! Big walnut, olentangy, delaware city and buckeye valley schools. I would recommend big walnut or olentangy. Big walnut will give you a more rural feel and is smaller. Olentangy is consistently rated high but less rural. Ashley is pretty far out there and is very small and rural. If you really want small you might enjoy it there. I don't care for delaware city as much but there are some nice areas and houses out of town. We love sunbury and are already considering buying here once our lease is up! Hope this helped!
Most of the houses we have looked at have been in buckeye valley, and delaware city schools. Can I ask what your "turn offs" are about delaware city and buckeye vàlley ?

Small and rural is what we want in a perfect world, but in small in rural areas there isn't as many houses available typically. Ideally we want to get a starter home for a few years until the kids are in school and my wife can go back to work full time. Then we want to build on some land.

Old 12-21-2013, 03:57 PM

Thank you for the great info and the link Robert

Old 12-21-2013, 09:27 PM

Another place we have been looking at is Ashville/South Bloomfield area. Anyone know much about those 2 places??

Old 12-22-2013, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLM12345 View Post
Most of the houses we have looked at have been in buckeye valley, and delaware city schools. Can I ask what your "turn offs" are about delaware city and buckeye vàlley ?

Small and rural is what we want in a perfect world, but in small in rural areas there isn't as many houses available typically. Ideally we want to get a starter home for a few years until the kids are in school and my wife can go back to work full time. Then we want to build on some land.

I don't work with the Buckeye Valley school's a ton so I don't have a ton to go on but driving through the Ashley area it is just too small/rural for me. However, if that is what you are looking for it might be a good fit. I work in mental health and the school isn't as helpful as most of the other schools I work at which could be a factor in my decision as well. It could be just that there are not as many staff and they don't have as much time to do that sort of stuff. I don't know exactly how rural you guys are looking for, but if you want more amenities I would stick to Delaware city, Lewis Center and even Sunbury area has more.

Delaware City has a more urban feel to it, schools are hit or miss. I've been to several outstanding schools and others not so much. I think it really depends on the school you would be at. If you want to know about some specific schools you can message me as I've been in almost all of them at one time or another!

Old 01-03-2014, 01:51 AM

24 posts, read 36,059 times
You should try looking at the west side of Hilliard, which borders the country. Excellent schools and close enough to family activities. It's also extremely affordable. And you can get to any part of Columbus within 30 minutes. Most of the communities people are mentioning here will take you 20-30 minutes to get to the outskirts of Columbus, and another 20-30 minutes to actually get anywhere within Columbus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus