Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 05:39 PM

43 posts, read 71,756 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
My wife and I currently live in the great state of Maryland(Sarcasm). We moved her four years ago from our home state of Ohio, where our hearts have always been. We're from Athens area, and would love to move back but there is a lack of jobs there for both of us.

We have decided to make our new home Columbus, but as I said we are from SE Ohio and don't know much about the Columbus area. Please help us with ideas of where to start looking. We have a big expensive house here in MD, but are looking to start over and get a start-up home for three to four years until our three kids are in school and can do away with daycare expenses.

Just as the title says, we would like to be in a rural area with that small town feel. I am a huge hunter so this is a must. Good schools is a must have obviously because we have three little girls. I believe with my job I have to be within 30 mins to actual Columbus.

I have been staring at the computer to try and figure this all out for days! Thank god I found this website so I can ask for help from the people who actually live there.

Thanks in Advance!
Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 06:26 PM

381 posts, read 642,459 times
Fairfield County sounds like your best bet if you are looking for hunting land and (maybe) a 30 minute drive to the outerbelt (270). Keep in mind, though, that the U.S. 33 corridor is rapidly developing and lots of people are looking for the same things in your post.

I have no idea about the schools but I believe there are a dozen school districts in Fairfield County alone.

Old 11-13-2013, 06:53 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,604,523 times
Also include the city of Delaware on your list and look around the outskirts, especially to the north. It's about 20 miles north of Columbus. I think it's the best of both worlds. You've got shopping at Polaris Mall to the southeast (Westerville) and then all the recreation stuff out at Alum Creek (and beyond).

Old 11-13-2013, 07:27 PM

Thank you!

We aren't looking to purchase any hunting land....yet. Lol. Hopefully I would be able to get permission to hunt from a land owner or farmer.

How is licking county? Schools? People?

Old 11-13-2013, 09:49 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,604,523 times
Newark is heavily blue collar, and lots of people smoke. Heath is slightly more upscale. If you're okay with smokers, housing is a lot cheaper than in Franklin Country (Columbus). There's certainly areas to hunt deer. Be warned, though. The economy gets more and more depressed the farther you get from Columbus. That's why I suggested Delaware.

The better towns in Licking Co are Granville (pricey) and Pataskala (somewhat pricey), but I wouldn't want the commute. They've been widening the freeway between Columbus and Newark, but it was a slow drive when I was last on it in July.

I imagine someone will be along to tout the virtues of New Albany, which is growing enough to almost be in Licking Co (it's mainly in Franklin Co). That's the problem: the growth (and high taxes). Hunting is not nearly as good. The condos are taking over. The schools are good, though.

You'll have to balance the need to be rural over your need for good schools. Perhaps homeschooling is an option for you?

Old 11-13-2013, 10:15 PM

383 posts, read 512,140 times
Tough one, Granville comes to mind right off the bat. Also Delaware county.

Old 11-13-2013, 11:01 PM

381 posts, read 642,459 times
Delaware County's going to be a parking lot before too long if they build that outlet mall.

Old 11-14-2013, 10:18 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,051,721 times
The only county around Columbus that isn't growing rapidly is Madison. It's very rural for the most part, and the borders of the two counties are separated by the Big Darby Creek areas. Try West Jefferson. A small, quiet town only about 15 minutes away from Columbus' west side. There will never be much development because of the watershed protections.

Old 11-14-2013, 11:02 AM

No, we aren't going to home school the kids. Not that there is anything wrong with home schooling, it's just that our kids are very social and love being around other kids.

If it came down to being around good hunting or schools obviously we would pick schools. I will certainly look at all the places you all have suggested!

Please keep the suggestions coming. They are greatly appreciated.

Old 11-14-2013, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
The only county around Columbus that isn't growing rapidly is Madison. It's very rural for the most part, and the borders of the two counties are separated by the Big Darby Creek areas. Try West Jefferson. A small, quiet town only about 15 minutes away from Columbus' west side. There will never be much development because of the watershed protections.
What areas of Madison county would you suggest? Schools good?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus