U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2013, 01:35 PM

6 posts, read 6,363 times

Advertisements

Thank you for all the information on this forum! My husband is interviewing for a job in downtown Columbus, so I am researching our options if we decide to move from our very comfortable life in Carmel, IN. We have two children (ages 3 and 1) and great network of family and friends. If we were to move, my ideal neighborhood would be as follows.....any suggestions for me?

1. I love architecture....I would prefer an older home, or at least a neighborhood/builder that offers character in their new construction.
2. Family friendly neighborhood, open to new people, spontaneous playdates, neighborhood traditions (e.g., xmas cookie exchange? Fourth of July festivities??)
3. A great yard would be awesome. IDEAL would be a yard with a creek, pool, wooded, secluded, etc.
4. Easy commute downtown
5. WALKABLE to restaurants and coffee shops....this is BIG for me!
6. Excellent schools
7. Up to 650K

Additional questions:
1. Any areas best for moms new to the area?
2. Besides typical MLS listing search, any secrets to finding "pocket listings", off the beaten path, i.e.. listings?
3. Recs for a kick-ass realtor that will truly go the extra mile for you???

Thank you!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2013, 06:05 AM

451 posts, read 769,211 times
Based upon your criteria, I'd say the suburbs of Bexley and Grandview Heights would be great fits, except for the part about creeks, wooded, secluded, etc. Both have old homes, are family friendly, have top-rated schools, are about 10 minutes from downtown and have walkable downtown areas with lots of restaurants and shops (Grandview Avenue in Grandview Heights and Main Street in Bexley). You might also look at Upper Arlington, another nice, older suburb with great schools. In particular, you might check out the area of Upper Arlington south of Lane Avenue.

Old 12-26-2013, 06:55 AM

146 posts, read 319,330 times
By commute times (short to long)

Grandview, Bexley, Upper Arlington (Close to Lane), Old Worthington (Close to High), Old Dublin

Grandview - Meets several of your criteria, not many lots that have large yards and wooded areas, however for 500K + you may be able to find a few. Realtor is key here, things go quick. There are a couple on Lincoln Rd for sale right now that I run by that may fit the bill. Great Tuesday summer kid concert series at the library, farmers market, great schools, ect.

For UA and Old Worthington to work you would want to be close to roads mentioned, that is where the majority of the shops and restaurants are.

Old 12-27-2013, 11:02 PM

259 posts, read 391,005 times
You should look closely at Worthington, specifically the areas walkable to Old Worthington.

Old Worthington is a lovely Norman Rockwellesque neighborhood with a downtown that has restaurants and shops, an excellent year-round farmer's market, lots of parks and a bike trail, a community pool, a community center, a national award-winning library and easy access to downtown. My husband's commute to the arena district is less than 30 minutes at the peak of rush hour. Worthington has a lot of community activities: a big community picnic and fireworks for the 4th of July, horsedrawn carriage rides/santa/community treelighting for xmas, free commuity concerts on the town Green each Sunday in the summer. Some neighborhoods have more formal community get-togethers (for example Colonial Hills has a monthly neighborhood park coffee playdate at Selby park and Wilson hill has a pre-k weekly or biweekly preschool park meetup when the weather is warm). I found it very easy to meet other families when we moved here. Between the neighborhood park, library story times and meeting our neighbors, we felt at home very quickly. The schools are neighborhood-based too, so once your kids hit kindergarten, it is very easy to make more neighborhood friends. It is a very down to earth vibe here too. It leans more crunchy than label conscious and there is a nice socioeconomic mix that keeps it from being very snobby.

The real trick is finding a house you want to buy at the exact time you want to buy it. People love Worthington and don't move very often unless they are moving up to a better house in the same neighborhood. A lot of the housing stock needs serious updating because people have lived there for 30 years. Houses that are priced well for the area are snatched up very very quickly. $600k puts you at the upper end of the market, but those houses are still very much in demand (especially if they have a larger lot, finished basement or are close to downtown). You can find wooded and/or larger lots if you are willing to live a little farther from downtown. The price of houses can vary greatly in a few blocks, so it really depends on exactly what you are looking for.

If you are still looking for a realtor, pm me and I can give you the name of the realtor we use. We are aggressively looking for a very specific kind of house in old worthington and she has been fantastic. She also does a lot of executive relo business, so she will be able to help you figure out other areas to consider.

I would also suggest Grandview for walkability, but I don't know as much about the amenities there. The lots are a little smaller, but the houses may be cuter on average. It is closer to downtown and the school district is small (which can be good or bad depending on your perspective). People who live in Grandview seem to really like it.

Good luck on your search!

Old 12-28-2013, 07:49 AM

6 posts, read 6,363 times
Thank you everyone for your input....I really, really appreciate it! Supergrrl7, if all works out, I'd love to PM you for your realtor info. Thank you so much!

Old 12-28-2013, 09:06 PM

166 posts, read 314,112 times
If you're looking for the best combination of walkability, safety, and schools, Grandview Heights and Bexley are the best choices. They also happen to be the closest true suburbs to downtown and are within 20 minutes of the entire metropolitan area, so you can't beat that. I would say Upper Arlington is your next best choice, then Worthington. If you plan on sending your children to private schools (there are a lot of Catholic schools around here in particular), consider Clintonville as well. Only problem with Clintonville is that it's Columbus schools, so it's not the best option if you prefer public schools. Westerville and Gahanna also have nice, walkable downtowns. There are plenty of other nice suburbs with good schools like Hilliard, Dublin, Powell, New Albany and Pickerington, but I don't think you'll be as pleased with the ability to walk to restaurants, coffee shops, retail, etc. Plus, the aforementioned suburbs are mostly newer communities with houses built within the past 30 years. Grandview, Bexley, Upper Arlington, Worthington, and Clintonville are better bets if you want older architecture.

Last edited by robertfoshizzle; 12-28-2013 at 09:09 PM.. Reason: Clarity

Old 12-28-2013, 09:16 PM

166 posts, read 314,112 times
I should mention though that nearly every suburb in the Columbus area has some sort of walkable central business district with some restaurants and retail... but some have more than others. Hilliard, Dublin, Powell, and Pickerington all have very quaint downtowns with sidewalks and some assortment of restaurants and such, but the variety is limited. I'm sure New Albany, Grove City, and other suburbs do as well, though I'm not as familiar with those areas. But they don't compare to Grandview or Bexley in those aspects.

Old 12-28-2013, 09:18 PM

275 posts, read 419,470 times
Worthington, Grandview and Clintonville are awesome choices.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:58 AM

16,203 posts, read 16,627,738 times
As others have said, Grandview. But you have to move fast on homes there... and I mean fast. The average house there sold in just 15 days last month.

Old 03-19-2014, 01:38 PM

10 posts, read 10,880 times
Either Old Worthington near the Worthington downtown or Upper Arlington south of Northam park, or South of lane avenue near Lane Avenue shopping mall would be your best bet. It's quite challenging to buy any house in both areas. School-wise the latter is slightly better, esp the South of Lane area. Green space, Creek, etc. -wise, the former could be better. Prices range widely depending on the house, and houses are not so uniform in either area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus