Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 11:48 AM

392 posts, read 1,062,006 times

Advertisements

Buddy, Norwood is far from a crime infested dump. I lived in Norwood. I never once had a problem with crime, and I got along great with people there. Yes I will admit, it has gone downhill since I've left Ohio, but you can't even put Norwood in the same conversation with places like Lincoln Heights. That's just stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 11:56 AM

166 posts, read 341,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badguykc View Post
Buddy, Norwood is far from a crime infested dump. I lived in Norwood. I never once had a problem with crime, and I got along great with people there. Yes I will admit, it has gone downhill since I've left Ohio, but you can't even put Norwood in the same conversation with places like Lincoln Heights. That's just stupid.
I didn't say all of Norwood. I said it has less than desirable parts. Need I remind you of the generalizations you made about an entire city?

What is stupid is coming on to a Columbus forum, going to a thread where someone asks about parts of Columbus to move to, and doing almost nothing but talking bad about Columbus and offering Cincinnati as an alternative when the OP didn't ask about Cincinnati.

Old 01-27-2014, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMahValley View Post
Cincinnati and Columbus economies are doing better than anything in Kentucky, but Columbus has Cincinnati beat in plenty of departments when it comes to economics.

There are plenty of native Kentuckians in Columbus and they seem to be doing great for themselves. I love Cincinnati, moreso than Columbus, but everything you said about Columbus is subjective. Do you know their likes and interests? You talk about public transit like Cincinnati excels in that department? Cincy's public transit is a joke, too. You want real transit where you can travel the city and suburbs, move to Cleveland. That is a good option if you have family in Carroll County. There is more than the zoo and Short North in Columbus. And lets not act like Cincinnati doesn't have crime. In fact, Cincinnati is already off to a pretty rough start to 2014. And the mayor isn't doing much down there to make Cincinnati have a very progressive image and keeping to the Cincinnati provincial attitude. Meth labs? Read how bad the meth problem is in NKY!!!!
The OP is referring to the village of Carroll, a rural town about 25-30 minutes southeast of downtown Columbus.

Old 01-27-2014, 12:25 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,994,294 times
Quote:
Yes. Living in Norwood as I do, I must agree that this community doesn't belong in conversations that include Lincoln Heights, Avondale, Lower Price Hill and other such crime-ridden Cincinnati communities. Over the last three decades, Norwood has indeed suffered incredible manufacturing losses (namely the huge GM Camaro/Nova plant), but, in turn, it's become a diverse neighborhood with a much altered future. (And having the new and successful "Rookwood" retail complex within its borders doesn't hurt at all!)

Old 01-27-2014, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
Yes. Living in Norwood as I do, I must agree that this community doesn't belong in conversations that include Lincoln Heights, Avondale, Lower Price Hill and other such crime-ridden Cincinnati communities. Over the last three decades, Norwood has indeed suffered incredible manufacturing losses (namely the huge GM Camaro/Nova plant), but, in turn, it's become a diverse neighborhood with a tremendously altered future. (And having the new and successful "Rookwood" retail complex within its borders doesn't hurt at all!)
I didn't mean to say Norwood is nearly as bad as some of the areas mentioned. The fact is, there are many areas badguykc seems to think are bad that are very similar to areas in and around Cincinnati. He said to avoid Whitehall, yet Whitehall has a lot of similarities to Norwood. I still give Norwood the edge, but I am able to look at things from an unbiased perspective. Cincinnati is my hometown and I will always have a special place in my heart for it.

Old 01-27-2014, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertfoshizzle View Post
I didn't mean to say Norwood is nearly as bad as some of the areas mentioned. The fact is, there are many areas badguykc seems to think are bad that are very similar to areas in and around Cincinnati. He said to avoid Whitehall, yet Whitehall has a lot of similarities to Norwood. I still give Norwood the edge, but I am able to look at things from an unbiased perspective. Cincinnati is my hometown and I will always have a special place in my heart for it.
In turn, although I also love Cincinnati (my hometown) I don't wish to dissuade the OP--aka, "Sjane08"--from their original focus upon Columbus (if that's their sole intent), but also to consider Cincinnati--especially, considering their Ky. orientation.

Both Columbus and Cincinnati are winners and each will provide this couple with big-city options. (but not in the same ways--and this may make a tremendous difference) This couple simply needs to decide for themselves what's important and make the necessary choice.

Old 01-27-2014, 02:06 PM

16,345 posts, read 17,948,634 times
Quote:
Too bad Grandview and Upper Arlington are not even part of the city of Columbus, which I was referring to in my post. You of all people should know that. Did you even live in Franklin County when you were there, or were you from somewhere like Marysville or Delaware County?

The only "revitalization" going on in Franklinton is when the hookers who walk Sullivant, Broad and Mound Street buy new outfits. Okay, that's not necessarily true, and that joke will probably get me warned by a moderator, but anyone who's ever lived in Columbus knows that Franklinton is hooker central.

You're absolutely right, I don't like Columbus. But tell me one thing I said about the people, the attractions, or the crime within the city limits isn't true. Of all the American cities I've lived in/visited, only Detroit depresses me more than Columbus did. Hell, even Fargo, North Dakota (a city only a fraction of the size of Columbus) has more to see and do than central Ohio does.
They're part of the general "West Side" in reference and include very large sections of it. But of course, you didn't really specify where you meant. As with everything else you said, you chose to use large generalizations.

I was born in Franklinton, went to SWCS, lived in Hilliard, Westerville, Hilltop and North Linden.

You obviously don't follow development if you think Franklinton has nothing going on. Here, let me help you out:

Zoning board OKs auto racing at Cooper Stadium site | The Columbus Dispatch
This is a $50 million project that has recently broken ground.

Plans announced for redesigned Scioto River | The Columbus Dispatch
This $35 million project will improve the river and add new trails and parkland on both sides, including Franklinton. It's currently under construction.

400 West Rich Grows Rapidly in First Year
This is a warehouse complex that has been developed as an arts space, a restaurant and bar and event space. The project continues to expand.

Orange Barrel Media Plans Franklinton Headquarters
Orange Barrel Media is currently constructing a new HQ at a former concrete plant.

For city historical society, location is everything | The Columbus Dispatch
The city's historical society moved to COSI, which is part of the Scioto Peninsula/East Franklinton.

Renovations Under Way at Three Deuces in Franklinton

East Franklinton Planned as Dense Hub of Urban Creativity
A new development plan was released for East Franklinton, calling for tons of dense infill over time. This standard is now being adopted by subsequent development, of which you can see linked below.

New Dodge Pool in Franklinton is a Hit this Summer
Dodge Park was renovated.

Green Columbus Grant to Assist Franklinton Live-Work Development
Similar to 400 West Rich, another live-work project was moving forward on State Street.

Franklinton Art Lofts Seeking Potential Residents
A residential project has been proposed south of 400 Rich.

Arch City Development quarterbacking projects as one-man consulting firm - Columbus - Business First
The Franklinton Tap Room will be under construction later this year.

The Commissary Brings Kitchen Incubator to Franklinton

Town and Rich Streets to Go Two-Way in Franklinton

Food trucks get full-year host as Franklinton?s Dinin? Hall winterizes - Columbus - Business First

Franklinton: Volunteers of America to build apartments | The Columbus Dispatch

ArtPlace America grant landed by effort to create Columbus Idea Foundry HQ in Franklinton - Columbus - Business First

New Gateway Concepts Shared for Town and Rich Streets in Franklinton

Franklinton cycling event takes it to the streets | The Columbus Dispatch

Vets museum, zoo attraction highlight Scioto Peninsula remake | The Columbus Dispatch
This is probably the most significant news for Franklinton in the last 50 years. The entire Scioto Peninsula, a part of Franklinton, will be developed over the next several years. All told, at least a few hundred million in investment will go in. At least 1,000 residential units, retail, a new park, a new Columbus Zoo expansion and hotel, a new Vets Memorial, etc. are all part of this project.

Wood.Metal.Art Announces Grand Opening in Franklinton

Strongwater Opens Event Space at 400 West Rich

http://development.columbus.gov/uplo...20Nov%2019.pdf
http://development.columbus.gov/uplo...Elevations.pdf
Another proposed residential project.

Harmony Project to Open Beacon Hall Venue in Franklinton

Michael Reidelbach aiming for neighborhood revival with Franklinton Preparatory Academy - Columbus - Business First

In short, this is just over the last few years, and the pace of announcements is increasing. Franklinton is going places.

You were wrong about crime, as the actual stats don't support it. As to your "everyone's rude and there's nothing to do", it's pretty easy to chalk that up to your own attitude which, frankly, sucks. It's a reliably accurate standard that people who don't make any effort are going to find problems. I wish you well wherever you currently live, but the problem was not the city. Hyperbole and generalizations don't make for convincing arguments to the contrary.

Old 01-27-2014, 02:19 PM

^ jbcmh81--you're coming on much too strong and defensive in protection of Cbus' "weak links." All this does is to convince outsiders that there's much too much to be hidden--so please back off.

Old 01-27-2014, 04:18 PM

16,345 posts, read 17,948,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
^ jbcmh81--you're coming on much too strong and defensive in protection of Cbus' "weak links." All this does is to convince outsiders that there's much too much to be hidden--so please back off.
Actually, I think it rather proves that people care about the city enough to not want disinformation spread about its neighborhoods. I've been around long enough to know you do the same thing to Cincinnati naysayers. It's one thing to not like the city. I can understand that, because not everyone will. But one can hold that opinion without building it on lies, and when they choose to offer that view in public and make those claims, it's open season.

Old 02-02-2014, 05:10 PM

392 posts, read 1,062,006 times
What you say about the West End, Price Hill, and Avondale, could very easily be said about much of the south end of Columbus.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to watch the Super Bowl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus