Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 01:16 PM

122 posts, read 194,726 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Hoping to get some areas (boroughs, neighborhoods, townships, whatever they're called there) to start looking at to get a feel for things.

We'll be moving to Columbus sometime between February and July. More than likely closer to July. We know one of us will be working at Ohio State Wexner Medical Center. We have one child, 3 years old, and two large dogs. The things that are important to us are safety, and school quality. We are not concerned with the level of diversity an area has one way or the other. We don't care about walk-ability, nor do we use public transit and since we have a three year old, nightlife isn't important to us either. I don't really have a monthly amount in mind as far as rental payment goes, though we are currently paying around 1600.00 a month on a mortgage. We plan to rent for at least the first year, since we do not know how long we are staying. That rental could extend a year or two, or if we find that we will be staying long term, we'll buy something. Hopefully at that point we'll be a little more cognizant of the city.

So, with all that said, where should we be looking?

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2013, 01:38 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,176,682 times
Powell. Possibly Worthington or Dubin too

Old 10-14-2013, 01:52 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,119,897 times
Clintonville. It's a nice, safe area and much closer to OSU than any of the outer suburbs. Would basically be a quick drive down 315 to Wexner from there. And even though you don't care about walkability, it does have a nice little downtown area with lots of shops and restaurants.

Old 10-14-2013, 02:05 PM

122 posts, read 194,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Clintonville. It's a nice, safe area and much closer to OSU than any of the outer suburbs. Would basically be a quick drive down 315 to Wexner from there. And even though you don't care about walkability, it does have a nice little downtown area with lots of shops and restaurants.

that's certainly a plus. I guess when I say I don't care, I mean it isn't a determining factor for us in the way safety and quality of schools are.

Old 10-14-2013, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OniNoKen View Post
that's certainly a plus. I guess when I say I don't care, I mean it isn't a determining factor for us in the way safety and quality of schools are.
Clintonville is Columbus schools, but they're generally much better than the average in that area because of the demographics.

Old 10-14-2013, 07:00 PM

11 posts, read 10,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
parts of Clintonville are nice the other parts are the ghetto, Northern Lights is ghetto there is nothing nice about that area.

Old 10-14-2013, 07:06 PM

11 posts, read 10,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OniNoKen View Post
Hi,

Hoping to get some areas (boroughs, neighborhoods, townships, whatever they're called there) to start looking at to get a feel for things.

We'll be moving to Columbus sometime between February and July. More than likely closer to July. We know one of us will be working at Ohio State Wexner Medical Center. We have one child, 3 years old, and two large dogs. The things that are important to us are safety, and school quality. We are not concerned with the level of diversity an area has one way or the other. We don't care about walk-ability, nor do we use public transit and since we have a three year old, nightlife isn't important to us either. I don't really have a monthly amount in mind as far as rental payment goes, though we are currently paying around 1600.00 a month on a mortgage. We plan to rent for at least the first year, since we do not know how long we are staying. That rental could extend a year or two, or if we find that we will be staying long term, we'll buy something. Hopefully at that point we'll be a little more cognizant of the city.

So, with all that said, where should we be looking?

Thanks for your help!
The best area for you to move to is the Victorian Village area. It is walking distance to your job the crime rate is zero and there are many respected white people and some black and other minorities that live in this neighborhood.

Old 10-14-2013, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmawipes View Post
parts of Clintonville are nice the other parts are the ghetto, Northern Lights is ghetto there is nothing nice about that area.
Northern Lights as in Linden? That's not Clintonville at all.

Old 10-15-2013, 06:22 AM

490 posts, read 867,323 times
If I were in your situation I'd check out Upper Arlington. It's an older suburb with a lot of neat homes, a fantastic school district, almost no crime, and it's only 5 minutes from OSU.

Old 10-15-2013, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbus76 View Post
If I were in your situation I'd check out Upper Arlington. It's an older suburb with a lot of neat homes, a fantastic school district, almost no crime, and it's only 5 minutes from OSU.
Or Grandview Heights. Pretty much the same thing, only a bit cheaper than UA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus